Overclocking screwed my computer (help) 4.1 dropping to 1.4 ghz randomly

Go to solution Solved by Krillingt75961,
On 3/7/2017 at 7:49 PM, Mr. Billy said:

I'm new to the forums, but hello. today i tried to overclock my AMD Fx 8350 to 4.1 GHz instead of 4.0 GHz. Then my computer was fine, until I my games. I was getting significantly lower amounts of fps then normal (290 fps in csgo to 90-100 fps) I decided to check my clock speed and temperatures by downloading a program called "Open Hardware Monitor." It showed me that my cpu was running around 35 degrees celsius idle. I don't know if thats bad, but the part I know is bad is that my clock speed was going from 4119 MHz and then dropping to 1419 MHz randomly. Any suggestions? I'm knew to the overclocking scene so i don't know too much.

My specs:

Amd Fx 8350

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

MSI 1060 3GB

16 GBs of DDR3 memory (couldn't find exact name)

Nothing else is overclocked. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thanks everyone so much for the quick reply

EDIT: Nothing working and can't find my vrm temps. I overclocked on amd overdrive (Idk if that's bad). The cpu keeps running at 4.1GHz instead of 4.0GHz no matter what I do, even with turbo core off(if that even effects it).

Data.CSV

First thing is get a board with 8+2 Power Phase because 4+1 is not recommended for the FX 83XX series and definitely not to OC at all. Find a good 990 chipset board which usually starts around $100 for a solid one. (I recommend Asus)

Make sure your power save functions are off in the Bios because those will mess with it hard, even when you need the performance. Overdrive is annoying as hell and any decent board will allow you to do it in Bios. Most guides will tell you what features to turn off with this. I personally have experience with an Asus M5A99X Evo and there are many Asus boards with an identical Bios. I can provide a guide for this if you want. Even if the Bios looks different but is the same board manufacturer, the names of settings should be the same.

Also before you do anything else, make sure you look into what you're doing well before changing settings. 4.5GHZ won't provide a substantial boost in games and 4.1GHZ will do practically nothing over the 4.0GHZ stock speed.

I'm new to the forums, but hello. today i tried to overclock my AMD Fx 8350 to 4.1 GHz instead of 4.0 GHz. Then my computer was fine, until I my games. I was getting significantly lower amounts of fps then normal (290 fps in csgo to 90-100 fps) I decided to check my clock speed and temperatures by downloading a program called "Open Hardware Monitor." It showed me that my cpu was running around 35 degrees celsius idle. I don't know if thats bad, but the part I know is bad is that my clock speed was going from 4119 MHz and then dropping to 1419 MHz randomly. Any suggestions? I'm knew to the overclocking scene so i don't know too much.

My specs:

Amd Fx 8350

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

MSI 1060 3GB

EDIT: Nothing working and can't find my vrm temps. I overclocked on amd overdrive (Idk if that's bad). The cpu keeps running at 4.1GHz instead of 4.0GHz no matter what I do, even with turbo core off(if that even effects it).

Data.CSV

Edited by Mr. Billy
More info

Dropping to 1.419mhz is probably just the power saving feature of the chip.  You need to check your load speeds and load temps to see if it is running too warm.  You need to list your voltages as well so someone familiar with AMD can help you.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

Get HWinfo64 and check 'VRM' temperatures. The VRMs are the things that supply power to your CPU, and when you push them too far on a cheap board it can make them thermal throttle really bad, forcing your clockspeeds to go down. 

idk

Go to UEFI settings and turn off every power saving feature you can find. They can be a bit scattered so be thourough.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Billy said:

Overclocking from 4.0-4.1? Really? What's the point. And If you don't know how to OC, then I suggest you do a little more research before you try it.

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

3 minutes ago, Earnhardt said:

Overclocking from 4.0-4.1? Really? What's the point. And If you don't know how to OC, then I suggest you do a little more research before you try it.

He'd probably increase the overclock if it worked fine. Overclocking should be done incrementally after all.

10 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Go to UEFI settings and turn off every power saving feature you can find. They can be a bit scattered so be thourough.

No need to, he can OC with them enabled. Idle clocks falling to 1.4GHz is a good thing: less power consumption, and you are not doing anything anyway.

6 minutes ago, Earnhardt said:

Overclocking from 4.0-4.1? Really? What's the point. 

100MHz?

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No need to, he can OC with them enabled. Idle clocks falling to 1.4GHz is a good thing: less power consumption, and you are not doing anything anyway.

Not a good thing if it results in a huge performance drop. Besides shutting them down for stability testing is definitely the way to go.

2 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Not a good thing if it results in a huge performance drop.

It doesn't. Clocks when doing nothing aren't relevant, and clocks under load are unaffected by them.

3 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Besides shutting them down for stability testing is definitely the way to go.

Don't see why, I've never encountered any difference by switching them on and off. Turbo is a different story, not power-saving features aren't an issue.

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It doesn't. Clocks when doing nothing aren't relevant, and clocks under load are unaffected by them.

Don't see why, I've never encountered any difference by switching them on and off. Turbo is a different story, not power-saving features aren't an issue.

Power saving can impact performance if they kick in when they shouldn't. Gaming doesn't really put CPU at 100% load all the time. Altough I don't think they could have caused:

34 minutes ago, Mr. Billy said:

(290 fps in csgo to 90-100 fps)

I still thought it would be good to get a clean read before going any further. Perhaps he did a blck overclock on an unlocked chip? Actually saw this one before.

1 minute ago, Verrierr said:

I still thought it would be good to get a clean read before going any further. Perhaps he did a blck overclock on an unlocked chip? Actually saw this one before.

Certainly, he would need to find the cause of the drop by monitoring the same variables while gaming. It could simply be throttling. The CPU is unlocked, by I don't know if he changed the multiplier or the base clock.

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Certainly, he would need to find the cause of the drop by monitoring the same variables while gaming. It could simply be throttling. The CPU is unlocked, by I don't know if he changed the multiplier or the base clock.

Mine with only a multiplier increase,all power saving features off.

8350 cpu z.jpg

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

5 minutes ago, Earnhardt said:

Mine with only a multiplier increase,all power saving features off.

Congratulations. But if you turn them on, you'll save a little power and lose nothing :P 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But if you turn them on, you'll save a little power and lose nothing

You also gain longevity of the chip.  But there is a delay when clocking up the CPU as well, as well as a throttle over long periods of time that can come as hick-ups.  Unless you're doing rendering, which is the only situation I've personally encountered where the hick-ups can actually cause issues, then the point is moot. 

The VRM throttling is random...

Will happen at any load.. it triggers at a certain tempereture.

Aim another fan at your vrms or finetune or remove your overclock.

It should not declock under load WITH power savings enabled either.

I bet its vrm throttling and when it hits the limit.. 1.4ghz cpu speeds for a second or two.. the temp drops.. back to normal until the temp gets hit again.

Monitor VRMS.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

23 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Congratulations. But if you turn them on, you'll save a little power and lose nothing :P 

Naa,If I was worried about a few pennies in power I woulda just bought a console :) 

On 3/7/2017 at 7:49 PM, Mr. Billy said:

My specs:

Amd Fx 8350

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

MSI 1060 3GB

Data.CSV

First thing is get a board with 8+2 Power Phase because 4+1 is not recommended for the FX 83XX series and definitely not to OC at all. Find a good 990 chipset board which usually starts around $100 for a solid one. (I recommend Asus)

Make sure your power save functions are off in the Bios because those will mess with it hard, even when you need the performance. Overdrive is annoying as hell and any decent board will allow you to do it in Bios. Most guides will tell you what features to turn off with this. I personally have experience with an Asus M5A99X Evo and there are many Asus boards with an identical Bios. I can provide a guide for this if you want. Even if the Bios looks different but is the same board manufacturer, the names of settings should be the same.

Also before you do anything else, make sure you look into what you're doing well before changing settings. 4.5GHZ won't provide a substantial boost in games and 4.1GHZ will do practically nothing over the 4.0GHZ stock speed.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

On 3/7/2017 at 11:08 PM, Earnhardt said:

would you rather have him hit 5.5 ghz on his first time overclocking and frying his cpu? 

11 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Actually even 6+2 is fine if its quality ones, the Asus m5a99x you mentioned has a 6+2 power phase design. To some extent you can even get away with 4+2 if they are good quality vrm's and you dont overclock to high, like more then 4.4 ghz. Also you don't need one with the 990fx chipset, the 970fx one is fine, like the asus 970 gaming aura. But i do agree that asus is the best pick for getting the most out of AMD.

I was looking at getting a Gaming Aura for a new board but decided not to because I was planning on upgrading my system completely. I did recommend an 8+2 Power phase and 990 chipset simply because that combination is the most solid as far as boards go for getting one to OC well and not have issues. Usually if the manufacturer has put a 990 chipset on it, the board has a better VRM cooling solution on it than some 970 ones though the Gaming Aura is around the $100 price range and is really solid like you mentioned. Never had much luck with other boards myself for AMD chips. As for the Gaming Aura, I think Asus would have put a 990 chipset on it if there was a point this late in the game to do so but it wasn't going to be long until Ryzen came out. Seems they wanted to offer a little bit of a bonus feature to those that may get the FX cpus for cheap or maybe getting into the PC world by offering M.2 and RGB lighting on an older system or maybe if someone wanted to get away from the oh so popular blue/black combo so many Asus boards have for the 970 and 990 chipsets. Couldn't find an equivalent for the older Intel CPUs from them but they have one for Skylake. Also I can't think of a 990 board that doesn't have at least 6+2 power phases and is anywhere under $100 new, even older ones but I do know most are 8+2.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe