Which liquid cooler should I use?

Hello,

I'm building a new PC (my first time) and i was wondering which cooler i should pick. Should I pick the 

NZXT Kraken X62 or the Corsair Hydro Series H100i .

I'll be running an intel core i5 7600k with a GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX running on a MSI z270 Gaming M5 motherboard.

Thanks for your help :-)

2 minutes ago, Waleed Abuhana said:

Hello,

I'm building a new PC (my first time) and i was wondering which cooler i should pick. Should I pick the 

I'll be running an intel core i5 7600k with a GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX running on a MSI z270 Gaming M5 motherboard.

Welcome to the Forums!

If you want the greatest amount potential cooling performance the X62 being a dual 140mm rad would be the best of the two.

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

Hello,

I feel like with that money you could have saved a bit for cheaper cooler and gone with i7 7700k

Will it be worth the extra money ?

Thanks for the answer though.

Would go prolly on the looks and case compatibility at this point. Maybe give the included items a look and decide XD?

The H100i V2 is definitely the better buy.  It will have no problem with a 7600K.  The Kraken is X62 is way over priced and won't cool substantially better.  It will simply because it is a 280 rad...but the extra $60 is not worth it for 6c or so.

If RGB matters that much to you, then it definitely 'looks' better...but it doesn't really perform better.  You could get a Corsair H115i or the new EVGA 280 for $30 less and both of those are 280 rads that perform equally.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I feel like with that money you could have saved a bit for cheaper cooler and gone with i7 7700k

Well gaming wise in most games(if gaming of course) the watercooler would actually be of more value than a 7700k.

3 minutes ago, Waleed Abuhana said:

Hello,

They are both good. The X62 has an aesthetic a lot of people really like, and it preforms just as well, if not a little better while remaining quieter. HOWEVER, you should pay attention to the support in your case. If you don't have the support for a 280rad, go with the Corsair.

Go with the Kraken X62, much better cooling performance over the H100i due to it being a 280mm radiator instead of 240mm radiator. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Since I barely know about compatibility and stuff would the 
Phanteks PH-EC416PTG_BR Eclipse P400 Steel ATX Mid Tower Case Black/Red, "Tempered Glass" Edition Cases

work with the x62 cooler?

1 minute ago, Waleed Abuhana said:

Phanteks PH-EC416PTG_BR Eclipse P400 Steel ATX Mid Tower Case Black/Red, "Tempered Glass" Edition Cases

work with the cooler?

Yes, It would work with either one, though you may need to put it in the front. Either one should do you just fine. I've actually considered using that exact case.

work with the x62 cooler?

It will

Just for reference....while I do have 7700k that runs well with low voltage (1.165v)...as well as lowering my VCCPLL OC to 1.15v vs the default 1.25v which helps with temps...my H100i V2 keeps my 7700K's game load temps in the mid 40s.  Granted that is with stock clock of 4.5ghz of course.

You could likely expect no worse with a 7600K with only 4 cores.  If you want the 280 rad then go for it, but don't feel as though you have to.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

It's been awhile since I used an AIO. I had both NZXT and Corsair. NZXT gave me a better performance. Plus it was quieter & NZXT has better software. Corsair link software is garbage.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

12 hours ago, Xenift said:

Well gaming wise in most games(if gaming of course) the watercooler would actually be of more value than a 7700k.

LOL, how do you figure that?? A top end air cooler for half the price works just as well as any AIO, whereas a 7700K will give extra FPS in gaming over a 7600K. Marginal improvement and arguably not the best value, but AIOs are negative value vs air coolers, unless you are simply in love with the aesthetic or have a case set-up where RAM height restriction or cooler height is extremely restrictive.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

9 hours ago, atomicus said:

LOL, how do you figure that?? A top end air cooler for half the price works just as well as any AIO, whereas a 7700K will give extra FPS in gaming over a 7600K. Marginal improvement and arguably not the best value, but AIOs are negative value vs air coolers, unless you are simply in love with the aesthetic or have a case set-up where RAM height restriction or cooler height is extremely restrictive.

Im talking in terms of single core performance or up to 4. Without hyperthreading. (Most games dont utilize hyperthreading much at all.)

Source: (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-6700k-hyperthreading-test.219417/)

It might have some effect on some other games, but little.

If you were on to something like getting an air cooler thats as good as a watercooler thats great too. But my point in is that for gaming needs only, and i5 is equally in terms of performance, and less costly.

And putting his money towards that cooler is better than putting it in an upgrade to i7.

As somone who has both. NZXT. The software is better, the pump is quieter, the looks are better. And the cooling is better. 

If you're gonna buy corsair AIO then expect to buy new fans. 

12 hours ago, Xenift said:

Im talking in terms of single core performance or up to 4. Without hyperthreading. (Most games dont utilize hyperthreading much at all.)

Source: (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-6700k-hyperthreading-test.219417/)

It might have some effect on some other games, but little.

If you were on to something like getting an air cooler thats as good as a watercooler thats great too. But my point in is that for gaming needs only, and i5 is equally in terms of performance, and less costly.

And putting his money towards that cooler is better than putting it in an upgrade to i7.

