(Windows server 2012R2) Setting up a remote access samba share

Recently, I upgraded to windows server 2012r2 from windows server 2008 due to some issues with samba shares and non-windows based platforms. it's now working, but I've been looking into remote samba shares. i really don't know how to do it and researching on how to do it on windows has been very difficult. Any help or advice is much appreciated

remote shares are annoying to set up and get working

i've never used Samba before, but i think you download it and set it up via a config file or interface somehow

after looking at google images for "Samba interface: it looks like you use it on linux or a web interface via an ip to configure it

i might download it and report back with what i have learned because it looks advanced and might take some explaining to understand

also i might tag some other people who might have experince with Samba

@leadeater

@Ryan_Vickers

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

If you want remote access to network shares VPN is your easiest method and is safe to do so, don't just port forward the necessary network ports to the internet as that is really unsafe to do.

If you're not able to properly access the shares from a Linux machine, make sure you have Samba installed.  It will often seem like it's working only to fail at something later on if you don't.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 3/9/2017 at 9:37 AM, leadeater said:

VPN is your easiest method and is safe to do so

prob the only method if you are serious about it

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!