27in 2560x1600 IPS/PLS

eshbop

Which one is a good choice? Any point getting a wide gamut monitor? I'll have to calibrate it (therefore a buy hardware calibrator) as most programs don't have proper management for wide gamut displays (& therefore over saturate things), right? I don't want it for colour critical work, just want a monitor with good viewing angle, colours, etc (already have a Dell U2412M). Both the u2712hm and u2711 are on sale here. The u2711 is about $100 more than the u2712hm. I just don't particularly want to get a calibrator if things are going to be over saturated though. Or are there any other panels I should look at?

Cheers for the help.

As you are not doing colro crittical work, a Wide gamut monitor will be slightly more saturated. Simply load Windows color profile sRGB insetad of themonitor, limiting pictures to non wide gamut space (standrad gamut), and you are set. So only games and teh desktop will be a hint over saturated... not very noticible, and pictures will look pretty good.

The Dell U2410, U2413, U2711, U2713H, wihch are all wide gamut monitors, have 2 manufacture pre-color calibrated profiles with report on Adobe RGB and sRGB. So you get lock the monitor down to sRGB. However the results will not be exactly like non-wide gamut monitor, as it emulates. The U2412M is not a calibrated monitor, and uses a 6-bit panel IPS panel instead of a true 8-bit... so the U2711 will be a bit nicer monitor with Adobe RGB color profile (wide gamut). I don't think it will bug you, as you don't do any color critical work.

But if things are going to be over saturated and I'm loading the Windows sRGB profile anyway and because I don't do any colour crit work is it even worth getting a wide gamut display?

If I calibrate the display with a spectrometer the over saturation isn't a problem anymore, right?

Well here is the thing, because the monitor is higher end, meaning it has a true 8-bit panel, instead of a 6-bit panel, and has a color processor, and Look Up Table, all this goes at the bin, because it uses white LED backlight, or crappy CFL which are both what most people use, hence "standard" gamut. The problem with white LED back light is that they don't output a true white light, it's a very cold blue to light cold blue, depending on the grade of the white LED, and that blue'ish light which affects all other colors, most notably grays and whites. As for crappy LED it's either blue to yellow white

All back light technology that we have, that output a nice much true-er white (RGB-LED, GB-LED, and high grade CFLs) are all wide gamut. so manufactures uses those back light technologies, which puts the monitor wide gamut.

If the average consumer was not looking at only lowest price and looked at the rest, and demanded a good monitor, wide gamut monitor would be standard, and your question would not exists :/

If you feel like it you could be a guinea pig for us all and get one of those IPS monitors from Korea? They're a lot cheaper and from what I've heard are pretty damn good if you're willing to take the risk.

Or you could be a guinea pig for us all and get one of those IPS monitors from South Korea off eBay. They're apparently pretty damn good for their price.

Just an idea..

Lack of input options, no stand adjustability, build quality, no audio pass through, etc. Think I'll just wait for Dell to have a sale again, I'm in no big rush.