1440p, 144hz, Glossy Gaming Monitor

Drelek

So I did some googling and this is a question that has been asked a fair amount of times, however the most recent thread I could find was from 2015. I'm in the market for a new monitor, and based on reviews I've read/watched online and my own personal experience, the perfect fit for me would be a 1440p, 120hz, (maybe G-Sync) glossy monitor for gaming. The aforementioned threads I looked through claimed that such a display doesn't exist, but I was wondering if anything new has been released in the past two years that fit the bill?

Just for reference, these are the features I am interested in:

• 2560x1440 resolution
  • 120 - 144 hz refresh rate
  • IPS panel
  • Glossy finish
    • All I know about this is that my Dell XPS 15 laptop has superior color and quality to my desktop monitors, and I believe I read that glossy screens generally have sharper colors than matte.
  • G-Sync (optional)

14 minutes ago, Drelek said:

So I did some googling and this is a question that has been asked a fair amount of times, however the most recent thread I could find was from 2015. I'm in the market for a new monitor, and based on reviews I've read/watched online and my own personal experience, the perfect fit for me would be a 1440p, 120hz, (maybe G-Sync) glossy monitor for gaming. The aforementioned threads I looked through claimed that such a display doesn't exist, but I was wondering if anything new has been released in the past two years that fit the bill?

Just for reference, these are the features I am interested in:

• 2560x1440 resolution
  • 120 - 144 hz refresh rate
  • IPS panel
  • Glossy finish
    • All I know about this is that my Dell XPS 15 laptop has superior color and quality to my desktop monitors, and I believe I read that glossy screens generally have sharper colors than matte.
  • G-Sync (optional)

Why in the world, would you want glossy. Get a ROG 1440 144 IPS monitor and you're good. But it is matte

1 hour ago, Daniel Z. said:

Why in the world, would you want glossy. Get a ROG 1440 144 IPS monitor and you're good. But it is matte

Basically everything that I've read, watched, or seen myself has said that glossy displays have better color quality. I'm fairly sure Linus has even said that in a few of his videos. I will look into the ROG however, thank you.

As far as I know, the screen glossiness has absolutely zero affect on the quality of the panel. Color accuracy, sharpness and response time are impacted by the panel type and quality. The gloss is purely cosmetic. 

Just now, Just-Chill said:

As far as I know, the screen glossyness has absolutely zero affect on the quality of the pannel. Color accuracy, sharpness and response time are impacted by the pannel type and quality. The gloss is purely cosmedic. 

Alright, good to know.

Why glossy? Ewww.

27"

AOC AG271QG

I have this one and I really like it so I will recommend it.

4 hours ago, Drelek said:

Basically everything that I've read, watched, or seen myself has said that glossy displays have better color quality. I'm fairly sure Linus has even said that in a few of his videos. I will look into the ROG however, thank you.

It's true glossy does have more impact when being looked at, but it also strains the eye alot more. Pick your poison here wisely.

2 hours ago, Just-Chill said:

As far as I know, the screen glossyness has absolutely zero affect on the quality of the pannel. Color accuracy, sharpness and response time are impacted by the pannel type and quality. The gloss is purely cosmetic. 

not entirely true. it depends on the screen film used for matte screens. but nowadays the film is hardly an issue with image reproduction 

IMO the benefit of a matte screen is bigger in terms of less reflection and eye-strain

i wouldnt want the sun, a lamp or anything somewhere to start reflecting in the glossy panel while using it

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

• 1 year later...

Ok you are right!!!!!!! do not listen to the people on this page they have no idea what they are talking about... glossy screen monitors look way better and much sharper resolution, anyone saying they dont look way better has never seen one. Secondly why are tv's watched so much and have gloss screens? that is directed at all these people that have no idea what they are saying? Why are mobile phones glossy screen ? My point is proven again do not listen to these no nothing people... Get a glossy monitor and enjoy the best. Lets all throw away our phones and tv's and get a dull screen like these guys hahahaahahahahha. Glossy screen all day. Currently running samsung glossy screen monitor and it looks clearer than monitors worth 5 times its price. Mobiles dont burn our eyes nor have reflection problems these days also same goes for tv's viewed from all viewing angles, so do yourself a favour and get glossy. In future dont comment people with your pure lack of brains and also knowledge, especially that tool that said ew to gloss monitors.... eww is ur dull monitor and your dull mind making half assed comments because you cant afford a decent gloss monitor

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2017 at 8:57 PM, Just-Chill said:

As far as I know, the screen glossiness has absolutely zero affect on the quality of the panel. Color accuracy, sharpness and response time are impacted by the panel type and quality. The gloss is purely cosmetic. 

Pure hogwash. I have them side by side right here and the difference is plain as day. The matte introduces snow/noise. Literally the only reason people are okay with it, is that companies stopped selling glossy monitors (except Apple), so no one remembers how clear and sharp a glossy monitor looks when there's no glare. It's madness.

By the way, why do you think smartphones and TV's are all glossy?

I can share my experiences and I too want a glossy monitor. The colors looks much nicer and contrast is also better. Glossy monitors haven't been produced for a long time and people may have forgotten how the colors and contrast were compared to now.

And yes, I thought it was me but it's true the matte monitors introduces the snow/noise. Do Apple still produces glossy monitors? And do they work for Windows too?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

10 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I can share my experiences and I too want a glossy monitor. The colors looks much nicer and contrast is also better. Glossy monitors haven't been produced for a long time and people may have forgotten how the colors and contrast were compared to now.

And yes, I thought it was me but it's true the matte monitors introduces the snow/noise. Do Apple still produces glossy monitors? And do they work for Windows too?

Apply's displays are pretty much all glossy. PC monitor manufacturers seem content on allowing Apple to have this de-facto monopoly over glossy screens; further adding to the irony is that everywhere you look online about this topic there are hundreds of people asking "where can I find a monitor that works on PC which looks as good as an iMac" -- and unfortunately modern iMacs can no longer double as displays for PC's. 

I think anyone who thinks matte is better should put a matte protector over their phone for a month, then rip it off, and see if they really still prefer matte. Chances are, the moment they rip it off they'll realize the clarity they've been missing out on. Then, consider that it makes even LESS sense to have a matte desktop gaming/entertainment monitor than a matte phone, because a phone could be used anywhere but a desktop monitor would be positioned such that it's guaranteed to never have glare! 

I believe there are maybe 1 or 2 glossy displays for PC's out there but unfortunately they're extremely expensive, don't come in 1440p, and don't have 144hz refresh rate.

I have a monitor which is great in every way except the matte coating. It seems like it would be so easy for them to just make literally the exact same monitor, but glossy style, and rake in all the money from the high-demand, zero-supply situation. 

1 hour ago, maxloh.com said:

Apply's displays are pretty much all glossy. PC monitor manufacturers seem content on allowing Apple to have this de-facto monopoly over glossy screens; further adding to the irony is that everywhere you look online about this topic there are hundreds of people asking "where can I find a monitor that works on PC which looks as good as an iMac" -- and unfortunately modern iMacs can no longer double as displays for PC's. 

I think anyone who thinks matte is better should put a matte protector over their phone for a month, then rip it off, and see if they really still prefer matte. Chances are, the moment they rip it off they'll realize the clarity they've been missing out on. Then, consider that it makes even LESS sense to have a matte desktop gaming/entertainment monitor than a matte phone, because a phone could be used anywhere but a desktop monitor would be positioned such that it's guaranteed to never have glare! 

I believe there are maybe 1 or 2 glossy displays for PC's out there but unfortunately they're extremely expensive, don't come in 1440p, and don't have 144hz refresh rate.

I have a monitor which is great in every way except the matte coating. It seems like it would be so easy for them to just make literally the exact same monitor, but glossy style, and rake in all the money from the high-demand, zero-supply situation. 

Yeah, when I was at my optician, he had 3 monitors, 2 are matte and one is glossy which is the Apple monitors and I googled it it seems to be Apple Cinema display. The difference were really huge! Much more crisp, great colors, great blacks and white! And I saw Windows10 on the Apple Cinema display lol. I see the Cinema display has been discontinued?:( Really disappointed!

I never ever had problems with glare. Back in the 2006-2014 I had a laptop with glossy screen and never complained about and if it had glare, I simply would just change position, problem solved and happy gaming/watching movies on it indeed.

And ah yes, a few weeks ago I watched the AiO pc's and they mostly have glossy screen and they all have really great picture!:( They can't be used as monitor, right?

Which monitor do you have? And what are those 1 or 2 monitors that have glossy screen?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Depending on the type of anti-glare it uses, some monitors can have that treatment / layer removed. Though u take the risk of destroying the screen so be careful.

Anit-glare generally reduces contrast and black level. As such 'glossy' screens tend to look far better in that respect.

The thing is the vast majority of monitors are not used in a 'home theater' environment, so they need , for the average user, some kind of anti-glare. hence why u dont see many gloss finish monitors but u do see gloss finish TVs.

If one does decide to try and remove the anti glare layer of the screen, ull need to re calibrate it after, so make sure u have a calibration device at hand.

As for gloss being bad. I use a Plasma still ..its glass. No anti glare at all. its fine, just dont have a window or light behind u its all good.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this stuff, but I'm pretty sure the "Acer VG271U PBMIIPX" has 144hz, 1440p, IPS and I Think a removable anti glare layer. I can't confirm this, but I though it should be something you should be aware of.

IMG-2444.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 3/21/2017 at 11:57 PM, Just-Chill said:

Not true.  A glossy monitor produces better color vividness and sharpness.  The matte finish prevents glare by diffusing light that hits it so that it scatters off to places other than your eyes.  Similarly, light that exists the panel does the same.  With a glossy monitor you don't have that so colors appear more vibrant, the lack of diffusion produces sharper images. HP makes some really good ones.  In general because of the matte finish images will seem really soft. 

I have an ROG Swift PG279Q, still one of the best 1440P gaming monitors out there.... Even today...

It's not glossy.....

It's different with TV's, you aren't sitting 2 ft from a TV when watching it.....

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.