Need ideas on intake mod for Phantek Evolv ATX Tempered glass

Arct1c0n

So I've finally moved on from my beloved HAF XB EVO case after over 4 years and got basically a "free" case from Amazon after I went through absolute hell in trying to get a Evolv ATX TG that DID NOT have factory damage out of the box. After the 4th replacement, Amazon told me to just keep the case and they will refund my money in full as they will not send any other cases.  Calling that a sign, I took the free case despite its visual flaws and started to get to work on transferring my setup.

I quickly realized after transferring the guts and doing web research, the Evolv ATX has a real issue with supply air flow from the front intake panel being so close to the fans. I temps jump everytime I put the front panel back on vs with it on. I tried the quick and cheap "washer mod" by putting spacers on the front panels attachment points, but having the front panel stick out looks weird and also prevents the IO flap cover to open fully.

The best option is to simply cut some openings in the front panel. However, the aluminum is too thick and easily damaged for me to even attempt to use a dremel to cut open air slots, so I am currently looking at finding a local water jet cutting place in my city, which brings to my dilemna, what design do I want to  have cut into the aluminum as I basically only get one shot at this sans buying a whole nother panel and doing it over.

I've drafted some rough idea's depending on what the water cutting place can do, but I'm wanting to see other peoples idea's and suggestions on what would look good and functional.

TlZEDfS.jpg

fhJ7nBW.jpg

ACtwveW.jpg

27eSRxY.jpg

MnDdAf8.jpg

EMH77Qf.jpg?1

MNPCTECH.com has a great Acrylic replacement from panel. I just put one on mine yesterday. 

https://mnpctech.com/phanteks-case-mods/phanteks-primo-front-grill-en/evolv-vented-front-panel.html

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

MNPCTECH.com has a great Acrylic replacement from panel. I just put one on mine yesterday. 

https://mnpctech.com/phanteks-case-mods/phanteks-primo-front-grill-en/evolv-vented-front-panel.html

Saw that earlier and it looks like shit to me. The vents are too big, the glossy black doesn't go with the case and doesn't allow you to re use lower LED anymore, so no thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

-SNIP-

That's very doable if you provide them a CAD file of the cutouts you want done they can easily do that for you. Personally I like sharp corners something similar to the 900D top cover cutout I think would look really nice.

Image result for 900d top panel removal

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

That's very doable if you provide them a CAD file of the cutouts you want done they can easily do that for you. Personally I like sharp corners something similar to the 900D top cover cutout I think would look really nice.

Image result for 900d top panel removal

Someone on reddit as a metal fabricator is telling me its not possible NOT to damage the finish because of the abrasive agent used in water jets and laser cutting is also out because it will decolorize the aluminum. Fuck.....

11 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

Someone on reddit as a metal fabricator is telling me its not possible NOT to damage the finish because of the abrasive agent used in water jets and laser cutting is also out because it will decolorize the aluminum. Fuck.....

I thought about doing something similar with my P400 but cutting it would require re-painting. The alternative would be to make a whole new front panel. I'm thinking a frame with a fabric filter stretched over it like a speaker

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

14 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

Since it's a finished surface your going to want to protect it with a temporary film, if your doing any operation. Water jetting is ideal since it doesn't tend to warp much and give fairly clean cuts, only thing is with any cut your are going to want to treat the edges or recolor them since it's going to just be bare silver aluminum. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Since it's a finished surface your going to want to protect it with a temporary film, if your doing any operation. Water jetting is ideal since it doesn't tend to warp much and give fairly clean cuts, only thing is with any cut your are going to want to treat the edges or recolor them since it's going to just be bare silver aluminum. 

I REALLY want this, and the fab guy says this done by "milling" whatever that is.

83ZdEK3.jpg

0jpXJtb.jpg

3aYkhoL.jpg

1 minute ago, Arct1c0n said:

I REALLY want this, and the fab guy says this done by "milling" whatever that is.

Yes you will want to ideally mill that or water jet it, from the shiny edges it looks milled either on a manual machine or a CNC. That would be a very simple part if you can find a shop that does CNC work.