AMD Ryzen Confirmed Launch Date and Pricing, 28/2/2017!!

JamieOlive
1 minute ago, leadeater said:

That is a much better explanation :). Was just a little concerned that it looked like you were saying we couldn't have the fine control if using an X, which would suck. Will be very interesting to see reviewers OC X and non-X variants, however don't the X variants have 95W TDP and non-X 65W TDP? Might actually meaning nothing but there may be something to that.

I think that the TDP is higher on the X models exactly for auto-OCing purposes.

I find TDP to be quite misleading these days. Any tweaks to frequency and voltage would mess with the TDP numbers, so I believe 65W and 95W are just an average or even a bar set for the CPUs from the factory.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

22 minutes ago, TorqueS said:

I think that the TDP is higher on the X models exactly for auto-OCing purposes.

I find TDP to be quite misleading these days. Any tweaks to frequency and voltage would mess with the TDP numbers, so I believe 65W and 95W are just an average or even a bar set for the CPUs from the factory.

True, TDP is actually thermal design power and is used for sizing the required cooler. It's not actually a power draw rating of the cpu, however these are not unrelated and easily confused.

19 minutes ago, leadeater said:

True, TDP is actually thermal design power and is used for sizing the required cooler. It's not actually a power draw rating of the cpu, however these are not unrelated and easily confused.

Especially when the chip manufacturers themselves use the term incorrectly.

I want to see independent proper benchmarks and not just hype. Hopefully we can get them sooner rather than later.

5 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

It won't differ much in gaming performance really though your graphics card will matter way more.

The main game I play is Cities: Skylines, a cpu heavy game, so cpu performance is relevant to me.

I'm really not seeing the confirmation.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

There isn't one. 

Then the title of this thread both angers and disappoints me.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

Then the title of this thread both angers and disappoints me.

It's because we're allowed to make shit up and support it with unofficial sources.  Nothing new.  Welcome to the hype train.  

If we speculate and talk about unconfirmed stuff enough, it helps it come true.  

You know, like the 1080ti and everything before that.

25 minutes ago, corevo said:

The main game I play is Cities: Skylines, a cpu heavy game, so cpu performance is relevant to me.

Right, though still I doubt there will be much performance difference really, specially noticeable one. But we'll see soon enough how everything stacks once Zen is released.

I also play all kinds of games be it GPU or CPU intensive. I have FX8350 which is way old as far as IPC per core performance yet I can play anything, along R9 290 also.

As far as Ryzen per core performance I'd say it will be twice of the FX8350 or so, but we'll see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'm really interested in that the $259 6/12 R5 1600X. Since all prices I've seen so far are in USD, I'm assuming when converted over to GBP, there is no VAT included (For us UK people). So converted over 1:1, that makes it £207.92 (as of 15/02/2017), add the 20% VAT, that brings it to £249.50. A little bit more than a 4/4 i5 6600K on Amazon. 

A 6 core/12 threaded CPU at the price of an i5 - now does that mean AMD is really undercutting Intel, or does it mean the architecture is not as up to snuff as people hope and needs the extra cores as a grunt to compete with Intel's few core chips? 

(I'm not saying its like that, its just a case of devils advocate...)

On the other hand, that 1700X is also interesting. 8/16 for $389. Doing the same conversion and assumptions, that puts it undercutting the i7 7700K (when not on sale, at a full retail price of £415 on Amazon) with a price of £375 and even in spitting distance of Intel's i7 6800K. 

Of course, these numbers I've come up with could totally be wrong, but either way, depending on the price/performance, Ryzen is starting to look really interesting. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

When will we see new AMD chips in laptops?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?