I don't get your argument. At all. It makes no sense. AIO vs top and Air = nothing, no difference, no benefit, no performance boost yet twice the price. An i5 vs an i7 = an impact on some games, perhaps not others, but all in you will still see SOME difference, and potentially quite a big one in some scenarios. I mean, there's not even a case to be made here, it's just utterly absurd what you are saying, that someone should spend their money on an AIO over a processor upgrade. O.o

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

On 3/12/2017 at 11:42 PM, atomicus said:

I don't get your argument. At all. It makes no sense. AIO vs top and Air = nothing, no difference, no benefit, no performance boost yet twice the price. An i5 vs an i7 = an impact on some games, perhaps not others, but all in you will still see SOME difference, and potentially quite a big one in some scenarios. I mean, there's not even a case to be made here, it's just utterly absurd what you are saying, that someone should spend their money on an AIO over a processor upgrade. O.o

You seem to dodge to any point you were making previously.

There was obviously no argument at all, you did not even understand the preset that was brought upon you.

Simply put, when i was mentioning water cooler being more of a value, i wasn't dissing at high performance air coolers, you need to get that.

Secondly, there was no test case set in terms of how hot a system can be when overclocking, so basically the system can be using a stock cooler running at 95deg for all you know and it still fits for "value".

There is way more to finding what is suitable for a person.

Lastly, i believe if aesthetics is the OP's choice over using air coolers it's his decision. Some people simply prefer aesthetics over value and we here are suppose to answer them such that they do not make major mistakes, not judge their sense of style nor the depth of their pockets(certain cases are hopeless tho).

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:50 AM, GamesOfThrones said:

If you're gonna buy corsair AIO then expect to buy new fans. 

lol just curious to why you say this I have the H100i v2 and the fans sound like jet propellers when the rpms kick up I take it this is a famous problem

2 hours ago, Xenift said:

You seem to dodge to any point you were making previously.

There was obviously no argument at all, you did not even understand the preset that was brought upon you.

Simply put, when i was mentioning water cooler being more of a value, i wasn't dissing at high performance air coolers, you need to get that.

Secondly, there was no test case set in terms of how hot a system can be when overclocking, so basically the system can be using a stock cooler running at 95deg for all you know and it still fits for "value".

There is way more to finding what is suitable for a person.

Lastly, i believe if aesthetics is the OP's choice over using air coolers it's his decision. Some people simply prefer aesthetics over value and we here are suppose to answer them such that they do not make major mistakes, not judge their sense of style nor the depth of their pockets(certain cases are hopeless tho).

NO. LOL, backtrack much? You originally said "...gaming wise in most games the watercooler would actually be of more value than a 7700k." You then went on to talk about single vs 4 core performance etc. What's all this nonsense about stock coolers? Where's that coming from? OP is building a system for the first time and wants to know what cooler to pick... telling him an AIO should be chosen over an air cooler instead of a CPU upgrade is just a dumb suggestion and BAD advice.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that AIOs perform broadly the same as Air coolers. Paying twice as much for one does not remotely meet the definition of the word 'value'. The OP never once mentions aesthetics, so you're just bringing that up to try and justify your position, but even then aesthetics plays no part in the value/performance quotient. Yes, he may attach high value to the aesthetic for his own satisfaction, but you cannot make that assumption and your initial statement made no reference to aesthetics anyway, you just said an AIO was better value.

An AIO loses on value/performance every time given they perform virtually the same, and putting that extra money towards a CPU will absolutely categorically see improvements in some situations, if not all, especially in the future.

4 minutes ago, atomicus said:

NO. LOL, backtrack much? You originally said "...gaming wise in most games the watercooler would actually be of more value than a 7700k." You then went on to talk about single vs 4 core performance etc. What's all this nonsense about stock coolers? Where's that coming from? OP is building a system for the first time and wants to know what cooler to pick... telling him an AIO should be chosen over an air cooler instead of a CPU upgrade is just a dumb suggestion and BAD advice.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that AIOs perform broadly the same as Air coolers. Paying twice as much for one does not remotely meet the definition of the word 'value'. The OP never once mentions aesthetics, so you're just bringing that up to try and justify your position, but even then aesthetics plays no part in the value/performance quotient. Yes, he may attach high value to the aesthetic for his own satisfaction, but you cannot make that assumption and your initial statement made no reference to aesthetics anyway, you just said an AIO was better value.

An AIO loses on value/performance every time given they perform virtually the same, and putting that extra money towards a CPU will absolutely categorically see improvements in some situations, if not all, especially in the future.

You obviously don't read or don't know how to.

1 minute ago, Xenift said:

You obviously don't read or don't know how to.

Lol, how do you explain that? You wrote a post in English, I understood it and responded. Perhaps it is you who can't write and are unclear what the words you put down actually mean.

"...gaming wise in most games the watercooler would actually be of more value than a 7700k."

Please explain THIS. It's a factually incorrect statement that is just wrong and terrible advice to the OP.

1 minute ago, atomicus said:

Lol, how do you explain that? You wrote a post in English, I understood it and responded. Perhaps it is you who can't write and are unclear what the words you put down actually mean.

"...gaming wise in most games the watercooler would actually be of more value than a 7700k."

Please explain THIS. It's a factually incorrect statement that is just wrong and terrible advice to the OP.