EGPU gtx 1080 bandwidth limit using usb-c on new macbook pro

Go to solution Solved by Droidbot,
10 minutes ago, Felipesalomao said:

There is some benchmark or fps running 4k games on those setups available? Thanks 

https://egpu.io/forums/implementation-guides/late-2016-mbp-13-no-touchbar-powercolour-devil-box-gtx-980-setup/

980 benches are all I've found, sorry

I plan have only 1 setup for desktop and notebook. Will use new macbook pro with high speed usb-c/thunderbolt 3 to connect it to egpu, macbook thunderbolt 3 support 40 gb/s bandwidth. I plan use gtx 1080, my goal for gpu is VR (for that will run Windows on macbook), I will buy htc vive. 

My main question is, it's possible use gtx 1080 on macbook through egpu using thunderbolt 3 and get full performance (usb-c/thunderbolt 3 by some way won't  limit gtx 1080 performance (bandwidth limit maybe)?

Setup would be:

Macbook Pro

EGPU that support thunderbolt 3 40gb/s bandwidth 

GTX 1080

USB-C Monitor

Henger dock (just dock macbook and I have theoricaliy full desktop power). 

If possible, you think I will get enough performance for HTC vive? 

Thanks

Theoretically you can use the GPU at full bandwidth. But I wouldn't bother using an external GPU with a MacBook, it's gonna be too much hassle.

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

The guys at eGPU.io can help you here - they're the place for MBP2016 eGPU

idk

I''ve seen videos of people trying to do this, and the macbooks don't support it and barely work with them at all.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

46 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

I''ve seen videos of people trying to do this, and the macbooks don't support it and barely work with them at all.

I know that running mac its have too much problems. My goal is use mac os for daily use and use Windows (bootcamp) for gaming (vr htc vive) and video render. Theoricaliy it should work, as thunderbolt 3 bandwidth not have gap.. But in real life, someone already tried it? Would be perfect setup. Power when docked (and full desktop, keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc + external gpu) and portability when undocked, all using just one beautiful machine.. I think if macbook have i7 + good ssd, only big gap is gpu. I really would like to know if it would work, if could handle full VR like htc vive running Windows. 

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

The guys at eGPU.io can help you here - they're the place for MBP2016 eGPU

Will research about them. Do you know someone that tried this setup, macbook pro 2016 + external gpu through thunderbolt 3 + gtx 1080, what was result in gaming fps, vr, etc when run Windows (I know that egpu on Mac OS is a problem, will use mac os only for daily tasks..)

1 minute ago, Felipesalomao said:

Will research about them. Do you know someone that tried this setup, macbook pro 2016 + external gpu through thunderbolt 3 + gtx 1080, what was result in gaming fps, vr, etc when run Windows (I know that egpu on Mac OS is a problem, will use mac os only for daily tasks..)

There's some with 1050Tis, one with a 1070 afaik. 

idk

28 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

There's some with 1050Tis, one with a 1070 afaik. 

There is some benchmark or fps running 4k games on those setups available? Thanks