Connection Machine II Case Mod.

CM2%20Banner.png

The Original:
My favorite case of all time is that of the Connection Machine II (CM-2).
This is a supercomputer from 1987 it takes the form of a cube 1.5 meters on a side, divided equally into eight smaller cubes.
In each of these cubes you would find 16 PCB holding 32 CPU's each.
And all of those CPU's had their own activity LED on the front of the case giving you this amazing matrix of flickering LED's:

Original%20CM2.png

The LED's:
Sadly my computer wont have a 4096 core CPU, so I needed to think of another way to have the LED's.
I ended up going fot 64 8x8 LED matrix boards that will be controlled by 4 Arduino UNO micro controllers.
The LED's will still be influenced by the PC as I will use the HDD activity pin change the LED's as randomly as possible.

The Case:
I will construct my case out of MDF and it will be 60CM x 60CM.
It will take a while for me to start working on the case as I want to make the LED panels first.
I have however made a rough design in SketchUp:

SketchUp%20front.PNG
Front of the case with its glorious 4096 LED's

SketchUp%20IO.PNG
Closeup on the I/O, 2 of the knobs will be for power and reset and 2 will be for the LED's.

SketchUp%20Grill.PNG
Another awesome feature of the case is the grill between all cubes.

SketchUp%20top.PNG
The top of the case will also be ventilated.

SketchUp%20guts.PNG
I don't really care about the PC hardware (its all about the case), so I will have a section that can slide out on rails which should offer enough place for all the PC hardware.

Planning:
Again, this build will take a while, I just ordered some of the LED panels and a Arduino so I can start on that soon.
Once I'm happy with the LED panels and the design I will start on the actual case.
I'm also constantly getting new ideas, my most recent one was to use a RFID receiver to start the PC by simply dropping my key-chain (containing a RFID) on my desk where the reader will be :P

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Oh my lord, and I'm at the moment struggling with putting text on a video :D Good luck with the build, looks awesome already

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

That is going to be epic!!

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Wohoha! Build Logs of the Week are comming!!!

I posted in the wrong section.

o0 the irony :P

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

build of the week incoming!!! @LinusTech and @Slick

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.net

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.net

cpu: Intel sandybridge-E 3930k @ 4.2Ghz

cooler: corsair h100 @ full speed push-pull

motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

gpu: 2x EVGA GTX660's & 1x EVGA GTX980

ssd: 2x samsung 256GB 840 pro raid 0

ssd: 1x samsung 1TB 840 evo

hdd: WD green 3TB

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st1000dm003)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st31000520as)

psu: corsair ax1200i

ram: 8x 4GB corsair platinum @1866mhz

case: coolermaster cosmos II

monitors Main: 8x LG 22EA53 1080p 60hz

monitor Extra: 1xiiyama prolite G2773Hs 1080p 120hz 27"

keyboard: logitech g19

mouse: corsair m60

Lenovo T550

RaspBerry pi webserver:

Nas:

StatusOffline.

PC straight to the modem/router/switch/DHCP-Server/... with a 20cm (+-8inch) cat6a patch cable because same price as cat5.

ISP: Telenet (belgium)

Speed: 60Down-4Up (+- 45€/month)

ping to there servers: +-8ms

ping to other Belgians: +-12ms

- wheels for cosmos II

I like it. What is the time scale of this mod going to be?

Wohoha! Build Logs of the Week are comming!!!

build of the week incoming!!! @LinusTech and @Slick

Best time-frame estimate I could give would be "months" :P 

So think along the lines of LinusTech's build. thumbsup.gif

Sign me up for a truck load of awesome.

That is going to be epic!!

Oh my lord, and I'm at the moment struggling with putting text on a video :D Good luck with the build, looks awesome already

Thanks guys :)

I'll take two please.

Build one yourself :P

Ill put the design online when they are done :)

*insert strong language emphasizing enthusiasm*

Dammit, now I want a 4096 core CPU. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

This case mod is a nice way of looking at the past while also hinting at the future.

Can't wait to see how this comes along, best of luck!

Sweet Jesus, it's epic! Can't wait to see more.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

You said that you would give me the plans  :wub:

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

my-body-is-ready.png

Oh god, it shall be beautiful.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Alright! Insta follow.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Loving the idea of this! Cant wait for it!

Build log

CPU: FX-6100 @ 3.9 MOBO: GA 990XA-UD3 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: HD6870 PSU: Corsair GS800 Case: Bitfenix Outlaw SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Cooling: Custom Water-Cooling Peripherals: Keyboard: G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Sensei Steering Wheel: Logitech G27 Sound: Speakers: Logitech x530 Headset: Razer Chimaera Monitor: Benq G2450HM, LG 32" TV

If that case works out well , then you have the best , coolest , most stylish , awesome and most original case  B)

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

The Original:

My favorite case of all time is that of the Connection Machine II (CM-2).

This is a supercomputer from 1987 it takes the form of a cube 1.5 meters on a side, divided equally into eight smaller cubes.

In each of these cubes you would find 16 PCB holding 32 CPU's each.

And all of those CPU's had their own activity LED on the front of the case giving you this amazing matrix of flickering LED's:

The LED's:

Sadly my computer wont have a 4096 core CPU, so I needed to think of another way to have the LED's.

I ended up going fot 64 8x8 LED matrix boards that will be controlled by 4 Arduino UNO micro controllers.

The LED's will still be influenced by the PC as I will use the HDD activity pin change the LED's as randomly as possible.

The Case:

I will construct my case out of MDF and it will be 60CM x 60CM.

It will take a while for me to start working on the case as I want to make the LED panels first.

I have however made a rough design in SketchUp:

SketchUp%20front.PNG

Front of the case with its glorious 4096 LED's

Closeup on the I/O, 2 of the knobs will be for power and reset and 2 will be for the LED's.

Another awesome feature of the case is the grill between all cubes.

The top of the case will also be ventilated.

I don't really care about the PC hardware (its all about the case), so I will have a section that can slide out on rails which should offer enough place for all the PC hardware.

Planning:

Again, this build will take a while, I just ordered some of the LED panels and a Arduino so I can start on that soon.

Once I'm happy with the LED panels and the design I will start on the actual case.

I'm also constantly getting new ideas, my most recent one was to use a RFID receiver to start the PC by simply dropping my key-chain (containing a RFID) on my desk where the reader will be :P

Let me tell ya, you have alot of work ahead of you :)

I started my CM2 in May and only had the panels cut yet, programming the lights and making the panels to hold them takes... yeah, hours :)

Looking forward to your creation, you probably end up finished before me, i do mine in acrylic and smaller, about 45x45cm.

Let me know if you need any information about the CM2, i had contact with the creators of it and have alot of specs if you need anything to complete your project!

A quick hint, you have too much space between each cube in relation to scale. Insert a image on a CM2 and scale the image to get better spacing and the end result will get better too!

I may have scale skp files if they are any help for you.

Have a good trip, will watch your build log!

I started my CM2 in May and only had the panels cut yet, programming the lights and making the panels to hold them takes... yeah, hours :)

Looking forward to your creation, you probably end up finished before me, i do mine in acrylic and smaller, about 45x45cm.

Let me know if you need any information about the CM2, i had contact with the creators of it and have alot of specs if you need anything to complete your project!

A quick hint, you have too much space between each cube in relation to scale. Insert a image on a CM2 and scale the image to get better spacing and the end result will get better too!

Dont quote pics! :o

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I quoted the pics i was talking about, not all pics as you can see.I removed two more to keep it smaller.

Oh, I am completely sorry. I thought you just quoted the pics. My bad.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

10/10 would use. Probably one of the most interesting cases I've seen in a while. Can't wait to see this thing finished.

Cool, nice to see a second one.

the dimensions of my case largely rely on the size of my LED pannels, I will still make the grill smaller but I probably cant make them the same ratio as the original because of the thinness of the wood and the needed space in the case.

But like I said, main focus for now will be the electronics.

Also, feel free to PM me with as much information as possible :)