SSD in disk Drive slot?

I have a 3-year-old laptop which is slow bluescreens 3-4 times when I sign into it. I am planning to wipe it, upgrade the RAM and hopefully put an SSD in the disk drive slot?

You see my laptop has a slot in the side where I could put a disk drive in but instead, I want to put an SSD in its place so I can have a 500GB HHD and a 120GB SSD For OS.

Don't Disk drives run on SATA the same as SSD's? So this will Work?

4 minutes ago, A_Nerd said:

I have a 3-year-old laptop which is slow bluescreens 3-4 times when I sign into it. I am planning to wipe it, upgrade the RAM and hopefully put an SSD in the disk drive slot?

You see my laptop has a slot in the side where I could put a disk drive in but instead, I want to put an SSD in its place so I can have a 500GB HHD and a 120GB SSD For OS.

Don't Disk drives run on SATA the same as SSD's? So this will Work?

You'll need an adapter usually as they commonly use a mini sata connection, also I would check first to see what speeds your sata connection is as some are only SATA II so they will be a limiting factor if you put in an SSD. Even with that though you will see a big difference in speeds. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

You'll need an adapter usually as they commonly use a mini sata connection, also I would check first to see what speeds your sata connection is as some are only SATA II so they will be a limiting factor if you put in an SSD. Even with that though you will see a big difference in speeds. 

How would I check the SATA Speeds?

3 minutes ago, A_Nerd said:

How would I check the SATA Speeds?

Softwares like HW monitor and their analyse tool should say what connection speed the disk drive is hooked up at.

Will upgrading My RAM from 4GB to 8GB and putting an SSD in, improve the performance in games and boot time?

in boot time yes - in games when it comes to loading speed - but I guess the bottleneck will be either on CPU or GPU side here for sure

3 minutes ago, A_Nerd said:

Will upgrading My RAM from 4GB to 8GB and putting an SSD in, improve the performance in games and boot time?

Yes

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Would it be worth it in the long run?

It will cost me the same as the estimated second-hand selling price for my laptop.

Or should I just save for a PC?