windows killed itself

Go to solution Solved by biotoxin,
6 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

wait, i didn't say that.....

THAT IS LIES, BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE INTO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!1!11!1!1!!1!!11!!1

Yeah working from phone didn't notice I goofed that part

In positive news I managed to get a "clean boot" by disabling everything not Microsoft and all startups, I'm  back in main windows so party at my house tonight 

First to mention is my other dead system situation is unrelated if you see multiple dead system topics from me... well all my systems died on the same day

Story Time!!!

my asus mobo has put me on an emotional rollercoaster as cpu red LED's are everywhere and after infuriating me to no end it turns out it was a fan header that wiggled itself loose and stopped the whole system from posting, I was more angry at the solution than I was at the problem no joke

My current situation though precedes the story though as I was installing a new gpu, and windows 10x64 being the bane that it is decided to update the drivers itself instead of waiting 2 seconds for me to do it, something went wrong in the automated process and the drivers borked and now the system won't finish booting instead getting a bsod of "system thread exception not handled" or something to that extent with no indication of what's causing that thread exception like a filename. I put back the old gpu and that didn't fix it at all. So I grab the boot recovery drive I had the forethought to make thinking "oh I'll just restore from the full system image I just made" only to find the drive is efi and the image was apparently made in bios for some stupid reason and of course you can't restore an image from different firmware.

so here I am in linux trying to figure out if I can remove windows drivers manually and try to get back at it somehow

my only other remaining option is maybe to try and "reset" system and then try to restore from that somehow??? but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it

bonus points if you can tell me how to make a bios based windows recovery drive from linux

but you can name my firstborn if you can fix this situation

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

worth noting is the system won't record when I try bootlogger

and it won't get into safemode either not even just command prompt, I can barely get to recovery

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

sounds like you got some gremlins, probably shouldn't have fed that thing after midnight, kill with fire. But seriously, that sounds rough...that's about the point I'd figure it's too much of a hassle to fix, just give up and do a clean install. When you say you can't get to the cmd prompt, have you tried a usb with windows 10 media install to get to cmd prompt? That's the only thing I can think of short of reset or reinstall

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

yes I've tried bcdedit and bootmenupolicy

I've done various kinds of sfc /scannow

and other basic windows repair functions like chkdsk etc

sfc in particular says nothing is wrong though and boot repair doesn't help

in trying to restore previous restore points I get an error that they fail

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

sounds like you got some gremlins, probably shouldn't have fed that thing after midnight, kill with fire. But seriously, that sounds rough...that's about the point I'd figure it's too much of a hassle to fix, just give up and do a clean install. When you say you can't get to the cmd prompt, have you tried a usb with windows 10 media install to get to cmd prompt? That's the only thing I can think of short of reset or reinstall

I can't get safe mode command prompt

I can get a prompt from the bootable usb recovery environment, but thus far it hasn't helped though I'm always down for running more tests

Spoiler

0_0

ummm...

the only way to fix this is to do a clean install of the opereating system

back up your files.......

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Just now, samiscool51 said:

0_0

ummm...

the only way to fix this is to do a clean install of the opereating system

back up your files.......

I'm thinking more and more that's probably the answer

what kills me is that I did a full system image right before this, so I have one ready to go

I just can't use it for some stupid reason

Spoiler

1 minute ago, biotoxin said:

I'm thinking more and more that's probably the answer

what kills me is that I did a full system image right before this, so I have one ready to go

I just can't use it for some stupid reason

what i have learnt from working with windows is

if core files are corrupted and repairing the from the command prompt isn't working

the only way to fix it is a clean install

this-windows-10-joke-just-won-the-intern

if you count the versions, 7 is the 10th (official) version of windows, and windows 10 is the 12th one

so should it be called windows 12?

1 hour ago, samiscool51 said:

what i have learnt from working with windows is

if core files are corrupted and repairing the from the command prompt isn't working

the only way to fix it is a clean install

this-windows-10-joke-just-won-the-intern

if you count the versions, 7 is the 10th (official) version of windows, and windows 10 is the 12th one

so should it be called windows 12?

what if I hook up a spare drive

install  windows on it

then create a new boot disk that's in bios not efi

then swap back drives

boot from disk and recover image to drives?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

what if I hook up a spare drive

install  windows on it

then create a new boot disk that's in bios not efi

then swap back drives

boot from disk and recover image to drives?

from i can understand from your post

1. install windows on a different drive then make a new boot disk thats in EFI mode then swap the disks back and try and boot from your current windows install

that would be a lot of work and wouldn't work

it's easier to install a newer version of windows, plus your key is kept so you don't have to pay for another version

Just now, samiscool51 said:

from i can understand from your post

1. install windows on a different drive then make a new boot disk thats in EFI mode then swap the disks back and try and boot from your current windows install

that would be a lot of work and wouldn't work

it's easier to install a newer version of windows, plus your key is kept so you don't have to pay for another version

not concerned about paying for versions

I just don't want to spend days setting it back up the way I like it

I had a lot of things installed...

not to mention little customizations

all those perfect app settings

you know the frustration I know you do, and quite honestly I setup new systems enough that I do have it down to a mindless habit, but getting things just right after setup takes time

Spoiler

I'm going to go try things, I'll update tomorrow hopefully

unless mobo decides to die again

then I'll update next time I fix it

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

not concerned about paying for versions

I just don't want to spend days setting it back up the way I like it

I had a lot of things installed...

not to mention little customizations

all those perfect app settings

you know the frustration I know you do, and quite honestly I setup new systems enough that I do have it down to a mindless habit, but getting things just right after setup takes time

i get your reasoning, but this is the only way to fix as other methods that you have tried have failed

sorry dude, nothing you can do expect wipe and start again

it's annoying yes, but it's the only way

3 hours ago, biotoxin said:

you know the frustration I know you do

I had to do a clean install on my system after a few months use, made it quick by downloading all the installers and drivers I needed so I could do as much as possible before putting it online, it was annoying but it was the only thing that worked for my issue (system corruption lol). Best of luck 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Today's update at last minute is that I got a debug file finally, traced it back to USB not graphics, deleted the driver file which allows me to get into safe mode finally, but now instead of crashing to a bsod it just restarts straight to black screen and reboot 

Now if only I can get it that extra step 

Any suggestions on fixing from safe mode? 

Also AMD software won't finish Uninstalling itself because I figure just in case right??? 

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Cyracus said:

I had to do a clean install on my system after a few months use, made it quick by downloading all the installers and drivers I needed so I could do as much as possible before putting it online, it was annoying but it was the only thing that worked for my issue (system corruption lol). Best of luck 

On 3/2/2017 at 10:37 PM, samiscool51 said:

i get your reasoning, but this is the only way to fix as other methods that you have tried have failed

sorry dude, nothing you can do expect wipe and start again

it's annoying yes, but it's the only way

You'll both be happy to see I've made progress 

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, biotoxin said:

You'll both be happy to see I've made progress 

the-real-progress-bar_o_1948845.jpg

New dump driver power state failure, no associated driver 

I can only imagine why... 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

Know how to do an in place upgrade while not in main windows?? 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, biotoxin said:
5 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

Know how to do an in place upgrade while not in main windows?? 

THAT IS LIES, BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE INTO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!1!11!1!1!!1!!11!!1

6 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

Yeah working from phone didn't notice I goofed that part

In positive news I managed to get a "clean boot" by disabling everything not Microsoft and all startups, I'm  back in main windows so party at my house tonight 

Spoiler