If Linux supported all games and software would you switch?

TheFlyingSquirrel

Linux or Windows  

90 members have voted

1. 1. If both supoprted all of your appplications and games, would you switch?

• I would move to Linux
    • I would stay with Windows
    • I already use Linux
    • Bro, I use Mac

1 hour ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Windows 10 requires 1.2-1.4 GB on launch, Arch Linux Cinnamon is 480MB.

Lets leave the conversation there, you clearly haven't actually used Linux.

Windows 10 adapts its RAM usage based on how much RAM you have. I have already shown this on this forum.

With 2GB of RAM, my smallest RAM stick, Windows consumes ~700MB of RAM.

The more RAM you have, the more WIndows will consume by having it loads more stuff in it for delivering the most responsive experience to the user. In aidditon, you have SuperFetch which gets to consume more RAM so that programs that you use often starts faster (partially pre-loads them).

RAM is meant to be used, and Windows is very efficient at that, all by not reserving RAM. You need more RAM? then SuperFetch frees t on the fly, Windows unloads stuff from RAM... It will try to avoid using the pagefile the most it can. So it can happen that you have a program that conumes more RAM, but the overall RAM usage remains to similar level. In the ideal world, your RAM usage is always at 100%, when as you open programs things unloads to allow the porgram to be used. Your RAM will always be faster than your super fast NVMe drive in RAID 0. This is also why RAMDisk, under modern Windows, is mostly useless in real world envorement, becaue you have SuperFetch. 

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 adapts its RAM usage based on how much RAM you have. I have already shown this on this forum.

With 2GB of RAM, my smallest RAM stick, Windows consumes ~700MB of RAM.

The more RAM you have, the more WIndows will consume by having it loads more stuff in it for delivering the most responsive experience to the user. In aidditon, you have SuperFetch which gets to consume more RAM so that programs that you use often starts faster (partially pre-loads them).

RAM is meant to be used, and Windows is very efficient at that, all by not reserving RAM. You need more RAM? then SuperFetch frees t on the fly, Windows unloads stuff fro RAM... It will try to avoid using the pagefile the most it can. So it can happen that you have a program that conumes more RAM, but the overall RAM usage remains to similar level. In the idea world, your RAM usage is always at 100%, when as you open programs things unloads to allow the porgram to be used. Your RAM will always be faster than your super fast NVMe drive in RAID 0. This is also why RAMDisk, under modern Windows, is mostly useless in real world envorement, becaue you have SuperFetch. 

Now that is extremely interesting,  I haven't worked with sub 8GB gig machines in a while, guess i never noticed.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

@GoodBytes Agree everything except ramdisk - I'm using it for years, more and more. But maybe for different tasks - as temporary daily erased drive for temporary export files, downloads that I don't want to keep after I using them etc. When I do that using hdd/ssd I mostly ended with hundreds of trash files every week. Now I recommend ramdisk to everyone. Every day in work I made few gigabytes of useless files (useful for a moment like previews of project or graphics export to other program). Ramdisk is something I know that will be erased when I shutdown my computer. And I like it. :) It's also very convenient to type "z:\filename.sth" in filename field without browsing for folder.

49 minutes ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Yes, why not, it is a byproduct of linux, just like  Window Enterprise or Server edition.

No. I dont' go, Boot in Windwos 10 Home for gaming, boot into Windows 10 Server for workstation... etc. to have the best experience for each tasks.

Some people on this forum installed Windows Servers as their main OS. They play games, and they are fine, they have virtually the same experience as Home eition user. Hardware support is the same. The worst they get is a driver setup OS check issue, which can be by-passed via the file property window of the setup/program. But that is the worst you'll get.

There are multiple scaling modes not just fractional scaling.

Not seing, Mind sharing a picture, and how it scales?

You might have issues with drivers, i haven't.  No denial, just factual.  If i had issues i would be honest about it.

Yea but that is like me going: I never had an issue with Windows and I am on the Windows Insider Fast Ring. While true... that is oviously not the realit of things by looking at this forum.

Xonar Control Panel is propertiary, the Alsa suite + installing AlsaMixer replaces the control panel, not entirely convenient true, but you get all the features.

Well there you go, workarrounds. No proper support, let alone full one.

Not an insult, you don't give user admin rights on enterprise machines for a reason, it is risk mitigation you need to stop users from doing themselves harm.  Either A by restricting functionality or B hiding it or C education. 

The point is, you can be an experience and confortable in the platform, but humans are not perfect, let alone life... and mistake happens. Heck you might have done rm -rf * on a directory under root, now you moved to the root of the drive, left for 2 sec, and now your cat decide to jump on your desk and walk on your keyboard, and now up and enter was pressed. Now, what do you do? My point is, shit happens, and baisc protection even as root, should be put. Like in Windows, it doesnt' really block you. If you want to delete System32 you still can.. but you need to do a lot of work to do it within the system.

I was saying Windows isn't file locked. 

Sure it is. Locks on file can be put, and a file in use can't be deleted or moved. Of course you dont' have to do this, as a developer, but this is the convention and default behavior. 

13 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

But maybe for different tasks - as temporary daily erased drive for temporary export files, downloads that I don't want to keep after I using them etc.

Nice on what you said. In my head I was more pointing on the performance of things of using RAMDisk, as this was the selling point until people realized that it was not worth teh hassel. You have a specific use case, which is nice.

That said, one can say (I am not arguing, but being informative, and if you knew this, than might be useful for other readers):

Windows has a Temp folder. When you do Open in your web browser as you download something, it puts it in the Temp folder. Windows 10 can delete old downloads from the Download folder as well.

Ramdisk is something I know that will be erased when I shutdown my computer.

It can lead to mistakes. something you wanted to keep is now gone. You are better off the reverse. And considering that storage is so cheap, even SSDs, I dont' think it is an issue.

And I like it. :) It's also very convenient to type "z:\filename.sth" in filename field without browsing for folder.

Well, just some fun fact, you can make a folder as a drive under Windows. So, if you want to make, say, the Download folder be the X:\ drive, then you can. you'll have both. X:\ will just link to the Download folder. You can do this easilly from Windiws Disk Management utility.

@GoodBytes I know that (about letter to any folder). I can even use "subst" instead of using Windows Disk Management to add letter to any directory. After years of using ramdisk, I know exactly what I want to put in there. But my method of working on computer is probably different than 98% of people. Now I'm using 10GB ram disk, so even encoding small videos I made using it. :) You know, years ago I had temporary directory for temporary (private) files. And it grows and grows, and I was never sure if I want to delete something for sure or not. After few years I realized that this small temporary folder become one of largest folders in my hard drive, with LOT of files, subdirectories etc. Maybe some people can keep order - I'm not one of them. So for me it must be something that I know that will be GONE after reset, no matter what. :) And, as a bonus, it's really fast drive. :)

I have to use fucking Windows 10 right now...
my answer is right there...
ofcouse I would, and try to set it to look like Windows 7 or Windows XP

Desktop PC: Stone PC Lite

APU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics @ 3,6GHz,
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-R,
RAM: 16GB, Storage: 1TB HDD,
DVD ± RW Drive
Display: 900p (1600x900) 17,5" display,

Fujitsu Siemens keyboard, Easterntimes Tech D-19 wireless ergonomic mouse,
Windows 10 Pro

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laptop: HP ProBook 6475b

APU: AMD A6-5350m APU with Radeon HD Graphics @ 2,9GHz,
RAM: 4GB, 320GB HDD,
900p (1600x900) 14" display,
DVD ± RW Drive,
Windows 10 Pro

No, I would not, because Linux still wouldn't have any advantage over any of my other operating systems. I don't change a running system.

Write in C.

If my Steam library was fully compatible, I'd dump Windows in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll keep using Windows on my desktop.
I happily run Ubuntu on my laptop already, Windows 10 and 7 are just too much for it and at this point, Linux is the only thing keeping it going.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect