What's the new 4790k?

Hi folks. As I retasked my i5-4690k for my server I considered replacing it with an i7-4790k but I think I'm gonna upgrade my entire system (with the exception of GPU and SSDs). Before getting into the new build subforum I wanted to find the next CPU I'll get and base the rest of the build on it.

If I didn't need my i5 for my server, I think I could have used it until massive obsolescence in several years, the same way I did with my Core 2 Duo up to 2010 or so. Same goes for its bigger brother, the i7-4790k, which has quite a reputation for longevity and is still able today to challenge CPUs from two generations ahead.

I'm not about heavy performance, but I could use an i7 and want to maximize my investment.

What i7 model (or Ryzen equivalent) do you think would still be relevant in 3-4 years (the way the i7-4790k is still relevent today) ?

[Insert smart comment here]

Ryzen 7 1700 if you are OK with OC, 1700X/1800X if not.

On Intels side there will be a refresh in a couple of months so if you want intel I'd wait until then

I have a 6700K so I'm not just being a fanboi

6 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

well the 7700k is a refresh cpu just like the 4790k, so that.

Yeap, and there's going to another one after that and so on and so forth

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

intels best options right now are the i7 7700k and i7 6700k. go for the 6700k if you want to save a couple bucks.

amd's ryzen series is also an option. the ryzen 7 1700 is really good.  but only take ryzen if your going to really be using all those cores. intel is still better with single core performance.

PC: ryzen r7 1700 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC | gskill 16gb ddr4 2666mhz | Asrock AB 350m pro4 mobo | 120gb m.2 ssd, 240gb sata ssd, 2tb 7200rpm hdd | 750W Coolermaster powersupply | Phanteks Eclipse case | monitor: BenQ PD2500Q

Just now, coldhelios said:

only take ryzen if your going to really be using all those cores

Think about the recent trends in gaming.  in the past year or so 4 cores (HT counts) have become a requirement.  After the OC's and other bugs get fixed (hopefully) RYZEN will keep up with the more cores used trend somewhat longer than the current i7s

I'd go for 7700K on Intel if you buy right no, it OC's higher and easier than 6700K

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

If you OC 4790k to about 4.5GHz-4.6GHz, you will get almost the same performance as stock 7700k, also you will save a lot of money as you already have compatible motherboard and RAM.

The main difference and benefits that come from 7700k, is that fast DDR4 will make a lot of difference. However, if you are already on fast DDR3 (2133MHz+), then I really wouldn't bother upgrading to KabyLake.

38 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you OC 4790k to about 4.5GHz-4.6GHz, you will get almost the same performance as stock 7700k, also you will save a lot of money as you already have compatible motherboard and RAM.

The main difference and benefits that come from 7700k, is that fast DDR4 will make a lot of difference. However, if you are already on fast DDR3 (2133MHz+), then I really wouldn't bother upgrading to KabyLake.

Yes I thought about doing that, but the thing is my current build was a "compromise build" I made in 2014 with a really thin case, slow DDR3 memory and a motherboard that gives me occasional problems with the sound card and SATA management. Also temperature dissipation is not ideal on heavy tasks, especially for my poor GPU which is struggling around 90°C. (I really need to update my signature).

So I could get an 4790K, but I'll be changing my motherboard, RAM, case and cooler soon anyway so I thought about getting an upgrade to a current gen platform.

Also I'm not fond of OC (and I'm thinking about getting a non-K CPU this time, maybe).

1 hour ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

well the 7700k is a refresh cpu just like the 4790k, so that.

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

Ryzen 7 1700 if you are OK with OC, 1700X/1800X if not.

On Intels side there will be a refresh in a couple of months so if you want intel I'd wait until then

I have a 6700K so I'm not just being a fanboi

Yeap, and there's going to another one after that and so on and so forth

Upgrade is planned between April and September depending on how money flows. Thank you guys for suggestions, so Ryzen 7 or Intel 7700k refresh probably.

[Insert smart comment here]