Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I'm excited! I have a new quad (I'm buying used from an older gentleman who just flew it slow, for fun - he's been in the hobby for 40+ years.) It has the Skitzo Ceramic 2206 motors, which I'm excited to try out.

Also have a pair of FatShark Dominator V2s coming, which is really exciting - I've never used fatshark, or any other brand of goggles before.

Nice man, Let us know how it goes, I should be posting some footage soon, We decided to make some road trips and get some great stuff. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

4 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Also, is the servo connector plugged into the right spot on the receiver?

I'm excited! I have a new quad (I'm buying used from an older gentleman who just flew it slow, for fun - he's been in the hobby for 40+ years.) It has the Skitzo Ceramic 2206 motors, which I'm excited to try out.

Also have a pair of FatShark Dominator V2s coming, which is really exciting - I've never used fatshark, or any other brand of goggles before.

I personally would never buy Skitzo branded motors because they're overpriced and the bearings can't take much abuse, but if you got them for a good price, sweet.

Fatshark Dominator V2s are supposed to be the best ones ever made due to their superior optics. Fatshark switched to plastic lenses with the v3 IIRC.

ASU

4 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Not to be a dick or anything, but is that signal cable actually solidly connected to the FC? It looks like it's just being held there by hot glue. If I were you, I would suggest sticking the wire through the hole in the FC, then solder it on, then hot glue it. 

Also, is the servo connector plugged into the right spot on the receiver?

I haven't hot glued it yet lol. Ye its connected securely with solder. I also used my multimeter and those pads don't have any voltage when the board is powered on. That's why I powered it a different way but I still can't get the signal through.

Just got a 4" Frame..Goign to be running on 4S.. 

Motor Suggestions?!

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

17 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Just got a 4" Frame..Goign to be running on 4S.. 

Motor Suggestions?!

Well, I would suggest running 13xx size motors, as they're a lot lighter than the 18xx motors. 

Maybe the little emax red bottom 1306 motors?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

43 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Well, I would suggest running 13xx size motors, as they're a lot lighter than the 18xx motors. 

Maybe the little emax red bottom 1306 motors?

Nah on 4" you want something à little bigger. Can you get your hands on the lower kv brother hobby 1407? I've seen a lot of 4" builds on that motor. There's also a brother hobby 1806 that should rip on 4".

ASU

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Nah on 4" you want something à little bigger. Can you get your hands on the lower kv brother hobby 1407? I've seen a lot of 4" builds on that motor. There's also a brother hobby 1806 that should rip on 4".

Ah. I was basing my comment off this: 

An admittedly relatively old video.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

On 11/21/2017 at 9:07 PM, Hackentosher said:

I personally would never buy Skitzo branded motors because they're overpriced and the bearings can't take much abuse, but if you got them for a good price, sweet.

Fatshark Dominator V2s are supposed to be the best ones ever made due to their superior optics. Fatshark switched to plastic lenses with the v3 IIRC.

I feel it on the motors being overpriced - but, if you count the full price of the motors, I paid about $50 for the rest of the quad, which is essentially a BNF, so I'd say I got a really good deal.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

The quad came yesterday! 

I'm still having trouble getting the FC to flash, which is disappointing, but it is running betaflight 3.1.7, so it's not too old. I couldn't get it to arm/fly yesterday either, but now that it's all up and running, I'm pretty happy with it. I only had about 2 minutes to basically hover around my backyard in, but it all seems to be working well. I should be able to really go fly tomorrow or the next day!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

26 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

The quad came yesterday! 

I'm still having trouble getting the FC to flash, which is disappointing, but it is running betaflight 3.1.7, so it's not too old. I couldn't get it to arm/fly yesterday either, but now that it's all up and running, I'm pretty happy with it. I only had about 2 minutes to basically hover around my backyard in, but it all seems to be working well. I should be able to really go fly tomorrow or the next day!

Nice! What board is it? You might want to look at this guide, paying attention to the drivers bit. If that doesn't work, try zadig for STM32 drivers.

Also I ruined the hobby, juuuuuust a bit today.

Spoiler

hobby ruined.png

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

Nice! What board is it? You might want to look at this guide, paying attention to the drivers bit. If that doesn't work, try zadig for STM32 drivers.

Reveal hidden contents

hobby ruined.png

I believe it's an Omnibus F4 Pro. I'll give that guide a try and see if that works. It seems like updating the firmware is always an absolute PITA on these things - are KISS FCs any better? I might go for one on my next build.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Its finally new flight control board time! What should i get! Im using the naze right now so anything's better right? I dont really want to go over $30. Thanks! Now i also have a decision. Should i get the eachine dvr03 or nah. Tysm!!

Reveal hidden contents

hobby ruined.png

Also, the issue that I'm having is that the FC will connect to the computer when I use it normally (like to connect through BF) but if I boot it up into bootloader mode, my computer doesn't even recognize that there's something connected. Is that an issue with Zadig? 

I also tried using the ImmersionRC driver fixer, but that seems to run into an issue where it either doesn't have permission to connect on the proper serial port (if it's connected to BF) or it will say that it has found an unexpected number of devices, or it will simply be stuck in a loop, looking for a flight controller.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Just tried it again after running through the ImmersionRC Driver Fixer (Way easier than Zadig, etc.) and it finally worked. The board is flashed.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

9 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Also, the issue that I'm having is that the FC will connect to the computer when I use it normally (like to connect through BF) but if I boot it up into bootloader mode, my computer doesn't even recognize that there's something connected. Is that an issue with Zadig? 

I also tried using the ImmersionRC driver fixer, but that seems to run into an issue where it either doesn't have permission to connect on the proper serial port (if it's connected to BF) or it will say that it has found an unexpected number of devices, or it will simply be stuck in a loop, looking for a flight controller.

Any ideas?

Yup, you need zadig. Plug it in with the bootloader and use the zadig tool to install a driver for the STM32 device. Pretty sure. It's been a long time since I had to do it for my OMNIBUS boards. Then when you plug in with the bootloader, it should say DFU on the serial port tab. 

ASU

21 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Its finally new flight control board time! What should i get! Im using the naze right now so anything's better right? I dont really want to go over $30. Thanks! Now i also have a decision. Should i get the eachine dvr03 or nah. Tysm!!

I think the cl racing f4 is about $30?

ASU

I think the cl racing f4 is about $30?

Huh where I see it its over $40 :(

9 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Huh where I see it its over $40 :(

https://www.racedayquads.com/collections/flight-controllers/products/clracing-f4s-s-flight-controller Careful with the S version, it's known to deathroll with KISS and EMAX ESCs. I think there's a list somewhere, but I know that it sometimes will deathrolll. See if you can find the non s version.

edit:

http://www.armattanquads.com/cl-racing-f4-flight-controller-flash-sale/

and a chaper f4 s http://www.rccrazed.com/powertrain-flight-controllers-cl-racing-f4s-fc-with-camera-control-p-621.html

ASU

14 hours ago, Legolessed said:

after frying my Naze I went to a Kiss as my mate's shop had in stock so I could get flying asap and yeah I'm enjoying

Had such a great flight over the weekend, was bombing down a 1900ft cliff face. 

*MUTE YOUR SPEAKERS* unless you love wind noise :P 

IMG_0367.mp4

Redstone:

Obsidian:

3 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

https://www.racedayquads.com/collections/flight-controllers/products/clracing-f4s-s-flight-controller Careful with the S version, it's known to deathroll with KISS and EMAX ESCs. I think there's a list somewhere, but I know that it sometimes will deathrolll. See if you can find the non s version.

edit:

http://www.armattanquads.com/cl-racing-f4-flight-controller-flash-sale/

and a chaper f4 s http://www.rccrazed.com/powertrain-flight-controllers-cl-racing-f4s-fc-with-camera-control-p-621.html

Have you ever used or heard of anyone using KDE motors? 

They look like they're incredibly well built, and are very tempting.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

18 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Have you ever used or heard of anyone using KDE motors? 

They look like they're incredibly well built, and are very tempting.

Never heard of them, emax ls2207 1900kv will be my next motor. 

ASU

18 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

after frying my Naze I went to a Kiss as my mate's shop had in stock so I could get flying asap and yeah I'm enjoying

Had such a great flight over the weekend, was bombing down a 1900ft cliff face. 

*MUTE YOUR SPEAKERS* unless you love wind noise :P 

IMG_0367.mp4

Damn that spot looked really fun until I saw the river. Thou art balsier than I, I don't fly over water. Great dive though. 

ASU

5 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Damn that spot looked really fun until I saw the river. Thou art balsier than I, I don't fly over water. Great dive though. 

hahaha yeah, the whole day all 3 spots we flew was over water, so we dialled back the camera angle a bit and rather just enjoyed flying than blasting around trying to nail night lines, not a single crash the entire day and we still had such great fun. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha yeah, the whole day all 3 spots we flew was over water, so we dialled back the camera angle a bit and rather just enjoyed flying than blasting around trying to nail night lines, not a single crash the entire day and we still had such great fun. 

Nice. I don't think you should have changed your camera angle though because you fly more comfortably when you get accustomed to a rig. This means you can more easily fly around and avoid things because you're used to that angle and what it does to your perspective. Also consider getting a wider lens for your camera, this helps a lot if you want to fly slow at a low angle, or cruise at a higher angle. The wider FOV will let you see more at more angles, highly recommend the 2.5mm gopro lens, it's like $10 on amazon.

ASU

I finally got to fly one battery today! It was a lot of fun. First time I've ever flown on real goggles, and it's been a long time to boot. 

I had a really good time though! - No camera footage though, I can't think of a good way to mount a Runcam 2 on the frame (It's the frame that rotor riot did a build with skitzo on.)

I'm honestly thinking of grabbing an armattan Chameleon frame though - I really like the idea of running a high battery, and I've been impressed with the  (INSANE) durability of my F5 acro.

Any opinions on the Chameleon?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

39 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I finally got to fly one battery today! It was a lot of fun. First time I've ever flown on real goggles, and it's been a long time to boot. 

I had a really good time though! - No camera footage though, I can't think of a good way to mount a Runcam 2 on the frame (It's the frame that rotor riot did a build with skitzo on.)

I'm honestly thinking of grabbing an armattan Chameleon frame though - I really like the idea of running a high battery, and I've been impressed with the  (INSANE) durability of my F5 acro.

Any opinions on the Chameleon?

Nice! 

Look at 3d printed options for the qav skitzo. 

@shadowbyte got a chameleon, I flew with some guys that use chameleons, everyone that flies them for the most part likes them for their low battery mount (cg on the prop line handles the best) but durability and maintenance kinda sucks. For one, it uses like three different sizes of metric bolts, I think M1, M1.5, and M.2 hex heads. It's a lot. Also it's a carbon baseplate design so if you break an arm, you have to swap all your electronics to a whole new baseplate. It's it as easy as un bolting a motor, cutting à zip tie of heatshrink for the esc, and un bolting the arm. It's everything. That being said armattan is based in Hong Kong instead of Canada (where the founder is from) because they wanted to source the best carbon possible for cheap, and they did. Armattan frames in general are very tough and their warranty program is alright (I'm still salty about my f1-6). Finally, I don't know if now is a great time to buy a chameleon because Armattan has been teasing a new chameleon using titanium parts instead of the aluminum ones up front. If you want a new frame now, it's not a bad choice, but I'd also look at an mqc fusion with 20mm standoffs. 

ASU