What do you guys think of downsampling?

Chivpcgamer

Heres an article I read:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

The reason im interested is that I think the 200% supersample or whatever it is on bf4 is fantastic on my 1920x1200 monitor

Im not sure that downsampling is the same is this supersampling but it must be similar

So is this a good idea? does it work?

If not is there any better way of applying a bf4 similar sharp sampling onto my games?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Sounds like a load of crap just like all "pro" youtubers downsample to 720p

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Down sampling is just another way to say super sampling. They are the same thing basically. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well isn't downsampling what Linus does when he does a video?

He shoots it in about 2k or so but when they edit and render it out, it's at 1080p.

And because of this, a native 1080p camera won't look as good as a higher res camera that has been re-sized down to 1080p.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Yes, it is the same thing.

You can try forcing SSAA on some games in the drivers (Super Sampling Anti Aliasing), but it will stress your GPU lots.

I need more SSDs.

He shoots it in about 2k or so but when they edit and render it out, it's at 1080p.

And because of this, a native 1080p camera won't look as good as a higher res camera that has been re-sized down to 1080p.

Its confusing because this guy is basically saying you can run 2560x1440 on a 1080p monitor, which would surely be up-sampling..

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

You can try forcing SSAA on some games in the drivers (Super Sampling Anti Aliasing), but it will stress your GPU lots.

Ive used SSAA in Nvidia 3d setting a lot and it doesn't seem to really do anything, unless im doing something wrong..

Most films are downsampled aren't they? Shot in 2K/4K then rendered in 1080p

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Its confusing because this guy is basically saying you can run 2560x1440 on a 1080p monitor, which would surely be up-sampling..

oh true... i get confused which ones which lol.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Hmm?

Downsampling = Scaling a high res image down to a lower res display

Supersampling = Rendering a higher resolution image than necessary in order to then downsample it.

So they're technically not the same thing, but supersampling involves downsampling, if that makes sense.

I need more SSDs.

Hmm?

Downsampling = Scaling a high res image down to a lower res display

Supersampling = Rendering a higher resolution image than necessary in order to then downsample it.

So they're technically not the same thing, but supersampling involves downsampling, if that makes sense.

They are the same thing with two different names. 

I don't see any difference at all. You just said the same thing in two different ways.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

its pretty great, shame it doesn't work on AMD drivers anymore :(

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I don't see any difference at all. You just said the same thing in two different ways.

Well there is a difference, but you can use them interchangeably for the most part.

Downsampling = can be used to describe any image that has its resolution scaled down. For example if I take a 1920x1080 image and then scale it down to 1280x720, I have downsampled it.

Supersampling = creating a bigger image than you want, and then downsampling it before displaying it. For example if I want a 1280x720 image and I got a vector file. If I first render the image at 1920x1080, just to then downsample it to 1280x720 then I have used supersampling.

Downsampling is more generic while supersampling is used specifically when you create the file from scratch, and downsample it right after. At least as far as I know.

Well there is a difference, but you can use them interchangeably for the most part.

Downsampling = can be used to describe any image that has its resolution scaled down. For example if I take a 1920x1080 image and then scale it down to 1280x720, I have downsampled it.

Supersampling = creating a bigger image than you want, and then downsampling it before displaying it. For example if I want a 1280x720 image and I got a vector file. If I first render the image at 1920x1080, just to then downsample it to 1280x720 then I have used supersampling.

Downsampling is more generic while supersampling is used specifically when you create the file from scratch, and downsample it right after. At least as far as I know.

I think the difference is in the purpose of why you did it.

Downsampling is simply because you have to. Such as if you have a 720p TV but a 1080p video. You have to down sample it to actually view it.

Super sampling is for the purpose of better clarity (such as the properties the image attains that is very similar to AA). 

But effectively, they are the exact same thing. You just use a different word depending on why you do it.

† Christian Member †

The difference is downsampling you already have the high res content (can be movies, photos, graphics), so you have to downsample, while supersampling is rendering at a higher than needed resolution on purpose, for the purpose of downsampling to increase quality.

You can't supersample a photograph, because you already took it at a specificed resolution, while you can supersample a game because you can choose to render it at a higher res on purpose.

I need more SSDs.

I can imagine it would stress your gpu hardcore and if you are running eyefinity in any way (multiple monitors maybe not in a group),

that it would probably cause a good deal of chaos.

Now that being said the techie in me wants to try this really bad, but with 13.11 drivers it won't work. I will try it in the future.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q