i5 7600k vs Ryzen 1700

Hi guys,

So my old system died from a motherboard fault so upgrade time. Tossing up between the Ryzen 1700 and the i5 7600k as I can get them to $20 within each other. Decided against the i7 7700k as it's another $150 AUD which I can't spare for the time being and I want this system up in time for Mass Effect Andromeda.

I currently use the machine for gaming at 1440p 60hz paired with an R9 390 and will use it for Mass Effect Andromeda, Cities Skylines and other games. I also do a fair amount of photo editing. When I looked up the performance benchmarks I could only find comparisons between the 1800x and the i7 7700k for photo editing and none for cities skylines so I'm hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I will also OC whatever one I get, either with an old AIO I have for the i5 or the Wraith Spire cooler with the 1700.

Looking to pull the trigger on an order of CPU/RAM/Mobo for the i5 at $675 AUD or for the 1700 at $695 AUD. Buying in Australia if that helps.

1700 over 7600k imo, you're going to sacrifice some gaming fps (1-3), but you'll have 8 physical cores and it'll demolish the i5 for photo editing and cities skylines (+a few fps because it can utilize more than 4 cores)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

1700 over 7600k imo, you're going to sacrifice some gaming fps (1-3), but you'll have 8 physical cores and it'll demolish the i5 for photo editing and cities skylines (+a few fps because it can utilize more than 4 cores)

even in some games 

1700 quite easily IMO :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Thanks guys for the fast response. I use Lightroom 95% of the time with some adjustments in Photoshop.

12 minutes ago, CapedCat said:

Cities Skylines

just as an FYI, cities skylines has zero benefit from more than 4 CPU threads, but honestly, no matter which cpu, it goes potato either way :P

38 minutes ago, manikyath said:

just as an FYI, cities skylines has zero benefit from more than 4 CPU threads, but honestly, no matter which cpu, it goes potato either way :P

Sadly true! On balance I think I'm leaning towards the Ryzen cpu