Massive Networking Issue [Medium]

theguynamedwill

So, I was at my friend's house - a fairly large residence - when I walked into his laundry room and saw a literal cluster of routers tired together.

>wtf

Who in Gaben's name would network such a large property and not spread out the access points? I then decided to try and log into one of the routers to see if I could see how someone managed to set it all up. I connected, and attempted "10.0.0.1" into Chrome - no cigar. I then went into my network preferences and physically copied the router's address into Chrome - still never accessed. 

So, my questions to fix my friend's network: 

1. Aren't routers supposed to be placed strategically, not just all together in one room which is nowhere near the center of the building? 

2. Could all of the routers be stepping on one another's toes, causing the network to slow because of the heavy localized traffic due to all of them being next to one another? 

3. This may be quite incorrect, but: could I not log into the router because my browser couldn't decide which router to connect to due to there being a few to choose from?

3a. How would I log into the router since everything I tried hasn't worked? 

4. My friend's room is directly across the hallway from the cluster that operates 24/7, could that be a danger to one's health over time due to exessive electromagnetic radiation? 

I'd appreciate any assistance of any kind, so feel free to leave a reply. 

Thank You, all! 

Thanks for reading! 

1. The routers should be placed in access-point style mode with a single central router that hands out DHCP and does NAT, etc. to the internet.

2. It's easily possible with all of them grouped into a small area that they keep trying to adjust their signal (if they are capable of doing that) and they override each other. You want to have the APs spaced out enough so the signals overlap only a little bit and they all aren't on the same band.

3. If they all have the same gateway and same IP address you would need to fix them one at a time and give them their own management IP address.

4. That's not how wireless works, so no there is no harm.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I would suggest taking a picture of the clusterf*ck so we can see what hardware you actually use.

But to answer a few questions

1. Routers aren't always an access point. It's perfectly possible to have an access point that just give you a wireless connection and routers can do their job perfectly with wired connections only.

2. Yes that's possible, it's likely you have a broadcast storm going on which means all routers are just shouting at each other trying to discover new devices. Easiest way to spot this if the activity led's are flickering like a maniac.

3. Routers can work without an IP to log on to and if you want to log in one you should seperate it first and use a connection from your pc straight to the router, but then again it depends which ones you have because not every router handles initial connections the same.

4. No idea, but because being a network guy isn't classified as a riskful job because of radiation, it's probably fine :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

yes, the routers shuld be placed stratigicly

and yes, the electromagnetic radiation is unhealthy but as long is there is a door between the routers and your friends room i shuld not be very dangerous

Edited by azizi matan

A door will not stop radiation :P

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5