New Laptop Wireless Card

patric_o

I'm about to order a new laptop for on the go gaming as well as a bring anywhere around the house machine. It has to options for the wireless network card and I honestly don't know anything about these things.

Here are my two options:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

What are your thoughts on the two and which is the better choice? The price difference ($15) in the two models is minor compared to how much I'm already paying for the laptop so that is not a factor. I do tend to use a few Bluetooth devices at the same time such as headphones constantly and a controller every now and then for certain games but I do not believe this is an important factor but I could be wrong. I also am lucky enough to have a great fiber-optic connection at my home so I would like to take full advantage of that when I need to unplug from my desk and move about the house.

3 minutes ago, patric_o said:

I'm about to order a new laptop for on the go gaming as well as a bring anywhere around the house machine. It has to options for the wireless network card and I honestly don't know anything about these things.

Here are my two options:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

What are your thoughts on the two and which is the better choice? The price difference ($15) in the two models is minor compared to how much I'm already paying for the laptop so that is not a factor. I do tend to use a few Bluetooth devices at the same time such as headphones constantly and a controller every now and then for certain games but I do not believe this is an important factor but I could be wrong. I also am lucky enough to have a great fiber-optic connection at my home so I would like to take full advantage of that when I need to unplug from my desk and move about the house.

I would recommend the intel over the killer for reliability. However, make sure your laptop has no BIOS wifi whitelist. Some OEM brands like HP and Lenovo lock the BIOS to only accept specific wifi cards. The PC wouldn't boot if it detects any others. 

11 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

I would recommend the intel over the killer for reliability. 

Is there no real performance difference in the two?

8 minutes ago, patric_o said:

Is there no real performance difference in the two?

Based on my personal experience between the two, I haven't noticed any difference in terms of performance. Mainly because of the inherent latency of wireless networks. 

Killer networking prides itself in having less latency than other brands but if you care about 5 ms of latency, you wouldn't use wireless in the first place. 

14 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

I would recommend the intel over the killer for reliability.

How bad is the reliability issue?