PWM fan hub (need help)

So I´ve just "finished" my first build from the ground up and everything is working as it should as far as posting and detecting the components go (haven´t installed windows yet). But there´s one question i have:

: So I´ve plugged my Ryzen stock cpu cooler fan into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard and then i connected the PWM fan hub to the CHA_FAN header. Now... the chassi fans are spinning but i don´t get a report on their rpm or the number of them in the UEFI. Why is that? I think they´re also running at max speed in the UEFI.

(The CHA_FAN header has a pin that is called "CHA FAN PWM" shouldn´t that mean that it supports fan control with the hub?)

A side question: What is a normal RPM for a cpu cooler fan and a chassi fan in idle? ( Ryzen R7 1700 at about 40 degrees)

Thank you so much for the help in advance!

I am not an expert, but I would just install windows and then update the UEFI, maybe it will work then.

9 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

I am not an expert, but I would just install windows and then update the UEFI, maybe it will work then.

Yeah that´s what i thought too. Will do that then.

Some motherboards run all fans at max or a fixed speed until the system boots into an OS. Check in the UEFI, there's probably a setting for the fan speed. It might say something like "quiet mode" or "normal" etc. Check your motherboard manual as well. It'll probably explain this. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Hub only reports one fans rpm to mobo. If the hub has empty headers and you aren't seeing any fans, you haven't connected the one with rpm sensor.

Its possible that CHA_FAN is set to DC mode instead of PWM so that fans don't follow any curve. Or that normal mode is full speed. I need to know which mobo to check further.

As for normal idle rpm, that will depend on fan. For my 1600rpm A15s its 800rpm. You should be looking at what is max rpm, idle is half or bit under half of that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Hub only reports one fans rpm to mobo. If the hub has empty headers and you aren't seeing any fans, you haven't connected the one with rpm sensor.

Its possible that CHA_FAN is set to DC mode instead of PWM so that fans don't follow any curve. Or that normal mode is full speed. I need to know which mobo to check further.

As for normal idle rpm, that will depend on fan. For my 1600rpm A15s its 800rpm. You should be looking at what is max rpm, idle is half or bit under half of that.

ASUS Prime B350M-A - ATX is the mobo I´m using, I´m gonna check bios for that DC/PWM when i get home today, thx

I use a hub and the speeds aren't reported, however, you should be able to set the speeds in the bios - there should be an option to set a curve.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 hours ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

ASUS Prime B350M-A - ATX is the mobo I´m using, I´m gonna check bios for that DC/PWM when i get home today, thx

Asus has excellent fan support, so you will be able to setup curve in UEFI.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Asus has excellent fan support, so you will be able to setup curve in UEFI.

But you have to do it yourself? It´s not something that is setup manually?

2 minutes ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

But you have to do it yourself? It´s not something that is setup manually?

CPU fan header is supposed to be automatic curve and default PWM. Rest are default DC and set to one speed.

I haven't (sadly) used Asus since they moved to UEFI, and manual is really basic. You need to do some experimenting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv