Feed the Beast-Minecraft

RAM555789

Currently I am gaming a laptop with an i7-6700HQ, 8gb of RAM (or maybe 16gb I don't have the llaptop with me on at the moment) and a 960m.

I have been trying to play single player on the Direwolf20 1.7.10 pack but have been having my fps sitting around 14fps. I currently have the most up to date Java and Nvida drivers and I have 4gb (the recommened amount) of RAm allocated, dose anyone know why I may be getting such low fps?

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

"powerful nvidia graphics".

I laughed at this

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

go in nvidia drivers, and set the gpu preference thing to "powerful nvidia graphics".

Image result for nvidia high performance

Yeah  your laptop is probably still running Minecraft through integrated graphics.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I laughed at this

i should really put that to english at some point, it'd save me the laughs of bad translations :P

also, i'm used to a GT540m as my mobile option, "powerful" is quite a misnomer there :D

I remember the direwolf 1.7.10 pack being very slow across multiple gaming rigs. The 1.6.4 version works much faster. Try allocating more ram in the ftb launcher, and have task manager open while playing, then check your cpu&ram usage.

21 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Yeah  your laptop is probably still running Minecraft through integrated graphics.

I'm running Ark survival and Arma 3 at higher fps, is it because they have a feature that automatically acesses the GPU and it has to be done manually for Minecraft?

15 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

I remember the direwolf 1.7.10 pack being very slow across multiple gaming rigs. The 1.6.4 version works much faster. Try allocating more ram in the ftb launcher, and have task manager open while playing, then check your cpu&ram usage.

Its already is sitting at 4gb, and its not using all of it, and I have an i7-6700HQ so while yes its an HQ and is throttled back its still a great processor and plenty of people run this pack with no lag.

2 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

I'm running Ark survival and Arma 3 at higher fps, is it because they have a feature that automatically acesses the GPU and it has to be done manually for Minecraft?

Minecraft is ran by java I'm pretty sure... and in most cases java doesn't need/require a dedicated graphics card to run.

Arma and ark are both games that get recognized as an executable that first checks to see if there is a dedicated card. I doubt minecraft checks.

I think I may have figured it out. I allowed 4gb of RAM to be used which is recommened for the 1.10 and up packs, while 1.7.10 is best run with about 2.5. Giving it too much RAM is actually causing the fps the be slow, though I will confirm this when I get back to my barracks.

Otherwise check your render distance. If you're in a highly populated area with lots of machines running and pipes and items or mob farms it will drastically decrease fps.

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Otherwise check your render distance. If you're in a highly populated area with lots of machines running and pipes and items or mob farms it will drastically decrease fps.

Nope 12 chunks and its was like that through the whole first day, so its not a world generation issue.