What do I need to run home webserver/nas

JoeM123
Go to solution Solved by CptCarbonat,
39 minutes ago, JoeM123 said:

I want at least 2TB of storage, and its pourpse is a NAS/LAMP stack. I am willing to overclock.

If your looking for a cheap system, you should get used hardware. An older Quadcore CPU and 4GB Ram or something similar will probably be more than enough for your needs. You can get systems on the cheap with an old Pentium. I don't think you need to overclock if you only use it as a NAS and Webserver, it wouldn't make a big difference.

If you need a bit more power and are willing to spend a bit more money you can also get a used server. They usually come with one or two Xeons, so you can get a lot more performance. Though these systems are loud as they are build for the datacenter and you would have to do modding (probably put it in another case and change the fans/cooling) to get it quite.

I need a server. It needs to be silent and reliable. I want at least 2TB of storage, and its pourpse is a NAS/LAMP stack. I am willing to overclock. Do you guys have any suggestions on hardware to use? Keep in mind I am 12 and have a small income($25/week) 

For the NAS side of things, I use FreeNAS on an old Core 2 Duo. I get solid speeds. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I was doing it on a Pentuim 4. Also not to be rude but why does a 12 year old need a NAS?    Also a xeon is not required.

5 minutes ago, DK_BLEU said:

I was doing it on a Pentuim 4. Also not to be rude but why does a 12 year old need a NAS?    Also a xeon is not required.

Some younger people have large storage requirements. What for? I don't know. I'm 15 and have 10+TB of storage. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Some younger people have large storage requirements. What for? I don't know. I'm 15 and have 10+TB of storage. 

Im 13 and have about a tb and 3/4

39 minutes ago, JoeM123 said:

I want at least 2TB of storage, and its pourpse is a NAS/LAMP stack. I am willing to overclock.

If your looking for a cheap system, you should get used hardware. An older Quadcore CPU and 4GB Ram or something similar will probably be more than enough for your needs. You can get systems on the cheap with an old Pentium. I don't think you need to overclock if you only use it as a NAS and Webserver, it wouldn't make a big difference.

If you need a bit more power and are willing to spend a bit more money you can also get a used server. They usually come with one or two Xeons, so you can get a lot more performance. Though these systems are loud as they are build for the datacenter and you would have to do modding (probably put it in another case and change the fans/cooling) to get it quite.

Everyone has his/her own storage requirements Like me i use more then 4 Tb but my dad doesnt even do 200GB Everyone has thier own storrage needs 

Its just like rooms in your house :D

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

1 hour ago, DK_BLEU said:

I want to have a webserver for my lawn mowing business, as well as for my family 

For the NAS: Try to find older hardware. I built one from parts I had laying around: Core 2 Duo E7200, 4GB ram, P35 mobo, a few hard drives. I installed OpenMediaVault on it and it does everything I need. If you don't want to bother, you can buy a Synology with 2 or 4 hard drives and run RAID-1 or RAID-10.

For the webserver, I'd get a Shared Hosting account at HawkHost for 3$/month.