Processor choosement

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Ironic considering you are seriously thinking about paying double the cost of an AM4 8 core system to have a 6 core X99 system.

CPU:

i7 7700K --> 370

R7 1700 --> 360

i7 6800K --> 410

Mobo:

ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO --> 270

ASUS CROSHAIR VI HERO --> 260

ASUS X99 STRIX --> 300

Price in euros

So that doesnt even make sense

Not double. And in my country its about the same prices for r7 1700 and 7700K

6 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

CPU:

C7 7700K --> 370

R7 1700 --> 360

Mobo:

Price in euros

1 i was referring to X99. 2. Except you dont need an X99/Z270 like chipset to OC on Ryzen.

B350 Mobo £80

8 core R7 1700 £305 (including decent cooler)

= £385

6 core 6800k alone (no cooler included) = £396

X99 mobos are a joke so lets not even look and pretend they are free.

#Value

4 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

CPU:

i7 7700K --> 370

R7 1700 --> 360

i7 6800K --> 410

Mobo:

ASUS X99 STRIX --> 300

Price in euros

Not double. And in my country its about the same prices for r7 1700 and 7700K

I've watched a few benchmark videos and more cores does seem to actually help in newer games to the point where the 7700k is pegged at 99% usage to achieve the same performance as the higher core cpu's 

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

i was referring to X99. 2. Except you dont need an X99/Z270 like chipset to OC on Ryzen.

I updated BTW. 

X370 will do fine

1 minute ago, MekaStrix said:

I've watched a few benchmark videos and more cores does seem to actually help in newer games to the point where the 7700k is pegged at 99% usage to achieve the same performance as the higher core cpu's

Sooo? Ryzen 7 1700?

Let's wait for @PCGuy_5960's reply for that..

7 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

I updated BTW. 

X370 will do fine

Redoing for X370 (for some reason - guess you want crossfire/sli):

8 Core R7 1700 (including cooler) £305

Cheapest X370 Mobo £140

= £445

6 Core 6800k (No cooler) £396

Cheapest Mobo £180

Basic Air cooler  £30

= £606

#Value

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Oh god don't tag capt'n blue... 

I do cuz you are red. 

RED is good for budget GPU

RED is 'kinda ok' for CPU

1 minute ago, AndriesM said:

I do cuz you are red. 

My systems currently in daily use in my home:

Computer 1: 6th Gen Blue Cpu, Green Gpu

Computer 2: Red Cpu, Green Gpu

So yes i'm very very red biased :) "kinda ok" you are still stuck in the bulldozer mindset that was a pile of crap and everyone knows it including amd. Times change. You can't argue that the R7 is better price to performance, future games will use more cores and its better for the original goal of this thread than the 6 core 6800k. Honestly to compete with it for your needs you need the 6900k, at which point price to performance goes out the window. All i'll say is take both sides advice, don't be a sheep and do your research.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

My current system

Blue CPU and Blue GPU 

xD

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

My systems:

So yes i'm very very red biased :) 

Sounds like my pc setups lol :D I have the 8320e in my second pc with a gtx770 it was basically just a load of my old parts collecting dust in a cupboard so I made a backup system with them for when I need to do work to my pc like upgrades. Accept I have a 6900k at the moment in my main pc and I was thinking of downgrading to the 7700k but now after some benchmark videos thinking I might be best to stick with it for now I recon the 6900k will be good for another few years tbh if amd is only just on par with it.

1 minute ago, AndriesM said:

My current system

Blue CPU and Blue GPU 

xD

:P:) that was to attempt to portray non bias. Btw in my home the difference between the 6700k system and the 1700 is that the 1700 is also used for streaming and editing.

EDIT: At the end of the day Its your money do what you want i'm just trying to help you get the best value and satisfy the scenario outlined in the op. Good luck :)

Just now, tom_w141 said:

1700 is also used for streaming and editing.

Ok which chip is faster for same thing?

8 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

Ok which chip is faster for same thing?

Hmm? the 6700k is not suited for content creation so tbh i've never ran them side by side but i bet you can find those conclusions online. tldr 8 cores 16 threads will win by far.

Streaming smoother and better quality on the 1700. You can stream on the 6700k if you used the gpu to encode but due to twitch bitrate limitations you can't match the quality to the software encoded cpu stream.

Gaming is a tie on all fields above 1080p ~120Hz (because of gpu bottleneck at 1440p and above). If you are playing 1080p 144Hz or even higher then yes the 6700k wins here in todays quad core focused games. In future games which better utilise more cores? The quad core will likely fall behind.

EDIT: Also see the other edit in the above post :) Do whatever suits your needs and if you feel like your money should go on the X99 platform then go for it mate. I just personally think the money could be better spent elsewhere e.g. GPU

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Hmm? the 6700k is not suited for content creation so tbh i've never ran them side by side but i bet you can find those conclusions online. tldr 8 cores 16 threads will win by far.

Streaming smoother and better quality on the 1700. You can stream on the 6700k if you used the gpu to encode but due to twitch bitrate limitations you can't match the quality to the software encoded cpu stream.

Gaming is a tie on all fields above 1080p ~120Hz (because of gpu bottleneck at 1440p and above). If you are playing 1080p 144Hz or even higher then yes the 6700k wins here in todays quad core focused games. In future games which better utilise more cores? The quad core will likely fall behind.

I'm quite interested to see intels response to ryzen with the x299 platform but I find it weird that they are going to release a quad core part for that platform first when quad cores should definitely not be on the next enthusiast platform 

Just now, MekaStrix said:

I'm quite interested to see intels response to ryzen with the x299 platform but I find it weird that they are going to release a quad core part for that platform first when quad cores should definitely not be on the next enthusiast platform 

Intel will try and push the quad core as long as possible.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

It seems from what I have read though they are just milking it with Kabylake the enthusiast chip sounds like it is basically a 7700k but clocked at 4.3ghz base 

1 hour ago, AndriesM said:

Just get a i5 6600 if its pure for gaming (No OC, no Optane support)

And a RX480 

And a h110 mobo

PSU and the other usual stuff. Good budget case is be quiet!'s pure base 600TG

Ow. i now see you have a good PC. Just keep it

I can't go mitx with it though, which is my plan for my next build.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

11 hours ago, Crossbred said:

I can't go mitx with it though, which is my plan for my next build.

Tip --> NZXT Manta or Streacom DB4

13 hours ago, AndriesM said:

I do cuz you are red. 

Lol just go with the 7700K 

Don't have to convince yourself with Ryzen when you've already generalize the amd brand as only "kinda ok".

"kinda ok" isn't gonna wow you. 

If it takes you that long to find a reason why you'll need 8 cores. You most likely won't need it. And for that the 7700K will be a good choice. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Don't have to convince yourself with Ryzen when you've already generalize the amd brand as only "kinda ok".

"kinda ok" isn't gonna wow you. 

I think i'll be going for R7 1700 w/ be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3.

I can clock it higher, and its more future-proof with the higher core count

14 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Oh god don't tag capt'n blue... 

If only you could think of a better argument than "you have an Intel profile pic so you must be an Intel fanboy" 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

How well does the Wraith Spire perform? Can you OC to 4.5 GHz w/ the Spire?

28 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

I think i'll be going for R7 1700 w/ be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3.

I can clock it higher, and its more future-proof with the higher core count

If you are mostly gaming, just get a 7700K. If you do a lot of rendring get Ryzen. Ryzen's CCXs cause issues with gaming and you will need at least 3200MHz DDR4 (with Samsung B-dies) to get gaming performance that is on par with a stock 4790K. If you want to be more futureproof, get a 5820K (and overclock it), it has more cores than a 7700K and no CCXs so it is just a bit slower than the 7700K in games.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, AndriesM said:

How well does the Wraith Spire perform? Can you OC to 4.5 GHz w/ the Spire?

hmm? The spire can take up to around 1.3V worth. What frequency you get there depends on chip but that's about 3.8GHz so an 800MHz oc isn't bad for a stock cooler.