Intel Responds To Ryzen With Price Cuts, But is it Enough?

Source: http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966995,4294964566/Intel-Processors

Over at Microcenter the prices of many Intel CPUs seem to have been cut a bit, most likely because of Ryzen, but if you ask me, it doesn't seem to be enough. Why? Let me show you:

1. i7 6950x
    • Original price: $1899.99
    • New price: $1599.99
  2. i7 6900k
    • Original price: $1199.99
    • New price: $999.99
  3. i7 6850k
    • Original price: $699.99
    • New price: $549.99
  4. i7 6800k
    • Original price: $499.99
    • New price: $359.99
  5. i7 5820k
    • Original price: $419.99
    • New price $319.99
  6. i7 7700k
    • Original price: $379.99
    • New price: $299.99
  7. i7 6700k
    • Original price: $399.99
    • New price: $259.99
  8. i5 7600k
    • Original price: $269.99
    • New price: $199.99
  9. i5 6600k
    • Original price: $269.99
    • New price: $179.99

Now some of these price cuts won't be super noticeable; the new prices for the 6950x, 6900k, 6850k, and maybe the 6800k aren't that large, especially considering the prices of Ryzen CPUs, but some of the others are kinda noticeable. The 6700k is now around the same price that an i5 7600k would cost you and the 6600k now costs the same as the 7350k would've cost you. However, I still don't believe these are enough for Intel. The 1800x is very similar in performance to the 6900k yet it's still exactly half the price (fine, it's half a cent under half the price of the 6900k, does it really matter?). The 6850k is still more expensive than the obviously better 1800x, and the 6800k is still slightly more than the better 1700 and the 5820k is only barely under the 1700. The quad core i7s and i5s might be a good deal, but once the AMD Ryzen 5 SKUs launch they'll be in trouble.

While these price cuts might make some of Intel's CPUs attractive, for the most part I think Ryzen still has stole all the thunder. I imagine that once Ryzen launches and goes on sale Intel will have to react much more strongly, at the very least with its HEDT CPUs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

those are most likely MicroCenter discounts and not Intel retail chain discounts

agree here, i dont see why discounts on microcenter suddenly mean that intel is dunking prices.

if anything, this is microcenter trying to get rid of inventory before zen *actually* launches.

the 6700k priced at 260 usd sounds like a steal to me. the competition to that price range doesn't come out until later so i could see people buying the 6700k just because you don't have to wait and its a really good cpu for gaming. 

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

snip

I see these prices at our local Microcenter all the time. We just had a sale a couple weeks ago with the exact same prices (still have the email to prove it). The only difference is that the 6700k was $280, not $260, but the rest were the same prices. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

It's a start. This is exactly what I wanted to see from Ryzen, competition that pushes down prices.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

It's a start. This is exactly what I wanted to see from Ryzen, competition that pushes down prices.

not real mate. Just basic microcenter discounts for in-store pickup only :( they do this shit all the time

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

Retailers set their own prices, not Intel; title should be changed to reflect that this is a retailer offering discounts, not Intel slashing MSRP.

I'm not really sure this qualifies as tech news at all though, may be better in the Deals section.

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

those are most likely MicroCenter discounts and not Intel retail chain discounts

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

agree here, i dont see why discounts on microcenter suddenly mean that intel is dunking prices.

if anything, this is microcenter trying to get rid of inventory before zen *actually* launches.

7 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I see these prices at our local Microcenter all the time. We just had a sale a couple weeks ago with the exact same prices (still have the email to prove it). The only difference is that the 6700k was $280, not $260, but the rest were the same prices. 

4 minutes ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

not real mate. Just basic microcenter discounts for in-store pickup only :( they do this shit all the time

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Retailers set their own prices, not Intel; title should be changed to reflect that this is a retailer offering discounts, not Intel slashing MSRP.

My bad, I was not aware. Screw you, WCCFTech :D.

If so, I don't see much point in this article. Please remove it. And thanks :).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb