Adruino UNO as RGB controller?

Knight411

I have a few RGB strips I would like to all control from an arduino. Does anyone know the best way to do this?

I did a project recently using arduino and RGB strips, but the strips I used were adafruit neopixel strips that have their own library to use with arduino. So I'm not sure exactly how to translate it to standard RGB stuff.

These are the RGBs that we used: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1138

This is the project page on my website: https://www.jonathanbushnell.com/arduino-kinect

If you need any help looking for stuff, I can help. I can't work too much, but there should be a lot of tutorials on google that are just as useful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2017 at 3:26 AM, dylanplayswiththings said:

If you could post some pictures of your rgb strips, I might be able to help. It's best to know what kinds of LEDs are on the strip first. 

Led strip are ledstip? 4 connectors 1 to each color and power? 

If there aren't too many leds you might be able to run them directly the arduino with a resistor on the ground pin and using a digital write command to turn the 3 colors on and off and PWM for brightness or effects. If you have a long strip you may need to use a transistor or mosfet to switch the colors on and off to avoid frying the arduino with too much  current.

As long as you don't overvolt them it will be fine. If it uses a data pin then things get complicated.

15 hours ago, dylanplayswiththings said:

As long as you don't overvolt them it will be fine. If it uses a data pin then things get complicated.

Quite on the contrary, the pixels which contain an ASIC such as the WS281x series are much easier to control. they can be fed with 5V directly and you dont need any external components. @Knight411 You need transistors in order to control normal LED strips, you can use PWM in order to control the 3 individual LED color channels.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler