New build [edit] - RAM opinion needed - solved thanks to LTT Video! :D

r4q

Hi guys,

so I'm finally decided that I will do a completely new build and not upgrade my old setup anymore.

As I like my gear to be update-able for the next couple of years (even thou it should be relevant for quite some time the way I like it from the start)

I am having some issues and can't really decide on where to go.

Some basic assumptions of the Behemoth are:

Able to withstand a shitload of workload, both in gaming and working and both single and multi-threaded tasks

Kick-ass looks

Watercool like everything

RGBs!!

So after a little research I went with an idea like this:

i7-6850K

Asus Rampage V edition 10 (EKWB does a sweet full block for it)

GTX 1080TI obviously

128GB RAM - no idea what yet, I'd love the trident Z rgb but it's not in the OVL for the board fml :/

or I will just try to watercool ram too and then the looks of it wouldn't be an issue

The problems I have are obviously with the RAM - RGB vs Watercooling on it, and how would it work with some high-speed speed ram with that amout of GBs - any opinions anyone ?

Or can you maybe recommend any other motherboard for a build like that ? I'd love to hear your opinions about it!

Edit: oh yeah one more thing, I haven't checked yet but I suppose that there is/will be EKWB for 1080Ti right ? :D

EDIT 21.04.17

so I've settled for the parts as follows:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bnpgm8

Decided for Trident Z RGB because I wouldn't need to fight with striping it down and WC'ing it to be green and fit the rest of this build.

( why the hell is there like NO green ram? just blue, white, red, black, more red.... blah )

does someone have experience with this ram on that X99 board? 

I didn't go for the 128GBs because of, you know - fear of not posting at all and such. A little bit of cost too - still a lot of WC stuff to buy

But I'm wondering if it will run at those 3200Mhz ? Anyone ?

EDIT 2 21.04.17:

ok so after seeing the RAM speeds video from LTT and the test how much does it improve I've finally found something that suits my motherboard and fits the QVL

2666mhz dominator platinum it is then,

update the partpicker list aswell

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JdxGRG

so now I guess it's just waiting for everything to arrive and it will go to buildlogs sectionthen :D 

Alien v1.0

Spoiler

i7 6850K @4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage V Edition 10
Corsair H115i

GTX 1080Ti FE
Dell S2716DG

128 GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Corsair AX1200i 
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB

1. i7 6950x instead because why the fuck not

or Ryzen R7

2. Put 1080 Ti in SLI 

3. Trident Z is good what do you mean OVL?

4. Yes there will be EKEW for 1080ti

2 minutes ago, r4q said:

i7-6850K

Wait for intels X299.  It comes out in August and it will replace X99.  Even if you decide to stick with the last gen X99 it likely will cost less.

2 minutes ago, r4q said:

recommend any other motherboard

http://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/103369-asus-rog-maximus-ix-extreme-z270-motherboard-announced/

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

X299, why not get next gen?

Just now, Damascus said:

X299, why not get next gen?

Image result for waiting meme

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

August isn't that far away...  We've seen leaks (7740) and they looked good

make sure not to wimp out on the RGB with like two light strips and two fans or something, go balls to the wall with it, 6+ stips, RGB water cooling fittings, RGB fans everywhere possible and so on. i hate it when youtubers go "this build has all the RGB!!!!" and its like two fans and a light strip >:(

*edit*

what i have planed for the Toaster Project is more freaking RGB then some of those "RGB computers" they shit out...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Damascus said:

August isn't that far away...  We've seen leaks (7740) and they looked good

yeah just half a year isn't that far

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

or Ryzen R7

2. Put 1080 Ti in SLI 

3. Trident Z is good what do you mean OVL?

4. Yes there will be EKEW for 1080ti

1. because it's 4x the cost and I fear the single core performance (we all do play some shitty old games sometimes right?)

and I haven't seen any Ryzen motherboard with 8 RAM slots, so nope.

2. I thought that's obvious :D

3. I mean Asus support page doesn't say it's compatible with this motherboard, so does G.skill page :/

4. good to know, thanks!

and yeah about the wait, August might not be far away but I am gonna build it soon, not then, so I need the things that are available right now. I think that X99 will still be relevant enough, many ppl still rocking some old i7s of the "higher" tier without complaining so that's what convinced me to it.

