LinusTechTips and being objective.

Aphexxis
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,
7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

So am I but yeah ...

Sometimes you gotta just say:  What's the point?  ...and let people vent.  Better here, than "out there".

7 minutes ago, tomas710 said:

Fanboys, retards, trolls and idiots are annoying indeed. But what's the standard? Let's say you like Asus because you've had a good experience with them. Should we now BAN YOU FOR BEING A FILTHY ASUS FANBOY...or let you have your opinion as long as you're not hurting anyone? I got permabanned from Twitter for being an anti-feminist and a right winger, been banned from Facebook 4 times now, bad opinions are necessary for the important ones to be allowed. You cannot censor anyone without censoring everyone.

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

So very true.

Today's standard is thinned skinned.

We all have to be tolerant of each other,  the problem with such a precedent the more "tolerant" we aim for, the more intolerant we become.

Good posts.

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

I'd just stick a USB drive with the bios on it in the back of the motherboard and press the "recover my bios" button on the motherboard...

Not all motherboards have that function though.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Not all motherboards have that function though.

All motherboards that I buy do (or have some equivalent functionality) :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 hours ago, Aphexxis said:

it is hard to deal with such people.

That's an emotional argument. I'm sorry if I come off rude, but it seems to me you're sugesting censoring opinions, and you base that on them being ''hard to deal'' I've been told I'm a self-hating faggot (For the love of God I'm quoting and I am a fag, don't ''moderate'' this), that my uncles deserved to be killed by Pinochet, that I should have been killed by Pinochet too, that my shit opinions don't matter since I live in a shithole 3rd world country, I've been told I must be a rapist over an article I wrote on due process, those are their opinions, how they made me feel is irrelevant, people should be free to say whatever they want and I will defend the most annoying, self-righteous and stubborn fanboy if this site begins to silence them, there is no moral arbiter to say what's ''easy to deal'', so the same way you claim they are emotionally attached I reject your claim that they should be ''dealt with'' over your emotional response.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

I'd just stick a USB drive with the bios on it in the back of the motherboard and press the "recover my bios" button on the motherboard...

And how would you do that on a motherboard that lacks that function?  :P. Cause your methodology is pretty useless on the motherboard in question.

23 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

So very true.

Today's standard is thinned skinned.

We all have to be tolerant of each other,  the problem with such a precedent the more "tolerant" we aim for, the more intolerant we become.

Even neutral statements are offensive these days ... so sad :| 

This are all feminist progressives...the double standard is real mate.

Pictures as spoilers in case you're easily offended :P 

Spoiler

prog.png

Spoiler

prog2.png

Spoiler

homophobe feminist.png

Spoiler

Culiao.png

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I am so tempted.:|

So am I but yeah ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Sometimes you gotta just say:  What's the point?  ...and let people vent. 

We get wonderfully dank memes tho

Resultado de imagen para autistic screech amd

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, stconquest said:

okay

Objectional thread, i'm not tied up in my own 1 way views :)

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

5 minutes ago, Aphexxis said:

Objectional thread, i'm not tied up in my own 1 way views :)

I argue aggressively here.  Being that I have argued plenty coupled with the fact I am human, I am sometimes wrong.  When I do get proven wrong, I apologize... then thank the individual that corrected me.  I see this as easy and, in my case, lazy. 

Many here are smarter than me in many areas, and use patience to carefully argue their points.  I would recommend following that path, as I try to do... sometimes unsuccessfully.  :)

Just now, stconquest said:

I argue aggressively here.  Being that I have argued plenty coupled with the fact I am human, I am sometimes wrong.  When I do get proven wrong, I apologize... then thank the individual that corrected me.  I see this as easy, and in my case, lazy. 

Many here are smarter than me in many areas, and use patience to careful argue their points.  I would recommend following that path, as I try to do... sometimes unsuccessfully.  :)

(I can vouch for that)

Good advice.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2017 at 2:15 PM, manikyath said:

(shutting down your system mid-update will still brick stuff, but that's kinda to be expected)

Late to the party, but as a software engineer, IMHO, this particular problem is just a bug with an easy fix that seemingly not enough people care about to fix

43 minutes ago, risk said:

Late to the party, but as a software engineer, IMHO, this particular problem is just a bug with an easy fix that seemingly not enough people care about to fix

if you manage to shut down mid-write, you're gonna brick your bios, and unfortunately only very few motherboards have capabilities in place to fix a broken bios. and at that point software has very little to offer.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you manage to shut down mid-write, you're gonna brick your bios, and unfortunately only very few motherboards have capabilities in place to fix a broken bios. and at that point software has very little to offer.

No not really, if you can store 2 bios images (old and new), the code can read both of them, check checksums to see if they're complete, compare timestamps to pick the newer one if both are valid, and use that one; easy!

7 hours ago, risk said:

No not really, if you can store 2 bios images (old and new), the code can read both of them, check checksums to see if they're complete, compare timestamps to pick the newer one if both are valid, and use that one; easy!

but that'd require hardware, not just software ;)

20 hours ago, manikyath said:

but that'd require hardware, not just software ;)

Why?

Just now, risk said:

Why?

because the bios is the very first piece of software that initializes on your system, no working bios is no life at all.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

because the bios is the very first piece of software that initializes on your system, no working bios is no life at all.

Right, but why would special hardware be required?

Just now, risk said:

Right, but why would special hardware be required?

because the things you described have to be done in dedicated hardware, because they need to initialize before the bios.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

because the things you described have to be done in dedicated hardware, because they need to initialize before the bios.

Actually, I was suggesting those things be done in the bios itself -- like today, the update would only update a part of the chip, however which part would be determined at update time.

It would not necessarily solve other problems with bad firmware or bad hardware causing issues, but pulling the plug mid way would be fine, and that "don't unplug your computer message" couldn't be replaced with "updating inactive copy; verifying; done"

Just now, risk said:

Actually, I was suggesting those things be done in the bios itself -- like today, the update would only update a part of the chip, however which part would be determined at update time.

It would not necessarily solve other problems with bad firmware or bad hardware causing issues, but pulling the plug mid way would be fine, and that "don't unplug your computer message" couldn't be replaced with "updating inactive copy; verifying; done"

i think you underestimate the complexity of what you're suggesting.

26 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i think you underestimate the complexity of what you're suggesting.

Possibly, but what makes you say that though.