Your perfect OS (Combination)

nobiggieBIG
11 hours ago, nobiggieBIG said:

fuck ever since i joined the fucking forums i cannot stop typing linus

I didn't event notice that you wrote it wrong :D 

15 hours ago, themctipers said:

Shakes in fear

Learn to use a package manager with friendly controls such as Aptitude (a.k.a., apt in Ubuntu and Debian) through the command-line first and it'll stop being scary.

If you need an excuse to use the terminal, install Guake or Yakuake. These two are terminals that pop down from the top of the screen at the press of a button like the console in Quake. Pretty convenient since you don't have to open or move any windows around to use them. ConEmu can do the same thing for Windows.

These 5 commands will get you a long way:

apt search keywords go here #Will show a list of available packages that have the keywords in the name or description
                            #You can put multiple keywords separated by spaces after `apt search` and they don't have to be in qoutes
                            #The # character marks anything after it on the same line as a comment
                            #Copying a comment into a terminal and running it will do nothing

sudo apt install package-name-here #FYI, sudo means "super user do", which gives admin powers

sudo apt remove package-name-here #Should be obvious what this does

sudo apt update #Updates the list of packages you can install. This is mostly used when checking for updates or after adding a repository

sudo apt upgrade #Upgrades all packages. Best used after `sudo apt update`.

#A real example with the first 3 commands
apt search web browser #Find a web browser. Let's pick Firefox.
sudo apt install firefox
sudo apt remove firefox

16 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Can Linux and Mac feel and look like this glorious setup I have?

Sample01.png

I'm not sure if you're making a joke or not. All you did was change the start button icon, add some widgets and use a cool wallpaper. There's nothing special about this.

This is KDE Plasma with the Breeze Dark theme and Simple App Menu widget:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwIHrp471JaZNERwc2lXcHVRSmc

Just now, noahdvs said:

I'm not sure if you're making a joke or not. All you did was change the start button icon, add some widgets and use a cool wallpaper. There's nothing special about this.

Well but it was all custom made by myself

1 minute ago, noahdvs said:

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Well but it was all custom made by myself

That makes it more impressive, but it makes you look more impressive than it makes Windows look impressive. My distro came with widgets that do all that by default.

Screenshot_20170312_143007.png

2 hours ago, noahdvs said:

That makes it more impressive, but it makes you look more impressive than it makes Windows look impressive. My distro came with widgets that do all that by default.

Screenshot_20170312_143007.png

what fucking os is that? its beautiful

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

1 hour ago, nobiggieBIG said:

what fucking os is that? its beautiful

KDE, a desktop environment for Linux. My Linux distro is KDE neon.

2 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

KDE, a desktop environment for Linux. My Linux distro is KDE neon.

mine is manjaro xfce, ill try manjaro kde, im really reluctant to install linux though, i just cannot be arsed to switch from linux to windows

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Just now, nobiggieBIG said:

mine is manjaro xfce, ill try manjaro kde

I've been thinking about trying out manjaro if I get tired of using Ubuntu based distros. Seems like it would be right up my alley.

Just now, noahdvs said:

I've been thinking about trying out manjaro if I get tired of using Ubuntu based distros. Seems like it would be right up my alley.

its incredible, but as of current i just cannot be bothered to make linux usb and install it. and then when my pc starts up go on linux, but then when my friend asks me to play cs ill have to boot to windows

The perfect combination would be OpenBSD with a native Windows layer. As this wouldn't work, I'll continue recommending the right OS for the right purpose. 

Write in C.

• 4 weeks later...

Linux but has gaming capability like Windows.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

On 3/12/2017 at 4:07 PM, noahdvs said:

You really should, I really like it, try he i3 version for a fresh and swift Desktop Environment

On 3/12/2017 at 4:08 PM, nobiggieBIG said:

its incredible, but as of current i just cannot be bothered to make linux usb and install it. and then when my pc starts up go on linux, but then when my friend asks me to play cs ill have to boot to windows

I get that.. lol, but boot times are pretty good with lightweight distros like Arch and Manjaro, also making the bootable usb is pretty easy with Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Manjaro has by default the option that grub remembers your previous choice and so you don't have to run to select windows when you boot a second time :P

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/04/2017 at 7:31 PM, VicBar said:

You really should, I really like it, try he i3 version for a fresh and swift Desktop Environment

I get that.. lol, but boot times are pretty good with lightweight distros like Arch and Manjaro, also making the bootable usb is pretty easy with Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Manjaro has by default the option that grub remembers your previous choice and so you don't have to run to select windows when you boot a second time :P

this as well as CSGO runs fairly decent FPS/Performance on linux and mac.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:08 PM, Droidbot said:

Conky and Zorin will beat the shit outta that

But can you make Winblows look this good? 

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 1.06.15 PM.png

Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 on my laptop looks very similar to this. Has day/night theme, tons of dock options and tweaks, the list goes on. With Gnome shell extensions, there's tons of things you can add to customize your desktop environment, all with their own set of options. And it's extremely easy to work with. :) Will take a screen shot tonight.

On 3/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, noahdvs said:

Learn to use a package manager with friendly controls such as Aptitude (a.k.a., apt in Ubuntu and Debian) through the command-line first and it'll stop being scary.

If you need an excuse to use the terminal, install Guake or Yakuake. These two are terminals that pop down from the top of the screen at the press of a button like the console in Quake. Pretty convenient since you don't have to open or move any windows around to use them. ConEmu can do the same thing for Windows.

These 5 commands will get you a long way:

apt search keywords go here #Will show a list of available packages that have the keywords in the name or description
                            #You can put multiple keywords separated by spaces after `apt search` and they don't have to be in qoutes
                            #The # character marks anything after it on the same line as a comment
                            #Copying a comment into a terminal and running it will do nothing

sudo apt install package-name-here #FYI, sudo means "super user do", which gives admin powers

sudo apt remove package-name-here #Should be obvious what this does

sudo apt update #Updates the list of packages you can install. This is mostly used when checking for updates or after adding a repository

sudo apt upgrade #Upgrades all packages. Best used after `sudo apt update`.

#A real example with the first 3 commands
apt search web browser #Find a web browser. Let's pick Firefox.
sudo apt install firefox
sudo apt remove firefox

Drop-down terminal is awesome. 

In Ubuntu Gnome, you don't need to install Guake or Yakuake. Just have to enable drop-down terminal in Gnome shell extensions and boom, it's there. :) I use the "~" key to drop it down/hide it. Very useful and clean. It's always there, in a sense. No need to open a separate window.

I showed one of my friends how much easier it is to do something as simple as installing a program on Linux vs windows. I showed him that to install steam, for example, in windows you have to open your browser, type in the steam URL, go to the website, download the setup.exe, then run it. In Linux, I just have to hit "~" to drop down the terminal, then type in "sudo apt-get install steam".  Done. ;) 

My perfect OS already exists and is virtually limitless. What's holding it back are the software/game devs that care not to make their apps compatible. I would argue that is not the fault of Linux devs. The drivers are on par and user-friendliness, IMO is better than windows. Windows is not as bloated as it once was, but since the advent of Windows 10, it has become far too locked-down to the point where it's becoming more like OSX/Apple software and in some ways, worse. The forced updates with no [easy] way to stop it (and cortana) really cheese me off. lol. One of the main reasons I nuked windows from my laptop. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 on my laptop looks very similar to this. Has day/night theme, tons of dock options and tweaks, the list goes on. With Gnome shell extensions, there's tons of things you can add to customize your desktop environment, all with their own set of options. And it's extremely easy to work with. :) Will take a screen shot tonight.

Drop-down terminal is awesome. 

I triple boot Win10-OSX-Gnome 16.04

Dock on right side, Guake enabled. It's bliss but the thermals are worrying af

idk

10 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I triple boot Win10-OSX-Gnome 16.04

Dock on right side, Guake enabled. It's bliss but the thermals are worrying af

Triple boot, on a fairly modern laptop? I commend you on getting that to work. lol

Time to clean out the fan/heatsink? ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

@Droidbot  Here's my laptop desktop as I mentioned earlier. :) 

5902c2debdf10_Screenshotfrom2017-04-2800-02-47.png.5ea3f09ddcf621f3f0f59ac9ffc73ab2.png

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

15 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Triple boot, on a fairly modern laptop? I commend you on getting that to work. lol

Time to clean out the fan/heatsink? ;) 

triple boot + uefi boot + eGPU

solid

it's clean. however, I had no paste, so I used a thermal pad

idk

My perfect OS would be Windows 7 with Openbox or Fluxbox.

-KuJoe