Upgrading from my FX8350. Don't know what team to pick

I want to upgrade from my ancient processor but I don't know whether to go to Kaby lake or Ryzen. I mostly use my machine for gaming at 1440p. I'm just not sure the extra cores will benefit me compared to the single core performance. Suggestions? 

I'd wait to see what the Ryzen r5 stuff does, and also wait to see if gaming performance changes any. That's what I'm doing actually. The 4/8 might be pretty good, but we won't know till we have benchmarks and reviews.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1440p depending on the game and multitasking you do, not that big of a difference. 1700 for more multitasking and power 7700k for pure gaming at highfps 1080p. 

I agree.  For 1440p gaming the difference is very small right now (7700k is in the lead though).  I would lean toward the Ryzen because games are always becoming more and more multi threaded. That is the direction the industry is going.  If you plan to have the CPU for several years, I think Ryzen will age much better.  It's also a brand new platform with lots of room to grow in terms of optimizations, support, etc.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

12 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

1440p depending on the game and multitasking you do, not that big of a difference. 1700 for more multitasking and power 7700k for pure gaming at highfps 1080p

FIFY ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

FIFY ;)

in 1440p won't be that big of a difference, in 1080p yes.  1440p resolution will be more bottleneck for the gpu 

16 minutes ago, ssorc3 said:

I want to upgrade from my ancient processor but I don't know whether to go to Kaby lake or Ryzen. I mostly use my machine for gaming at 1440p. I'm just not sure the extra cores will benefit me compared to the single core performance. Suggestions? 

For gaming get the 7700K. Next generation GPUs will be almost 2x more powerful and Ryzen will bottleneck them...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

in 1440p won't be that big of a difference, in 1080p yes.  1440p resolution will be more bottleneck for the gpu 

Yes, but in 2 years, when the 2080 Ti (or however they call it) is launched, it will be more powerful than a 1080 SLI and then Ryzen will be a bottleneck at 1440p....

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, but in 2 years, when the 2080 Ti (or however they call it) is launched, it will be more powerful than a 1080 SLI and then Ryzen will be a bottleneck at 1440p....

6900k is a very OP cpu keep that in mind, it will take longer than that. 

6900k is a very OP cpu keep that in mind, it will take longer than that. 

6900K????? Aren't we talking about Ryzen here? xD

6900K????? Aren't we talking about Ryzen here? xD

ryzen is a cheaper 6900k? what are you talking about a 6800k is a 5820k. 

ryzen is a cheaper 6900k?

In productivity, yes. But in gaming, no......

What does that have to do with anything.....?

wrong video 

Once again, does Jay compare it to the 6900K, no. Watch this instead, it has actual benchmarks:

Once again, does Jay compare it to the 6900K, no. Watch this instead, it has actual benchmarks:

i was showing a general performance, 1440p or it won't matter much, most of it is handled by the gpu. 

i was showing a general performance, 1440p or it won't matter much, most of it is handled by the gpu. 

Yes, but this will not be the case in 1-2 years when more powerful GPUs will be released...

Yes, but this will not be the case in 1-2 years when more powerful GPUs will be released...

1 to 2 years more cores will be used and most bugs will be fixed(hopefully) like the x99 platform did. it's impossible to future proof anything especially a 4 core 8 thread cpu. 

most bugs will be fixed(hopefully) like the x99 platform did.

Ryzen's poor gaming performance cannot be attributed to bugs... It is an architectural issue... (Ryzen's CCXs)

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it's impossible to future proof anything especially a 4 core 8 thread cpu. 

Sure you can... Developers, don't seem to care about optimizing games for more cores...

Ryzen's poor gaming performance cannot be attributed to bugs... It is an architectural issue... (Ryzen's CCXs)

Sure you can... Developers, don't seem to care about optimizing games for more cores...

thankfully ps4 and Xbox one is helping with optimization for more cores, not sure about what you are talking about. we really can't predict what will happen in the future, few years ago i5 for all games not i7s are more prevalent especially with games like watchdog 2 and bf1. 

21 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That's not true.  Not long ago the dual core was king of gaming.  Today, dual core is total garbage.  The gaming industry is heading toward multi-threading.

Edit:  Also, the latest APIs are heavily geared toward optimization. 

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

17 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

thankfully ps4 and Xbox one is helping with optimization for more cores,

That's true. PS4 and Xbox one have 8 threads and most games use 8 threads....

especially with games like watchdog 2 and bf1. 

Battlefield 1 on Ryzen:

Watch_dogs 2 on Ryzen:

17 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

That's not true.  Not long ago the dual core was king of gaming.  Today, dual core is total garbage.  The gaming industry is heading toward multi-threading.

Edit:  Also, the latest APIs are heavily geared toward optimization. 

thankfully ps4 and Xbox one is helping with optimization for more cores, not sure about what you are talking about. we really can't predict what will happen in the future, few years ago i5 for all games not i7s are more prevalent especially with games like watchdog 2 and bf1. 

The problem with Ryzen's gaming performance is not that games can't take advantage of multiple cores. The problem is that games USE multiple cores. Let me explain:

Ryzen is not a "simple" 8 core die, it is a single die with dual quad core CCXs. The latency between cores on different CCXs is very high compared to the latency between cores on the same CCX. (Almost 3x higher). This is from PCPer's article:

While it was not our reason for performing this test, the results may provide a possible explanation for the relatively poor performance seen in some gaming workloads. Multithreaded media encoding and tests like Cinebench segment chunks of the workload across multiple threads. There is little inter-thread communication necessary as each chunk is sent back to a coordination thread upon completion. Games (and some other workloads we assume) are a different story as their threads are sharing a lot of actively changing data, and a game that does this heavily might incur some penalty if a lot of those communications ended up crossing between CCX modules. We do not yet know the exact impact this could have on any specific game, but we do know that communicating across Ryzen cores on different CCX modules takes twice as long as Intel's inter-core communication as seen in the examples above, and 2x the latency of anything is bound to have an impact.

So if games become more multithreaded, threads that belong to cores on different CCXs would have to communicate and this would cause performance issues. This issue can be fixed if games are optimized to use up to 8 threads that belong to cores that are on the same CCX, so that the exchange of data between CCXs can be avoided. Either way, Ryzen 7 is not a gaming CPU, even if AMD marketed it as one. It is an amazing CPU for productivity and heavy multitasking and this is what this CPU is meant for.

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

So if games become more multithreaded, threads that belong to cores on different CCXs would have to communicate and this would cause performance issues. This issue can be fixed if games are optimized to use up to 8 threads that belong to cores that are on the same CCX, so that the exchange of data between CCXs can be avoided. Either way, Ryzen 7 is not a gaming CPU, even if AMD marketed it as one. It is an amazing CPU for productivity and heavy multitasking and this is what this CPU is meant for.

yup, i agree other then light gaming or secondary gaming task ryzen should not be bought for gaming. 

I wish the i7 7740k was out already, mmm Titan X Volta + i7 7740k, makes me drool.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)