Knocked Over WD My Book, Now it isn't recognised.

colmanhymx

I was trying to backup my OS as i do that on a weekly basis and i accidentally knocked over my WD My Book External HDD. I was in the middle of the backup using Acornis True Image 2015 and now the drive is not recognised in Disk Management. Its the New 3TB Model, and was bought a few weeks ago. If i took this to the dealer (In my region, the dealer is responsible for the RMA, not the consumer) will they replace or repair my drive? I also have a Seagate Backup Plus 750GB which my friend dropped when he was helping me to backup my notebook for a os drive swap. The seagate drive was dropped when he accidentally moved the notebook and made the drive fall from the couch to the floor. Both drives were knocked over while using and are both covered by warranty. Recovering the data is not necessary since they are just backups. Do you think there is a fix, or can i only send it back to the dealer? Also does the warranty cover my issue here?

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

If it's a limited warranty, maybe not, since this was user error. But if you got drop/damage protection, then sure. It'll be in the paperwork, but doesn't hurt to contact them? 

Also, don't try to fix it unless you're sure it's not covered. Don't want to make it worse, right?

Both has 3 years limited warranty. No drop/damage protection what so ever. If i send them in, will they be able to figure out that it was caused by the user dropping/knocking over the drive?

6 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

lol tragedy

normally they are not but its worth a try

Yeah. Guess this isn't my lucky week. Two external hard drives dead in one week.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

I mean, it'd be pretty obvious that the damage was caused by blunt trauma to the drive, so yeah?

True. I've looked it up and some say that the heads has crashed due to the shock...

User damage isn't covered under warranty.

However you could RMA it and just say that you don't know what's wrong with it, it doesn't get detected, like the average non-tech-savvy person would say.

Unless the disk is shattered and you can hear it when you shake the drive, they won't be able to tell how it failed.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

However you could RMA it and just say that you don't know what's wrong with it, it doesn't get detected, like the average non-tech-savvy person would say.

Unless the disk is shattered and you can hear it when you shake the drive, they won't be able to tell how it failed.

unless they open it

Just now, Enderman said:

Well I'm quite sure that it wasn't shattered, since I did not hear any sound when i shook the drive a little after unplugging it. Do you think its gonna work? I mean RMAing it while saying i dunno what happened it just didn't get detected one day?

4 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

unless they open it

Hard drives fail often, it doesn't need a bump for the head to crash or something to go wrong.

It's pretty much impossible to tell if the drive failed on it's own or if it failed because someone dropped it unless there is visible damage to the exterior, or a shattered disk.

3 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

Well I'm quite sure that it wasn't shattered, since I did not hear any sound when i shook the drive a little after unplugging it. Do you think its gonna work? I mean RMAing it while saying i dunno what happened it just didn't get detected one day?

Yeah, most likely it will work.

Imagine if a 60 year old woman bought a drive and it stopped working and then wanted to RMA it, if you show you don't know a lot about technology then they won't even bother, they will just send you a new one after you ship it to them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

unless they open it

if its broken and you hear it you can still try opening it without destroying the stickers and glue the platers so they seem ok

jk just troling

can imagine someone trying it wasting 10 hours and then braking the sticker thing

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Hard drives fail often, it doesn't need a bump for the head to crash or something to go wrong.

It's pretty much impossible to tell if the drive failed on it's own or if it failed because someone dropped it unless there is visible damage to the exterior, or a shattered disk.

Well there's no exterior damage since luckily it was dropped on a carpeted floor.

Just now, igan3w_ said:

Well there's no exterior damage since luckily it was dropped on a carpeted floor.

then

368e585f659627e3a63097efcb958dd9621cbaf0_full.jpg.149cf5608a96b9b426dee242d300c114.jpg

There isn't any warranty stickers on the outside but I'm sure there is on the internal Hard drive since I've watched some disassembly videos of those two hard drives.

3 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

if its broken and you hear it you can still try opening it without destroying the stickers and glue the platers so they seem ok

GLUE THE WHAT! If your trying to make sure he doesn't get his data back then go ahead, not only would they notice it straight away, and thus void the warranty, but you would destroy basically any chance of getting the data back... 

So will there be any chance of the heads crashing on its own?

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

GLUE THE WHAT! If your trying to make sure he doesn't get his data back then go ahead, not only would they notice it straight away, and thus void the warranty, but you would destroy basically any chance of getting the data back... 

ti is a backup...

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Honestly i don't care about the data on the drive. As mentioned those drives are only used for backups. But i do care about the warranty since I'm hoping that there is a chance that i can get a replacement drive

1 minute ago, igan3w_ said:

So will there be any chance of the heads crashing on its own?

yes

happened to me!

Any chance of getting replacements of both drives if the heads crashed? 

Just now, igan3w_ said:

Honestly i don't care about the data on the drive. As mentioned those drives are only used for backups. But i do care about the warranty since I'm hoping that there is a chance that i can get a replacement drive

i messed up about the data bit, but it doesn't change the fact that they will know you've taken the drive apart, the only thing i would suggest doing if their are no warranty stickers is checking the connector between the drive, and the usb interface is fully seated and hasn't been knocked out slightly due to the drop 

1 hour ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

i messed up about the data bit, but it doesn't change the fact that they will know you've taken the drive apart, the only thing i would suggest doing if their are no warranty stickers is checking the connector between the drive, and the usb interface is fully seated and hasn't been knocked out slightly due to the drop 

The WD one is a 3.5 inch drive, hence i've checked the power adapter and usb cable and they both work.

The seagate one is a little more interesting since its the model that has the USM Module, hence I've tried using the usm module on another 2.5 inch drive, worked while using sata power and data to power the seagate drive from my pc does not work.

5 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

yes

happened to me!

so you're saying that there is a chance that the manufacture may think that it was a failure in the drive, instead of a user fault?

6 hours ago, igan3w_ said:

so you're saying that there is a chance that the manufacture may think that it was a failure in the drive, instead of a user fault?

There is a chance. I've had a drive arrive dead because the UPS guy was happy that day and somehow managed to beat the box up enough that the hard drive came loose from it's packing material was literally sitting on the bottom of the box bare when I got it. haha.

RIP external drive though. My aunt's died when she accidently pulled the cord and it fell off the dining table...