Two machines having the same IP address?

whiteGloveReview
Go to solution Solved by whiteGloveReview,
Just now, legacy99 said:

On your LAN you will different IPs, but when you look it up. You have a single IP from your ISP that all traffic is sent to and from according to the WWW. They dont see your devices behind your router. All they see is your router. Once you send it, your router knows what device it came from and where the traffic should end up ultimately when sent back to you. All say linustechtips.com is going to see is your IP, say 208.87.201.8 and your Router mac address of 0000.0001.1234 and be like on, here is what you want. Once your router receives that, its like on, device at ip 192.168.0.5 requested this information and forwards it to your device. 

once again, i'm reminded on how fantastically complicated networking can be. thanks a bunch.

So to fix this, could I just call my ISP up and request that my IPs be changed?

True that, this is not a networking problem anymore.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

8 minutes ago, Just.Oblivious said:

True that, this is not a networking problem anymore.

my thoughts exactly. Starting a new topic on the server page as we speak. I'll link it when I'm done.

new discussion here.

Edited by whiteGloveReview
link