Features you would like in an mp3 software player?

Hello,

I'm currently developing an MP3 player software (called tornado player).

I've decided to rebuild the software, working, this time around, on many new, interesting and convenient features.

I would appreciate it if you guys could provide some ideas that could be included - things you've always wanted, things that some playback software are lacking, or things that should be included in such software but you've never seen it.

My current list of features is as follows:

- 'Play' checkbox - choose songs to be played/skipped in a playlist

- 'Favourite' check box

- Watch folders - folders where adding/removing mp3 files directly affects the playlist in the same manner

- Multiple playlists

- Playback resumption - whenever you relaunch the application, playback resumes from the exact playlilst, exact song, at the exact time (minus 3 seconds, for convenience)

- Shuffle and order

- Revert history - a list of songs reverted by the user and the ability to go back to the song at the time when it was changed

- Times played

- Time until song (in a playlist, the time left until you reach a certain song

- Loop

- Change speed

- Youtube Downloader and format conversion

Thanks for the help :)

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Just look at the UX/UI of the Spotify player. They spend a lot of money on research into these things, no point reinventing the wheel. Plus familiarity is a good thing, your angle should be to focus on value add things that dont come as standard

• Switch column to left or right depending on user preference
  • Alter colours (maybe custom image)
  • A good mini EQ if you can?
  • Ability to sync playlists between computers/devices
  • Ability to remotely control the player
  • Sense audio output from other apps so when you play a youtube video or something else the mp3 pauses.

Just off the top of my head.

21 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

I would avoid doing this because it can get you into legal trouble.

Otherwise since it's not explicitly mentioned:

• Search feature, either in playlist or music library.
  • Shuffle within album
    • If you have a playlist with multiple albums, instead of playing any track in the play list randomly, you play by album, but shuffle the tracks within it.
  • When you do a shuffle on a playlist, reorder the songs in shown in the playlist to the shuffled order rather than keep it in playlist order.

There was also a feature I've been pondering, but was questioning its practicality: an algorithm that tracks not only how many times you've listened to a song, but how long you've listened to it each time. Sometimes, even though one has a favorite's playlist, people skip the track because they've heard it already for the hundredth time. So if it's a track you constantly skip, it could give some bias to the way the playback shuffler picks it.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I would avoid doing this because it can get you into legal trouble.

Otherwise since it's not explicitly mentioned:

• Search feature, either in playlist or music library.
  • Shuffle within album
    • If you have a playlist with multiple albums, instead of playing any track in the play list randomly, you play by album, but shuffle the tracks within it.
  • When you do a shuffle on a playlist, reorder the songs in shown in the playlist to the shuffled order rather than keep it in playlist order.

There was also a feature I've been pondering, but was questioning its practicality: an algorithm that tracks not only how many times you've listened to a song, but how long you've listened to it each time. Sometimes, even though one has a favorite's playlist, people skip the track because they've heard it already for the hundredth time. So if it's a track you constantly skip, it could give some bias to the way the playback shuffler picks it.

Its amazing how Apple has gone backwards in this regard. I remember on my iPod, it would keep track of the total number of times a song was played on the device and when connected to iTunes. With my iPhone, it just keeps track of the number of times it was played through iTunes. Like wtf?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Hey,

It would also be nice if you could include an Eq as it has been removed from Spotify as well as android I believe at the moment. Another thing you could include could be a way to auto add all the songs in something like a YouTube playlist or a Spotify playlist to it, possibly listening offline so the songs are downloaded to the apps would be nice as well. If you did have multiple device support I would find that useful however make sure all of the features apply to all versions as Spotify doesn't do this and it is quite annoying.

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Hello,

I'm currently developing an MP3 player software (called tornado player).

I've decided to rebuild the software, working, this time around, on many new, interesting and convenient features.

I would appreciate it if you guys could provide some ideas that could be included - things you've always wanted, things that some playback software are lacking, or things that should be included in such software but you've never seen it.

My current list of features is as follows:

- 'Play' checkbox - choose songs to be played/skipped in a playlist

- 'Favourite' check box

- Watch folders - folders where adding/removing mp3 files directly affects the playlist in the same manner

- Multiple playlists

- Playback resumption - whenever you relaunch the application, playback resumes from the exact playlilst, exact song, at the exact time (minus 3 seconds, for convenience)

- Shuffle and order

- Revert history - a list of songs reverted by the user and the ability to go back to the song at the time when it was changed

- Times played

- Time until song (in a playlist, the time left until you reach a certain song

- Loop

- Change speed

Thanks for the help :)

One other feature could also be a Skin/Theme framework where people could go to town with customising the look this would get the community involved and could even lead to sponsored skins for games etc. So like an Overwatch skin blah blah blah