Web Development

ShatteredPsycho

Hello everyone,

I've been studying computer engineering for a while and I've recently taken an interest in web development so I would like to know what are your thoughts on must haves on languages (guessing javascript and some other) and if there are any good free online courses or series of videos to learn it

Thanks

For client side the language to start with is JavaScript, however when it comes to server side development you have plenty of options. Pretty much every language has a web framework these days. So one option is to learn one of the popular options for a language you already know (if you know any at all).

I would say that the most popular server side web languages these days are (in no particular order)

• JavaScript
  • PHP
  • Ruby
  • Python
  • Java
  • C#

But again, you have plenty of other options.

Do you have any goals in learning web development (ex: landing a job, completing a project, etc) or do you just want to learn it for something to do?

1 minute ago, madknight3 said:

For client side JavaScript, however when it comes to server side development you have plenty of options. Pretty much every language has a web framework these days. So one option is to learn one of the popular options for a language you already know (if you know any at all).

I would say that the most popular web languages these days are (in no particular order)

• JavaScript
  • PHP
  • Ruby
  • Python
  • Java
  • C#

But again, you have plenty of options.

Thanks for the response,

I know Java and python, probably sticking to those. Guess python might come in handy for scripting and such

22 minutes ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

Thanks for the response,

I know Java and python, probably sticking to those. Guess python might come in handy for scripting and such

python has Django framework for web development but I've never used it. I have always stuck to html,JavaScript (angularJS) for the front end and php for the back. This is mostly due to how widely php is support on hosting services.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Php is a dominant language when it comes to web development, always good to try it out and get some knowledge of it. And Javascript isnt a server side language i thing he meant Node.js which makes use of javascript but runs on the server only. Its great for apps that needs realtime updating like a message / chat system

There are plenty of tools to learn before learning a framework tho there are a few good videos out there

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

You will need JavaScript for frontend, you can also use it for backend. It's fast and easy write also the most transparent thanks to modularity of CommonJS

22 hours ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

Hello everyone,

I've been studying computer engineering for a while and I've recently taken an interest in web development so I would like to know what are your thoughts on must haves on languages (guessing javascript and some other) and if there are any good free online courses or series of videos to learn it

Thanks

For javascript, if you know about programming and such already, I'd start with the basics on http://codecademy.com, and then learn some more advanced features from http://javascript30.com:)

7 minutes ago, mikat said:

because it's the only scripting language that all browsers can parse?

Why do you think every frontend has to have scripts of any sort?

Write in C.

And once again you dont have to know javascript but it is recommended you do since if you want to get serious enough people will ask for it.

Also it help with getting into frameworks and libraries easier.

I managed without touching javascript once but it brings some nice touching features.

I'd suggest you look if you are more interessted in back-end or front-end and with getting to know a bit of everything and then dive into the section you really like. Could be both (Fullstack) or it could be just back or front-end

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

On 2017-02-28 at 11:17 PM, Cruorzy said:

Php is a dominant language when it comes to web development, always good to try it out and get some knowledge of it. And Javascript isnt a server side language i thing he meant Node.js which makes use of javascript but runs on the server only. Its great for apps that needs realtime updating like a message / chat system

There are plenty of tools to learn before learning a framework tho there are a few good videos out there

Node.js IS javascript as the .js implies. And besides node, javascript has been a server side language for a really long time

microsoft active server pages (asp) before the .net era could use javascript or visual basic as the scripts for the server side.

1 hour ago, SpaceNugget said:

microsoft active server pages (asp) before the .net era could use javascript or visual basic as the scripts for the server side.

To be precise, it was JScript, Microsoft's own approach to ECMAScript long before today's standards.

Write in C.

On 1-3-2017 at 4:38 PM, Dat Guy said:

Not true either. 

Every single site that has either google analytics, cloudflare, has javascript, so that's already a pretty substantial chunk of all the websites on the internet, and there are many more reasons for using javascript. There are few websites that don't load any javascript at all :)

15 minutes ago, mikat said:

Every single site that has either google analytics, cloudflare, has javascript,

Yes, but those are not the vast majority.

Write in C.

11 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

No.

Yes and no, for google analytics you need this script:

<!-- Google Analytics -->
<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXX-Y', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>
<!-- End Google Analytics -->

but cloudflare injects only cloudflare.min.js into any site that goes through cloudflare that has rocket loader (faster async javascript loader) enabled, my bad :)

I thought it did it to all cloudflare sites since it injected cloudflare.min.js to many of the sites i visited :)

14 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Yes, but those are not the vast majority.

https://trends.builtwith.com/docinfo/Javascript

The vast majority of sites that actually attract users have javascript, but since there are a lot of old sites that hung around, the overall statistic is low (34%)

Note that all of your users are no-JS users while your scripts are loading - and nobody can guarantee that nothing happens while they do.

Write in C.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:17 AM, Cruorzy said:

Node is an implementation of JS, still JS.

On 1/3/2017 at 4:34 PM, Dat Guy said:

Why do you think every frontend has to have scripts of any sort?

Umm, because it's 2017 and sites use JS for their functionality? Which gives lots of opportunities.

"It's 2017" so people should lower their security barriers to read some text? No, thank you.

Write in C.

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

"It's 2017" so people should lower their security barriers to read some text? No, thank you.

That implies that all people do is read text. See Also: Web Apps

Maybe 15 years ago using JS would having been lowering security barriers, but any browser worth a damn has patched out the security vulnerabilities that made things like NoScript popular back in the day. If you're really that paranoid about malicious JS, the problem is probably your browsing habits, not JS.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

In my opinion, "web apps" are just wrong. A browser is not an operating system and it really should not have to try.

Please also note that most recent waves of malware were only possible through malicious Javascript, including theoretical hacks like "Rowhammer" and breaking your ASLR. If you really think Javascript has become safer over the past few years, your computer is probably already infected.

Write in C.