@Bananasplit_00 Don't worry, it will be lit as hell :D at least that's the plan. Case is still in development but I wanna make sure it looks sweet ^^

Alien v1.0

Spoiler

i7 6850K @4.6Ghz

Corsair H115i

GTX 1080Ti FE
Dell S2716DG

Corsair AX1200i 

Just now, r4q said:

1. because it's 4x the cost and I fear the single core performance (we all do play some shitty old games sometimes right?)

and I haven't seen any Ryzen motherboard with 8 RAM slots, so nope.

2. I thought that's obvious :D

3. I mean Asus support page doesn't say it's compatible with this motherboard, so does G.skill page :/

4. good to know, thanks!

and yeah about the wait, August might not be far away but I am gonna build it soon, not then, so I need the things that are available right now. I think that X99 will still be relevant enough, many ppl still rocking some old i7s of the "higher" tier without complaining so that's what convinced me to it.

@Bananasplit_00 Don't worry, it will be lit as hell :D at least that's the plan. Case is still in development but I wanna make sure it looks sweet ^^

1. oh ok, damn ryzen, well don't get 6850k it's pointless for extra, get a 6800k instead

2. ah well yeah

3. it should work it's ddr4 anyway

I'd go with the 1800x (that's just me tho) or wait for x299., x299 will likely smash x99 and Ryzen because intel want to close the gap a little more between them and AMD.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

It is sad that skylake-e is still months away, that'd be the best for sure because broadwell-e is on the edge of getting "outdated" if you want the top of the line... I would rather build it around the 1800x than the 6850k because you'd save some cash for the rest of the components like a 1080ti sli as well, though yeah limited memory... if you have unlimited money means though the 6950x would be lulz but I know that'd be far too expensive.

If you want to spend a shitload of money for the best ever and isn't on a rush I would try waiting... but I know waiting sucks and there might be the need for the rig soon...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

1. oh ok, damn ryzen, well don't get 6850k it's pointless for extra, get a 6800k instead

2. ah well yeah

3. it should work it's ddr4 anyway

1. it's like 100$ more between 6800k and 6850k for the bump from 3.4 to 3.6 Ghz 

3. Yeah well happend to me already once many years ago that the RAM didn't want to work on the desired speed because it was an overkill for the CPU memory controller. I propably must do some more research on the difference between 6800 and 6850 because I feel like the 128GBs of high speed ram can give it a lot of stress y'know. 

If anyone tried to put this much RAM yet I'd appreciate a comment on how it worked out.

Alien v1.0

Spoiler

i7 6850K @4.6Ghz

Corsair H115i

GTX 1080Ti FE
Dell S2716DG

Corsair AX1200i 

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

It is sad that skylake-e is still months away, that'd be the best for sure because broadwell-e is on the edge of getting "outdated" if you want the top of the line... I would rather build it around the 1800x than the 6850k because you'd save some cash for the rest of the components like a 1080ti sli as well, though yeah limited memory... if you have unlimited money means though the 6950x would be lulz but I know that'd be far too expensive.

If you want to spend a shitload of money for the best ever and isn't on a rush I would try waiting... but I know waiting sucks and there might be the need for the rig soon...

Yeah you're right on many points here but there's no buckets of money I can throw out, I want it to be spent on something that makes sense you know :D but there are some things I just kinda really really want ( cough 128GB ram cough) 

and yeah waiting sux and the components I mentioned in the first post are somewhat at a good price points imho.

It doesnt need to be the top of the line so to speak but I'd like it not to be boosted by some next gen medium grade ;)

Alien v1.0

Spoiler

i7 6850K @4.6Ghz

Corsair H115i

GTX 1080Ti FE
Dell S2716DG

Corsair AX1200i 

1 minute ago, r4q said:

Yeah you're right on many points here but there's no buckets of money I can throw out, I want it to be spent on something that makes sense you know :D but there are some things I just kinda really really want ( cough 128GB ram cough) 

and yeah waiting sux and the components I mentioned in the first post are somewhat at a good price points imho.

It doesnt need to be the top of the line so to speak but I'd like it not to be boosted by some next gen medium grade ;)

What kind of workloads you deal with that will need all those 128gb? It must be something really demanding, Adobe Premiere and all? Are you sure that 64gb on 3000mhz wouldn't suffice? because the 1800x has stronger multi-threaded performance than the 6800k/6850k maybe one thing can compensate the other?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

56 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

What kind of workloads you deal with that will need all those 128gb? It must be something really demanding, Adobe Premiere and all? Are you sure that 64gb on 3000mhz wouldn't suffice? because the 1800x has stronger multi-threaded performance than the 6800k/6850k maybe one thing can compensate the other?

well the 128Gigs are totally just for the sake of "why not" because I don't think I'd need that much, at least not for now, but I really love how the both sides of CPU socket surrounded by RAM look like... so it might as well be good with 64GBs but on 8 sticks for sake of aesthetics :) I think it might be a lot safer option and I could use some of the RAM I have laying around and those from my current build to get the 64GBs and strip them down and watercool so that it will match my desired color setup. 

But for the record the last build's 32GB were insufficient so yeah I can use up a shitload of RAM sometimes >.<

Alien v1.0

Spoiler

i7 6850K @4.6Ghz

Corsair H115i

GTX 1080Ti FE
Dell S2716DG

Corsair AX1200i 

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

yeah just half a year isn't that far

Not long to wait considering the platform will last 3 years.

1 hour ago, r4q said:

1. it's like 100$ more between 6800k and 6850k for the bump from 3.4 to 3.6 Ghz 

3. Yeah well happend to me already once many years ago that the RAM didn't want to work on the desired speed because it was an overkill for the CPU memory controller. I propably must do some more research on the difference between 6800 and 6850 because I feel like the 128GBs of high speed ram can give it a lot of stress y'know. 

If anyone tried to put this much RAM yet I'd appreciate a comment on how it worked out.

You can OC the 6800k to match the performance of the 6850k

S y s t e m  S p e c s

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.4Ghz | MoBo: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 64gb G.Skill Neo RGB 3600 | 

GPU:  2x GTX 1080  | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb + WD Black 1TB |

PSU: Corsair RM1000x | Cooling: Custom Loop | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q + BenQ RL2455HM  | 

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow ChromMouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite

Case: CaseLabs Merlin SM8 | Extra: NZXT Hu+Logitech G27, HyperX Cloud II |

| Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/671484-project-murder |

2 minutes ago, F Bomb29 said:

You can OC the 6800k to match the performance of the 6850k

I see you have one and done some nice OC on it yourself. Do you know if they both give similar OC possibilities ?

And what about the PCIe lanes ? 28 vs 40 on the 6800 and 6850 respectively. Should I be concerned about it? and in what cases.

Alien v1.0

Spoiler

i7 6850K @4.6Ghz

Corsair H115i

GTX 1080Ti FE
Dell S2716DG

Corsair AX1200i 

3 minutes ago, r4q said:

I see you have one and done some nice OC on it yourself. Do you know if they both give similar OC possibilities ?

And what about the PCIe lanes ? 28 vs 40 on the 6800 and 6850 respectively. Should I be concerned about it? and in what cases.

It looks like the 6850k can OC to 4.4GHz at 1.25v while my 6800k OC'd to 4.4GHz at 1.43v. So it can do the same clock speed at a lower voltage, but with watercooling you cant tell the difference, my CPU sits at 15-23c idle. I think with the PCIe lanes the only gain would be 16x for both cards not 16x for one card, and 8x for the other.

S y s t e m  S p e c s

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.4Ghz | MoBo: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 64gb G.Skill Neo RGB 3600 | 

GPU:  2x GTX 1080  | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb + WD Black 1TB |

PSU: Corsair RM1000x | Cooling: Custom Loop | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q + BenQ RL2455HM  | 

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow ChromMouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite

Case: CaseLabs Merlin SM8 | Extra: NZXT Hu+Logitech G27, HyperX Cloud II |

| Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/671484-project-murder |

24 minutes ago, dexT said:

Not long to wait considering the platform will last 3 years.

Is your 3 years old 5820k outdated yet? lol

yeah x299 should be considered if OP can wait

By that time we might see amd naples and vega

43 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Is your 3 years old 5820k outdated yet? lol

Half a year and it will be :P

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Solid advice!

Seriously though, I'd absolutely wait for x299 at this point.  

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

make sure not to wimp out on the RGB with like two light strips and two fans or something, go balls to the wall with it, 6+ stips, RGB water cooling fittings, RGB fans everywhere possible and so on. i hate it when youtubers go "this build has all the RGB!!!!" and its like two fans and a light strip >:(

*edit*

what i have planed for the Toaster Project is more freaking RGB then some of those "RGB computers" they shit out...

Don't forget RGB on the chair too.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe