YouTube co-founder wonders 'why the fuck' comments require a Google+ account

Gunzkewl

YouTube may have overhauled its much-maligned comments this week, but the service's co-founder is just not feeling it. Jawed Karim, one of YouTube's original creators, took to the comments for the first time in eight years and asked, "Why the fuck do I need a Google+ account to comment on a video?"

While it's unclear whether or not his account was hacked to make the comment, the user writing as Karim does appear to be voicing the confusion users might feel when the rollout is complete. Google's plan to fix the YouTube comment system was a tacit admission that it has the worst comments in the world. Instead of listing the usual offensive barbs that YouTube comments are known for, the new system will privilege the most "relevant" comments from the video creator, popular personalities, and your Google+ friends. Of course, you'll need a Google+ account to get started.

Source:http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5080630/youtube-co-founder-wonders-why-the-fuck-comments-require-a-google

maybe same reason you need a youtube account to post a comment before google?

maybe same reason you need a youtube account to post a comment before google?

It's different, you are using X website account but you need Y website account to comment.

I cannot agree with him anymore. I do not like this new system at all. It was a great joy to see the two top comments on the videos. Especially with the new refresh algorithm they had.

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

I understand what they are trying to do. The idea of having one login for all your google services is brilliant. They need to stop trying to integrate the services like this though. Not everyone wants to have google+ or Gmail etc.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

I hope it was actually him that said that, I hardly comment on YouTube videos because it's so terrible.

I make video responses ohhhh wAit

wait, since when does youtube have the worst comment section on the internet? I mean, they must be new around here........

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

I saw this! Yeah I don't think after all the marketing and analytics that Google do for youtube, they manage change something and everything hates it. Isn't it one of the first things you learn when designing web pages to use space effectively? Even on my 1080p monitor it only uses the left half... Really pissing me off.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

I saw this! Yeah I don't think after all the marketing and analytics that Google do for youtube, they manage change something and everything hates it. Isn't it one of the first things you learn when designing web pages to use space effectively? Even on my 1080p monitor it only uses the left half... Really pissing me off.

Doesn't do it in Firefox for me

He wasn't the youtubes co-founder though was he? All I thought he did was post the first video on youtube..

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

Doesn't do it in Firefox for me

5cjYO.png

Sorry big picture :P

But yeah, Chrome, Firefox (Aurora), IE it doesn't matter the layout is incredibly inefficient, why can't I have my subscriptions on the right, it'd make it better for everyone, quicker for me and I'm more likely to watch a video from a subscription if it's right there.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

I like the Google+ requirement, it definitely cut back the amount of stupid shit I used to see in the comments. Some will always get thru tho...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

A typical youtube comments thread

-on topic post

-thumbs up if you think Justin Bieber sucks (500 thumbs up)

-on topic post

-pls do not read this message. My firends niece read this message and her daughter died the next day. If you have read this message pass it on to break the curse.

-on topic post

-Post criticizing evolution and religious people

-next 100 posts religious argument

-on topic post

-Post about Obama

-next 100 posts political argument

-on topic post

All they did in the past two years: They broke the video player, they broke the framework, they removed features, they are lapdogs of the DMCAA attack bots from hell and they are trying to use YouTube as a weapon to force people to sign up for something as useless as Google+. And nothing of value was gained at all.

YouTube is dead to me now, I can't even properly watch a video in 1080p anymore without first disabling hardware acceleration --> reloading the page --> switching to 1080p again --> click the time track to force the 1080p stream in --> enable hardware acceleration --> Reload the page AGAIN --> set 1080p and click the time track AGAIN!!!

And in that convoluted process they always end up showing me at least 2 ads.

I am migrating all my content to Vimeo, and removing the YT subscriptions e-mail notifications and bookmark. Any of my subscriptions who doesn't go to a better service will have to do without my views, and that goes for Linus too.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I think that they should allow us to choose whether we use G+ instead of YouTube to post comments

I don't really get why people hate the new comments section. It used to be pretty bad and now  at least the Google+ requirements blocks some trolls.

-Post about Obama

-next 100 posts political argument

That reminded me of a prank call some guy from 4chan did to the US goverment when the government phone numbers leaked 

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1oV9d7ymZ0U

Please don't get offended, it's a freaking prank call.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Try and use YouTube Center.

It has an option where you can view your subscription page in a "grid box" rather than just the left side. I will post a picture when i get home later today.

YouTube Center has it's own extension on Opera, but for other browsers you have to use Userscripts and Tampermonkey(I don't know about FireFox though). It's definitely worth it.

Try and use YouTube Center.

It has an option where you can view your subscription page in a "grid box" rather than just the left side. I will post a picture when i get home later today.

YouTube Center has it's own extension on Opera, but for other browsers you have to use Userscripts and Tampermonkey(I don't know about FireFox though). It's definitely worth it.

YouTube Center wont work :(

Google to block Windows users from installing browser extensions not in Chrome Web Store

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/7/5077856/google-for-windows-to-prohibit-browser-extensions-not-in-chrome-web-store

YouTube Center wont work :(

Google to block Windows users from installing browser extensions not in Chrome Web Store

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/7/5077856/google-for-windows-to-prohibit-browser-extensions-not-in-chrome-web-store

Weird, I just installed Tampermonkey on Chrome and installed the YouTube Center Userscript just yesterday :huh: