Can I install a cracked version of win10 on a laptop that already came with it?

Grx

Hey there!

Windows 10's updates are really annoying and I would like to get rid of them, so I was wondering if installing a cracked version of windows would do the trick.

Thing is, the laptop that I have already came with windows 10, so from what I understand, the key is in the bios. Is that wrong? If so, can I just uninstall win 10 and install the cracked version?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

At the LTT forum, we do not talk about piracy. This thread will be locked shortly.

Is it piracy if I own a key?

Really?

It's not my fault that they provide a worse product than their pirated counterpart...

Do not talk about cracked programs on LTT forum.

And no, that's bad idea. If you don't want updates, you can turn them off. But why would you do that? Those updates are there to help you.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Do not talk about cracked programs on LTT forum.

And no, that's bad idea. If you don't want updates, you can turn them off. But why would you do that? Those updates are there to help you.

I didn't know you could turn them off, how do I do that?

I know they're useful, but they can come at the worst time and since I'll be participating in a 24h gamejam, I don't want to be just sitting there waiting for my windows to update...

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

...but not restart (it can't force you)

How do you stop it from restarting?

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

...get a license cheap off Reddit

I already have a consumer licence, did you mean a pro licence?

23 minutes ago, Grx said:

Hey there!

Windows 10's updates are really annoying and I would like to get rid of them, so I was wondering if installing a cracked version of windows would do the trick.

Thing is, the laptop that I have already came with windows 10, so from what I understand, the key is in the bios. Is that wrong? If so, can I just uninstall win 10 and install the cracked version?

Thanks!

no it wouldn't stop the updates.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

20 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

At the LTT forum, we do not talk about piracy. This thread will be locked shortly.

mods are asleep, post nintendo roms!

My native language is C++

7 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

no it wouldn't stop the updates.

It would still update on a cracked version?

1 minute ago, Grx said:

It would still update on a cracked version?

windows will always update. You could add windows update server ip to your hosts file and point it back to local host. That would also totally do the trick.

Cant you just click defer feature updates

1. Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

You could add windows update server ip to your hosts file and point it back to local host. That would also totally do the trick.

How do I do that? (I'm a total noob at this kind of stuff =D)

2 minutes ago, Stoggy26 said:

Cant you just click defer feature updates

What's that?

2 minutes ago, GreenZombie said:

Why Windows. Start with easier life, and switch to Linux !!! B|

Not going to do it before a competition, but I'll keep it in mind =D

Click in the bottom right>all settings >update and security>advanced options>defer feature updates

2 minutes ago, GreenZombie said:

Why Windows. Start with easier life, and switch to Linux !!! B|

lack of games mostly or me, I ran mint for a long time but went back to windows because it had a few features I wanted.

like not locking my second hard drive out from a second user and storage pools are awesome.

15 minutes ago, Grx said:

How do I do that? (I'm a total noob at this kind of stuff =D)

open notepad as an admin and open your hosts file and add

127.0.0.1 http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 http://*.update.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 https://*.update.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 http://*.windowsupdate.com

127.0.0.1 http://download.windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 http://download.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 http://*.download.windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 http://wustat.windows.com
127.0.0.1 http://ntservicepack.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 http://stats.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 https://stats.microsoft.com

that's the address I found on the internet I can't be 100% sure that is all of them. I believe some anti privacy tools for Windows ten allow the blocking of updates.

Sorry for the late replies...

1 hour ago, Stoggy26 said:

Click in the bottom right>all settings >update and security>advanced options>defer feature updates

I didn't find it...

I attached an image if it helps

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

open notepad as an admin and open your hosts file and add

Great, thank you!

Windows Update.png

1 hour ago, Grx said:

Sorry for the late replies...

I didn't find it...

I attached an image if it helps

Great, thank you!

Windows Update.png

Windows 10 home doesn't have the defer update function but for some reason I got it on windows 10 single language. Microsoft usually releases updates on patch Tuesday and some of the updates may require a restart 

I have this amazing idea.. instead of getting a nice cracked version of Windows off the web with most likely built-in undetectable rootkit and or viruses as they are baked in, and yes, it is a problem for those who don't get legit Windows. How about you set Windows 10 properly? I know, amazing!

- Under the Settings panels: Start > Setting (gear icon) > Update & Security > Windows Update, you can set what is called "Active Hours", you define a zone where you don't want Windows Update kick-in the installation of updates.

- Under Security and Maintenance panel, you can set the schedule time for Windows maintenance process. Just search for Maintenance  in the search box, and pick "Security and Maintenance", a panel will open. In it, expand "Maintenance", and you'll notice a blue link inside called "Change maintenance settings". From there, you can pick a time where you want it to install.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have this amazing idea.. instead of getting a nice version of Windows off the web with built-in uundetectable rootkit and or viruses as they are baked in.

How about you set Windows 10 properly? I know, amazing!

- Under the Settings panels: Start > Setting (gear icon) > Update & Security > Windows Update, you can set what is called "Active Hours", you define a zone where you don't want Windows Update kick-in the installation of updates.

- Under Security and Maintenance panel, you can set the schedule time for Windows maintenance process. Just search for Maintenance  in the search box, and pick "Security and Maintenance", a panel will open. In it, expand "Maintenance", and you'll notice a blue link inside called "Change maintenance settings". From there, you can pick a time where you want it to install.

Sadly active hours are limited to only 12h of the day, so it doesn't help if you want to keep your computer on 24/7.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

Don't install cracked versions of Windows. That's a huge security threat as they almost always have replaced/overlapped Microsoft's backdoor with their own.

29 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have this amazing idea.. instead of getting a nice cracked version of Windows off the web with most likely built-in undetectable rootkit and or viruses as they are baked in, and yes, it is a problem for those who don't get legit Windows. How about you set Windows 10 properly? I know, amazing!

Wow, what an amazing idea! Oh wait, it doesn't solve my problem at all!

4 hours ago, Grx said:

a 24h gamejam

Maybe next time be sarcastic after you've read my other comments...

32 minutes ago, aakopa said:

Sadly active hours are limited to only 12h of the day, so it doesn't help if you want to keep your computer on 24/7.

A secure system is more important than a system that runs 24/7. A <3min downtime in 24h is nothing. If you are running a server, then you need Windows Server or Linux based OS.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:30 AM, Grx said:

Hey there!

Thanks!

No, if you are caught with a cracked version Microsoft does not care if you have a legit key as well.

Its like this, you buy a tv and it works fine then someone gives you a stolen tv and  the police come to you and ask you why you have a stolen tv and you say well I paid for a legit tv, police reply well that is just great but you still have the stolen one in your possession and that is illegal. :| 

Illegal is illegal no matter how you sugar coat it.

Edited by SansVarnic
I cant type so I misspelled a few words.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 2/25/2017 at 10:54 AM, tt2468 said:

mods are asleep, post nintendo roms!

Fucking lol'd so hard, tnx

EDIT: On topic, i don't see the problem here, even if you get a cracked Windows it would still run updates plus it would be a potential security risk like others mentioned. Just download a fresh w10 ISO from MS by using your product key