Transporting my PC - doubt

Gmanliving

Hi,

I'll be moving my PC from one country to another and will be sending parts like the motherboard, gpu in its boxes in my check in luggage. Just wanted to know if I could keep the ram and cpu+stock cooler (i7 6700) attached to the motherboard and put it into the antistatic bag it came in. So it saves me 2 boxes and some extra assembly when i reach my destination.

Does this cause any problems?

Thanks in advance

this would not be a problem, they are both in there tight and wont be verry heavy either :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Gmanliving said:

Hi,

I'll be moving my PC from one country to another and will be sending parts like the motherboard, gpu in its boxes in my check in luggage. Just wanted to know if I could keep the ram and cpu+stock cooler (i7 6700) attached to the motherboard and put it into the antistatic bag it came in. So it saves me 2 boxes and some extra assembly when i reach my destination.

Does this cause any problems?

Thanks in advance

Yes that's not a problem as long as the cooler is fastened securely into place, I would recommend to double box the components with packing material if you have the space to provide it some extra shock resistance. 

I would take the cpu cooler off, leave cpu in socket, take out ram too, unless it fits in a box...

Get insurance on the shipping if you can

hard drives would be tricky too

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

3 minutes ago, Gmanliving said:

Snip

it would depend exactly on how things are being transported. your cooler would probably be fine to leave attached because of how robust motherboards are and how securely coolers are attached... however when it comes to RAM, too much pressure in the wrong direction on them could easily damage a port if left in place during transport unless you had some way of keeping pressure off of it (such as a properly fitted box where the board wouldn't move around or hit the edges). So I would probably pull the RAM out at least if I were you. even the largest RAM in the world is still relatively small and should fit easily into any sort of other container or transport method so it shouldn't be a big deal at all to do it this way.

I WOULD also recommend removing the CPU cooler for the same reason, but if there is some specific reason you needed to leave it attached then it probably wouldn't be a terribly huge deal. I would definitely remove the RAM if i were you though.

I've shipped 4 motherboards+CPU+RAM combos like that through the post fine soooo...I'd suspect when you have clothing and whatever extra as shock absorbers and not just one layer of cardboard and 2 layers of bubble wrap, it should be fine. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Yup that's fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

give it a light shake, does anything move or feel like it will ?, if u really want to, buy some antistatic bags and wrap the ram and stuff around it and keep it in a box full of packaging material.

also, because the parts are made of no moving parts (except the fan) all u need is to make sure it wont get static and it wont bend nor snap. i would keep the cpu cooler separate imo. take the fan off and keep it somewhere so it doesnt break (doesnt need to be static proof) and the alluminum part can be kept in any box, i would recommend removing the thermal paste. When u build ur pc back together, clean the cooler and reapply the paste