Forza Motorsport 5 vs. Gran Turismo 6 [Quality vs. Quantity)

forza_motorsport_4_vs_gran_turismo_5_by_

First off, I'm mostly a PC sim racer. The only experience I've had with console racers is the occasional Need For Speed title and Gran Turismo 5 (and Prologue) for the PS3. However, I think that the issue of quality vs. quantity comes up as an issue for racing titles across all platforms. 

For those who don't know, Gran Turismo 6 has already released the full list of 1,197 cars and 39 tracks that will be included in the game. Yes, the engine has been "updated" but if this is anything like the previous title, a few of them will be refreshes of previous inclusions, with the handful of standout, full-detail cars and tracks for gamers to enjoy. Forza Motorsport 5 on the otherhand has just announced that on launch, it will include only 200 cars and 14 tracks (300 cars less than the previous title). And here's where the issue comes in: GT aims to provide gamers with as much variety as possible for them to enjoy in their playstation simulator, with those "enthusiasts" who wish to reap the most benefits being provided with the best designed cars; this is the quantity aspect. FM aims to release a limited quantity of elements at launch so that they can emphasize the high level of quality put into each element, but by doing so they've chosen not to include staples such as the Suzuka Circuit and Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Both titles are obviously running different engines and have very different communities supporting them; the cars and tracks handle differently, but given the time players can use the tools at hand quite effectively and will find ways to enjoy each respective title. Both titles will have cars and tracks added on later in their life spans, but they will most likely be part of paid downloadable content. Which is all well and great, but depending how Polyphony Digital / Turn 10 handle these releases, next-gen console buying decisions may once again sway. Yes, they may add content through various patches but why not just spend the additional time improving the overall ecosystem such that you have a stronger presentation when the launch date actually arrives. So what are your thoughts? Would you invest in a title knowing that you would have to pay for additional content that may interest you (given the assumption that it will be paid content) or would you invest knowing that everything you want is already included at the time of purchase? Does the quality of the cars matter to you, or do you just want to drive your favourite cars? I know it's not financially feasible to include every track in the world (I've only found one racing sim that includes my home track, Mosport) but are you okay with tracks having multiple layouts if the track detail is sufficient?

Personally, as long as I can drive my favourite cars on my favourite tracks, I'd count it as a worthwhile investment. Which means, given the next gen consoles I'd probably go with the Playstation (noted, I have not and will not be purchasing either of the next gen consoles as I'm perfectly content with my PS3). With that being said, there are titles on the PC that I'm perfectly content with such that I personally have no interest in buying GT6 or FM5 (currently enjoying Shift 2 and looking into Project CARS).

Header image credit: Gamespot

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I think I'll buy GT6 since I've never played any of the Forza games (on the 360) and drifting seems really unrealistic in Forza compared to GT5.. Also, I can drift Tsukuba circuit, Nordshleife, and everything else in GT5 with correct tuning. On the PC, I drift playing a game called LFS which is as "realistic" as I can get to drifting. I drift with a Driving Force GT.

I am going for Forza and an Xbone. The customization and selection are great. Also, I don't have to level up to buy a nice car.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I'd buy forza 5, because the whole "Drivatar" thing sound nice and it looks a bit better for me.

I've always preferred forza because they go much more in depths with the models. Every car in forza is meticulously modelled inside and out whereas in GT they usually modeled the main vehicles well but the other 75% of the cars have models that are half assed and dont even have an interior model.

To me GT half asses multiple things to fit all they can in the game while forza does less but at least whole asses it

I am going for Forza and an Xbone. The customization and selection are great. Also, I don't have to level up to buy a nice car.

And the engines don't sound like vacuum cleaners.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I've never understood this criticism.

Gran Turismo 5 had a lot of high quality 'Premium Model' cars, which were of a higher graphical fidelity than anything in Forza. Higher resolution textures, higher polygon models, superior lighting and shadow models and more realistic reflections. They also had a massive amount of lower-quality models which they kept in order to facilitate those who had played the previous games and would have been disappointed at their removal from the game.

The low quality models were an added bonus. It wasn't a matter of 'quality vs quantity - it was entirely a matter of 'quality, then additional quantity'.

Also I much prefer the physics, handling, graphics and overall experience of Gran Turismo. It feels like a much more involved car enthusiast game - Forza is more arcade like I think, and excellent customisation options and tools.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

GT always looks good in those pre rendered screens. Then I got the game and i was like what is this junk.

My System:

CPU: i7 4790k @ stock GPU: EVGA GTX 780 FTW MB: ASUS Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi ac) RAM: CORSAIR Dominator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i SSD: 2 256 GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID-0 HDD: Western Digital 500 GB Black, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache PSU: Cooler Master V850 80 Plus Gold Case: Fractal Define R4

I find Gran Turismo 1 more of a driving simulator than any of the Forza games.

Rewinding you car out of the sand pit? REALLY? Stupid game.

"they've chosen not to include staples such as the Suzuka Circuit and Nurburgring Nordschleife."

Why turn 10. why you do this? :( My two favourite tracks.. Sure laguna seca is still in there (probably)..

But without the nordschleife i don't see the appeal :(.. The only track i've been around irl..

I'll stick with forza 4 until i can get a proper setup going for pc. Then i'll find some good racing game. (since im not going to buy next gen consoles)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I've never understood this criticism.

Gran Turismo 5 had a lot of high quality 'Premium Model' cars, which were of a higher graphical fidelity than anything in Forza. Higher resolution textures, higher polygon models, superior lighting and shadow models and more realistic reflections. They also had a massive amount of lower-quality models which they kept in order to facilitate those who had played the previous games and would have been disappointed at their removal from the game.

The low quality models were an added bonus. It wasn't a matter of 'quality vs quantity - it was entirely a matter of 'quality, then additional quantity'.

Also I much prefer the physics, handling, graphics and overall experience of Gran Turismo. It feels like a much more involved car enthusiast game - Forza is more arcade like I think, and excellent customisation options and tools.

Agreed, i never understood the complaint that not all the cars were "Premium" models. GT5 launched with over a thousand cars, a few hundred of those premium models. Not to mention Cart racing, Super GT, NASCAR and WRC. Plus weather and day night cycles. Forza 5 on xbone still does not feature day night/ weather... Gran Turismo: there is no substitute