Is the i5 still enough? Bottlenecking explained with an RX-480.

Majestic

Would love to do some test on my own but i don't have any of those games. =( 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I suspect this is something likely planned for hence looks like coffee lake is gonna start pumping up the core counts on desktop high end CPUs.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Would love to do some test on my own but i don't have any of those games. =( 

Which newer games do you have? I can maybe add a few.

1 hour ago, Tellos said:

I suspect this is something likely planned for hence looks like coffee lake is gonna start pumping up the core counts on desktop high end CPUs.

If the game developers didn't code for multiple cores, the weak 8 cores on the consoles would struggle.

Don't have any 2016 games except Fifa 2017. xD

My potential candidates, 

GTA5

Just Cause 3

pCars

Witcher 3

Cities Skylines

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Don't have any 2016 games except Fifa 2017. xD

My potential candidates, 

GTA5

Just Cause 3

pCars

Witcher 3

Cities Skylines

Those two I have. I haven't really played skylines much though, do you have some large map you can share? Would maybe be prudent to synchronize the results a bit by using the same map to scroll over, at the same settings.

GTA 5 i'd have to download aswell again, all cocking 70GB's of it.

39 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Those two I have. I haven't really played skylines much though, do you have some large map you can share? Would maybe be prudent to synchronize the results a bit by using the same map to scroll over, at the same settings.

GTA 5 i'd have to download aswell again, all cocking 70GB's of it.

Oh.. dang, i don't have any save game for Skylines since my main SSD went kaput last November. Yeah better to use same map/save for consistency.

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Oh.. dang, i don't have any save game for Skylines since my main SSD went kaput last November. Yeah better to use same map/save for consistency.

Just make something needlessly huge and I'll run it. I have no idea how to play the game :D

Or maybe some savegames from the webz

16 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Just make something needlessly huge and I'll run it. I have no idea how to play the game :D

Or maybe some savegames from the webz

Download Los Santos savegame from Steam Workshop, i think pretty good map to bench unless you prefer other heavy maps. I don't have any DLCs though.

16 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Download Los Santos savegame from Steam Workshop, i think pretty good map to bench unless you prefer other heavy maps. I don't have any DLCs though.

There's a few of them :P

I've my system in my signature, yesterday was streaming Fallout 4 at 1920x1200 no problem 60fps. I think some of these bottlenecks are in certain scenarios but I have to question just how often a real world user would run into them? 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

I've my system in my signature, yesterday was streaming Fallout 4 at 1980x1200 no problem 60fps. I think some of these bottlenecks are in certain scenarios but question just how often a real world user would run into them? 

Perhaps reading the article would answer some of the questions. CPU bottlenecks are presented in poor frametimes/framepacing. Anyone susceptible to stutter is going to mind. 

That said, Fallout 4 isn't particularly multithreaded, so a CPU with more threads won't help much.

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Perhaps reading the article would answer some of the questions.

Your own verdict pretty much backs me up, you conclude that i5's are in terms of future proofing a false economy in many respects given the cost difference to an i7 with HT. Or a Ryzen build for more cores (unless you have deep pockets, in which case why do you have an i5 currently?) and as workloads in your benchmarks and upcoming titles show the i5 is being left behind at a steady pace.

(note I'm currently pondering spending the cash on an i7 7700k)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

Your own verdict pretty much backs me up, you conclude that i5's are in terms of future proofing a false economy in many respects given the cost difference to an i7 with HT. Or a Ryzen build for more cores (unless you have deep pockets, in which case why do you have an i5 currently?)

That wasn't your question, you asked how much you would notice these bottlenecks on a subjective level. Which are explained on a case-by-case basis in the article.

The actual viability of the product depends on the workload, but I don't find the price you pay for the i5's very compelling these days. Even in the games that only scale up to 4 threads the i5's are nearing their edge, and any game that is capable of scaling beyond 4 threads they fall short. So no, I don't think i5's are viable anymore. Why do I own one? Because it's from 2013 and now 4 years old, back then they were still good value. However, given it's age and the fact it's not being outpaced by the 7600K by much at all, one can question the value given the fact that games are beginning to require better CPU's (threads especially). A Xeon you can get for cheap, or a Ryzen CPu makes much more sense until Intel starts shipping out units with significantly more threads for the same money as the i5.

I find i5's poor value these days. And if Intel doesn't change their pricing dramatically they will get creamed with Ryzen 3 and 5.

@xAcid9 what are the boost frequencies of that CPU? I can set custom boost tables in the BIOS, so I can match your IPC. You'll have to do two seperate tests, one with HT and one without. As we need the 4C results to look at the delta caused by the different driver overhead from Nvidia. 

How are we going to test both games?

GTA 5 I suggest we drive around a bit downtown, see picture.

Spoiler

gta5.jpg

As for Cities skylines, I suggest a 60 or 120 recording whilst panning. You know how to make the same graphs as in the article?

3.5Ghz on all cores.

Randomly drive around or you have specific routes in mind? Maybe start from Michael's house and use his car?

Sound good enough for Skylines but gonna be pain in the arse to get perfectly matching camera angle. :P

Yeah i know how to make the graphs, do we need to match graphic settings as well?

9 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

3.5Ghz on all cores.

Randomly drive around or you have specific routes in mind? Maybe start from Michael's house and use his car?

Sound good enough for Skylines but gonna be pain in the arse to get perfectly matching camera angle. :P

Yeah i know how to make the graphs, do we need to match graphic settings as well?

Well, I did the test on 3.6ghz, shouldn't matter that much. It's on the OP already. Yeah Michael's House and drive around the circle a bit, traffic causes so much of a variance that the length of the test is the only way to level it out a bit. (2-3 minutes).

Cities Skylines, need to play it to figure out what is best.

4C4T

Spoiler

ak7RWPT.png

4C8T

Spoiler

eKoRSgi.png

This game hate my proc, bottlenecked pretty severely at lower setting. I need 4xMSAA if i want almost constant GPU bound.

You can see a slight frametime bump in 4C4T graph, CPU usage pegged@100% during that period.

This is Ivy Bridge though, 6 years old?

Opss.. that was GTA5.

Wait, how come you bought a 480? Something wrong with your 980?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

27 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Wait, how come you bought a 480? Something wrong with your 980?

Swapped it, cause of the freesync panel. But i'm not exactly sold on the thing. My year long of bashing the drivers hasn't been resolved, rather confirmed.

I like wattman though.

Just now, Majestic said:

Swapped it, cause of the freesync panel.

Ah okay. Will you be sticking with the card, or upgrading to Vega?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Ah okay. Will you be sticking with the card, or upgrading to Vega?

Not sure yet, the freesync implementation of this panel isn't stellar. So I might just upgrade to a better Nvidia card and just deal with the tearing.

Which is not as bad on a 144hz panel asl it is on a 60hz panel.

Image quality of this panel is something else though. The contrast is sick.