5 fans (+2 PWM connections on 1070 Strix) 4 headers- wat do?

Kitsune4

I recently purchased an Asus Strix GTX 1070 and upon reading the details I read that it has 2 PWM headers for its fans. 

So that leads me to my conundrum; my motherboard (Asus Z97-A) has 4 fan headers (excluding CPU ones) and I currently have 5 fans in the case. Although, one of them is running of the hub on my NZXT H440 case (this one is running on a low power adapter). 

To control all the fans via the motherboard what would the best thing to do be?

I've read about fan splitters and was thinking about these. But my case fans are all 3 pin and I'm not sure they'll work with the 4 pin adapter

What do you think? Would it be okay to have 3 fan splitters into the motherboard or is that too much?

Edited by Kitsune4
Made title less misleading >_<

Midori:

Specs: Intel i5 4690K | Asus Strix GTX 1070 |  2x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600MHz| Samsung 850 Pro 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 750W | NZXT H440 Black/Green

Cooling:|2 Stock NZXT Case fans | 2 Noctua F-A14 FLXNoctua NF-P14S-1200 |

Peripherals: Corsair LUX RGB K70 Silent| Corsair RGB Sabre | Audio Technica M40X

1 minute ago, Kitsune4 said:

I recently purchased an Asus Strix GTX 1070 and upon reading the details I read that it has 2 PWM headers for its fans. 

So that leads me to my conundrum; my motherboard (Asus Z97-A) has 4 fan headers (excluding CPU ones) and I currently have 5 fans in the case. Although, one of them is running of the hub on my NZXT H440 case (this one is running on a low power adapter). 

I've read about fan splitters and was thinking about these. But my case fans are all 3 pin and I'm not sure they'll work with the 4 pin adapter

What do you think? Would it be okay to have 3 fan splitters into the motherboard or is that too much?

they will work. 4 pin can work on 4 pin. but i would get 4 pin to 4pit split because later on if you got a 4 pin fan or 4 pin mobo, you wont have to get new ones

here is a 4pin connector to 2x 4pin fans. 

https://www.amazon.com/kenable-Splitter-Cable-Plug-Sockets/dp/B009XA2TZM

3 minutes ago, Kitsune4 said:

spliters or a fan controller?

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

6 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

spliters or a fan controller?

I'm not sure, due to my case I can't accommodate an external fan controller

Midori:

Specs: Intel i5 4690K | Asus Strix GTX 1070 |  2x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600MHz| Samsung 850 Pro 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 750W | NZXT H440 Black/Green

Peripherals: Corsair LUX RGB K70 Silent| Corsair RGB Sabre | Audio Technica M40X

8 minutes ago, Kitsune4 said:

I'm not sure, due to my case I can't accommodate an external fan controller

put one in the case behind the mobo

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

24 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

put one in the case behind the mobo

Any recommendations?

Midori:

1 hour ago, Kitsune4 said:

I'm a little confused... Are you adding in 2 more fans to the case?  If you have 4 fan headers on the Mobo you should be able to accommodate all 5 case fans to the Mobo with a single 4-pin fan splitter.  The 2 PWM headers on the GPU are if you wanted to plug 2 case fans into the GPU and use the GPU temp to control those as opposed to the CPU temp registered on the Mobo.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/strix-gtx-10801070-what-is-asus-fancontrol/

14 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I'm a little confused... Are you adding in 2 more fans to the case?  If you have 4 fan headers on the Mobo you should be able to accommodate all 5 case fans to the Mobo with a single 4-pin fan splitter.  The 2 PWM headers on the GPU are if you wanted to plug 2 case fans into the GPU and use the GPU temp to control those as opposed to the CPU temp registered on the Mobo.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/strix-gtx-10801070-what-is-asus-fancontrol/

Ah, sorry. I currently have 5 fans in the case, 4 are on the motherboard headers, and one is on the fan hub that's a part of the case.

The fan hub fan is can't be controlled so I'd like to connect it to the motherboard too and the Asus Strix 1070 has 2 PWM headers so that means I need a total of 3 more headers than I actually have.

