AMD A10 Kaveri Tested on BF4. Pcper.com

beebskadoo

Intel and AMD will keep pushing iGPU solutions up to the point where only enthusiast buy a dedicated GPU, and most gamers will be just perfect with only a CPU. And that's the future.

I would have to to disagree with you there. I very much like my fx8150. I know it's not better than Intels CPU's but with that being said it is not a shitty processor.

The heat output and power consumption is too much compared to the power it gives

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

But the average consumer will buy an I7 thinking that they need it.

Yeah exactly, my friend thinks an i7 will give him better graphics, battery life and performance, on a "MacBook pro". All he does is type on MS Word and watch youtube. Whenever I talk about an AMD CPU, he asks if that's i7 or i5. Doesn't even know what's sandy bridge or ivy bridge, as long as it's a freaking bridge. He will spend money on places for no reason, as long it has a bigger "i" (if there was any i9). Most people only know about the "i" concept. They think bigger "i" is a better product for them. Average people don't even know there is something called AMD or a GPU. All they know is Best Buy, Futureshop etc. Some people just don't get it even if you try to educate them. That's your average consumer, they consume, digest and poop the knowledge out right away.

I feel Intel is pushing the high end graphics chips on the wrong CPU's.

The higher end GPU's are matched with the high end CPU's.

This is fine on mobile, but on the desktop it doesn't make as much sense.

If you have a high end CPU you are more likely to have a discrete card.

putting Iris Pro graphics on an i3 desktop CPU makes more sense to me.

in a gaming scenario i totally agree with you but i think they are trying to go with GPU accelerated stuff like various rendering options using the IGPU. i dont think they are actually trying to get into the gaming market from a gpu standpoint

tu runā, kā tads pakaļa ..

I like turtles too

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

That is really really impressive for an APU. I can only play with high+med settings on my oc'd GTX 560ti without dropping below 30fps. Nvidia suggested a Low setting for optimal and consistent 50-60fps for BF4.

a truly HSA 8 core Steamroller APU would outpeform an 8 core Steamroller CPU.

I would not be so sure, i mean the APUs don't even have the L3 cache, sure it is a new architecture, and kaveri's leaked performance core performance is impressive, i would like to see a true CPU with modern features and all that, not to mention an 8 core APU would run very hot, since it would all be crammed on a single chip, so it might not stay stable, and the FX series could really push those clocks.

To be honest it would be very sad that AMD delivers a next generation chip that can't beat the last gen ( ehhem!! Bulldozer )

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

AMD show us mantle performance already.

Wut?!?!?

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

This will not happen, that is why we have dedicated hardware, the best you can get is that an APU is faster than a GPU and CPU that is 4 years old...

So this happened 

John Taylor, corporate vice president of corporate communicate at AMD (he must hate telling people his job title), said that the pricing was currently unknown but that it would definitely be cheaper than a comparable CPU and GPU sold seperately by competitors. For comparison’s sake AMD pitted the Kaveri APU against a machine running an Intel Core i7 4770K CPU and an Nvidia GeForce GT 630 playing Battlefield 4 at 1920 x 1080, with the Kaveri running at double the frame rate of its competitor.

Of course from these basic benchmarks it's difficult to tell exactly how capable this APU truly is. The GeForce GT 630 came out back in April last year, itself a middle-class variant that wasn't exactly pushing boundaries. The optimal screen size for a GPU such as that is 1366 x 768, suggesting that it would indeed have struggled with playing a demanding title such as Battlefield 4 at full 1080p. The Intel Core i7 4770K is most definitely a top of the line processor, but it's going to be severely held back by the limitations of the middle of the range graphics card. 

I'm pretty impressed

Source:http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=10010&game=None&title=AMD%20Kaveri%20Dated%20And%20Named%20At%20APU14%20Event

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

4770K + GT 630 ran the same BF4 sequence at 12FPS, which is 3 times slower.
And the GT 630 uses a larger GPU than the one integrated into the Kaveri APU, this shows how a beast of a performer this APU is.

4770K + GT 630 ran the same BF4 sequence at 12FPS, which is 3 times slower.

And the GT 630 uses a larger GPU than the one integrated into the Kaveri APU, this shows how a beast of a performer this APU is.

Are you guys kidding me? a gt 630? That GPU is irrelevant, sure in time an APU will be more powerful, but so will the dedicated GPUs, I mean who buys a 4770k with a GT 630 anyway? 

This test is irrelevant for a dedicated GPU comparison, and an APU will not beat a 300$ GPU of the same generation, you can be sure of that and 250-300$ market is the valid GPU price point.

Not only that here is an even better solution, Buy  a modern day athlon II X4 750k black edition and get a decent card like a HD 7770 that will cost you ( at least in my country ) around 35$ more than the top end APU ( gpu and the cpu )

Don't get me wrong i get that APUs are a thing but i could not care any less about them since i don't need the integrated GPU, and i value CPU power more for music editing and recording ( amateur,no pro stuff ).

Not to mention technology moves quite fast i mean look at the new r9 270 card, cheap, but can play bf 4 in comparison with the gtx580 once overclocked, this is amazing.

It will take APU-s at least 3 generations to play 1080p smooth with all settings maxed. That is why i say If you are on a budget an 720p gaming an APU is for you, if you want any better, APUs are not an option...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

This is great that APUs can run this on Medium settings as bf4 is pretty intensive and hope that it will be at a very nice price point. How hot do APUs run usually on load with a stock cooler on it?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This test is irrelevant for a dedicated GPU comparison, and an APU will not beat a 300$ GPU of the same generation, you can be sure of that and 250-300$ market is the valid GPU price point.

The performance of a 300$ GPU is way out of reach of any APU.These GPUs have big dies with huge resources, and are allowed to suck a lot of power and generate a lot of heat in order to get the job done. That level of throughput is almost unthinkable on an APU for now.

What we need is for the APUs to start surpassing the $100 GPUs, I want them to match the likes of the radeon 7770.

an 8 core APU is currently not possible not within power and temp limits

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I feel Intel is pushing the high end graphics chips on the wrong CPU's.

The higher end GPU's are matched with the high end CPU's.

This is fine on mobile, but on the desktop it doesn't make as much sense.

If you have a high end CPU you are more likely to have a discrete card.

putting Iris Pro graphics on an i3 desktop CPU makes more sense to me.

If you look at laptops its is that way some what. There can also be dual core i7's I actually had one in my previous laptop.

I know why they put the best graphics in the best cpus its because they want a balanced experience for the average user.

I hope that it makes sense how I explained it, if not please tell me.

The performance of a 300$ GPU is way out of reach of any APU.These GPUs have big dies with huge resources, and are allowed to suck a lot of power and generate a lot of heat in order to get the job done. That level of throughput is almost unthinkable on an APU for now.

What we need is for the APUs to start surpassing the $100 GPUs, I want them to match the likes of the radeon 7770.

The top intel iris is supposted to out preform the nvidia 640 from what I remember from the slides back when has well was launching. The 640 is a 100$ gpu of was when it launched.

But now cards like the 7770 can be had for around that much. And that is twice as fast as a 640.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/536?vs=612

So now your specifying which $100 card? Also you should go off MSRP when comparing stuff as that cages infrequently compared to retail prices. I still think that outperforming a 640 is a pretty big thing and basically eliminates the need for a dedicated card for a HTPC even for running things like madVR. Low end gaming will only be improved once it hits the majority of their cpus too. Imagine the average LoL player having decent graphics and frame rates! O.o

No I dont play LoL any longer and yes im making fun of the average system that it used to play it (though this is the range that the game is aimed at).

So now your specifying which $100 card? Also you should go off MSRP when comparing stuff as that cages infrequently compared to retail prices. I still think that outperforming a 640 is a pretty big thing and basically eliminates the need for a dedicated card for a HTPC even for running things like madVR. Low end gaming will only be improved once it hits the majority of their cpus too. Imagine the average LoL player having decent graphics and frame rates! O.ONo I dont play LoL any longer and yes im making fun of the average system that it used to play it (though this is the range that the game is aimed at).

yep fair enough, I see your point- this is a step in the right direction for APU performance.