RX 480 or wait for Vega?

cluelessgenius

so i got one of dem ultrawides at 3440x1440 and already had a 480 strix for a short time.

i was quite pleased with the performance even though benchmarks suggest otherwise.

do you think vega is really gonna be worth the extra wait and extra cash or should i just get a 480 now since pricing is actually pretty good at around 200€

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

5 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

so i got one of dem ultrawides at 3440x1440 and already had a 480 strix for a short time.

i was quite pleased with the performance even though benchmarks suggest otherwise.

do you think vega is really gonna be worth the extra wait and extra cash or should i just get a 480 now since pricing is actually pretty good at around 200€

well in Xfire is anything like SLI i would say take the single GPU over two. If you can wait, wait 

Wait for better hardware if it's not urgent.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Wait for better hardware if it's not urgent.

sooo do we have any word on how long the waits gonna be?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

sooo do we have any word on how long the waits gonna be?

Probably need to wait until second half year

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Vega is supposed to be in the first half of the year, however that generally means at the end of the first half. Expect to wait until at least June.

I'd pick up a 480 for now, then just resell it around the time Vega comes out and get one of the Vega cards. Sure you'll lose money on it, but at least you'll have a decent card to use for the next 3-4 months while you wait.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

29 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Vega is supposed to be in the first half of the year, however that generally means at the end of the first half. Expect to wait until at least June.

I'd pick up a 480 for now, then just resell it around the time Vega comes out and get one of the Vega cards. Sure you'll lose money on it, but at least you'll have a decent card to use for the next 3-4 months while you wait.

well since im not terribly dissapointed in my 770 i think ill stick to it until vega then