Midori:

Just now, Kitsune4 said:

Ah, sorry. I currently have 5 fans in the case, 4 are on the motherboard headers, and one is on the fan hub that's a part of the case. The Asus Strix 1070 has 2 PWM headers so that means I need a total of 3 more headers than I actually have. The fan hub fan is can't be controlled so I'd like to connect it to the motherboard too

Unless I'm missing something about the 1070, the Strix fan headers should be giving you a total of 6 fan headers in the whole case (4 on Mobo and 2 on GPU).  The main difference is that the two fans you can plug into the GPU are controlled by the GPU temp profile and not the CPU Temp profile.  This is supposed to be so that you can increase the airflow to the GPU in situations where the GPU is being more stressed than the CPU.  

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

Unless I'm missing something about the 1070, the Strix fan headers should be giving you a total of 6 fan headers in the whole case (4 on Mobo and 2 on GPU).  The main difference is that the two fans you can plug into the GPU are controlled by the GPU temp profile and not the CPU Temp profile.  This is supposed to be so that you can increase the airflow to the GPU in situations where the GPU is being more stressed than the CPU.  

Ah, yes there are currently 4 fans on the motherboard, but I have an additional fan not currently on the motherboard that I'd also like to connect on top of the 2 Strix fans.

I was thinking I could get a fan splitter for the Strix fans, one for the 2 Noctua fans and one for the 2 NZXT fans leaving the last header for the exhaust fan.

What do you think I should do?

Midori:

53 minutes ago, Kitsune4 said:

I was thinking I could get a fan splitter for the Strix fans, one for the 2 Noctua fans and one for the 2 NZXT fans leaving the last header for the exhaust fan.

What do you think I should do?

I'm not sure what you're Intake/Exhaust Config is going to look like, but with the H440, you will probably max out the case Fan space with 7 120mm fans.  Below is a rough potential fan config in which you would have two splitters running in the case (with the potential of dropping one).  Essentially, you would have 2 full time front intake fans and one extra fan running intake when the GPU is getting hot.  There would be one full time exhaust fan in the back.  Your top mounted fans are kinda tricky cause I wouldn't want to create too much turbulence with airflow.  You could potentially place these as exhaust or intake (or maybe mix a little bit), but that would be something to test with.  I tend to prefer a little bit of positive case pressure myself...  NZXT H440 Config.png

15 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I'm not sure what you're Intake/Exhaust Config is going to look like, but with the H440, you will probably max out the case Fan space with 7 120mm fans.  Below is a rough potential fan config in which you would have two splitters running in the case (with the potential of dropping one).  Essentially, you would have 2 full time front intake fans and one extra fan running intake when the GPU is getting hot.  There would be one full time exhaust fan in the back.  Your top mounted fans are kinda tricky cause I wouldn't want to create too much turbulence with airflow.  You could potentially place these as exhaust or intake (or maybe mix a little bit), but that would be something to test with.  I tend to prefer a little bit of positive case pressure myself...  NZXT H440 Config.png

Oh, only now do I realise how misleading the thread title is. *Facepalm*

That little mockup is awesome btw xD.

My current setup is 2 intake at the front and 2 intake at the top with exhaust at the back.

What I meant was that I have 7 connections and 4 headers. Dammit me. Dingus.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion :D

Midori:

Those splitters will work just fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Oh, so on further reading. The 1070 Strix doesn't come with 2 headers, it simply has 2 fan slots that can be used to attach fans to it so that they work off of its temperature rather than the CPU one

Midori:

10 hours ago, Kitsune4 said:

Oh, so on further reading. The 1070 Strix doesn't come with 2 headers, it simply has 2 fan slots that can be used to attach fans to it so that they work off of its temperature rather than the CPU one

That's.. exactly what a fan header is.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's.. exactly what a fan header is.

lol, I'm a mess. I meant to say, that the Strix doesn't come with 2 additional PWM connections, it instead has 2 headers on the card >_<

Midori: