Possible to Undo Raid 0?

Lyle912

I currently have an MSI GS70 2PE Stealth Pro gaming laptop. I'm finally upgrading and building my own my own gaming computer. I was wondering if it's possible to move one of the SSDs from my laptop to my new desktop? Currently my laptop has 3 SSDs running in Raid 0. I don't know much about the technical side of things, so I was just curious if it was possible to move all my data from the 3 SSDs to 2, and then safely remove the third one without losing any data? (Side note: I currently have all the data from the SSDs backed up to a portable hard drive.) Any help or advice would be very appreciated, thank you! 

(Don't know if the following information will help but: )

Drive: C:
Free Space: 193.3 GB
Total Space: 364.8 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Intel Raid 0 Volume

well, sure, what you need to do is copy off all data somewhere else, reconfigure the raid, and put the data back in a way you can still boot off of it.

but no, it's not a matter of pressing a magical "eject this drive from the raid" button :P

As far as I know, you can only undo a raid by formating the drives, because fragments of the data are spread across all drives

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jvNnH

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

well, sure, what you need to do is copy off all data somewhere else, reconfigure the raid, and put the data back in a way you can still boot off of it.

but no, it's not a matter of pressing a magical "eject this drive from the raid" button :P

Can you go more into depth about "putting the data back in a way you can still boot off it" (or link me to an article / video that talks about it).

One of my concerns is that after re-configuring, and reloading the data and all that, I won't have Windows 10 anymore (maybe this is just me being stupid and new to all this), and I'll have to re-buy it since Windows came pre-installed on my laptop and I don't have a product key or anything.

1 minute ago, Lyle912 said:

Can you go more into depth about "putting the data back in a way you can still boot off it" (or link me to an article / video that talks about it).

One of my concerns is that after re-configuring, and reloading the data and all that, I won't have Windows 10 anymore (maybe this is just me being stupid and new to all this), and I'll have to re-buy it since Windows came pre-installed on my laptop and I don't have a product key or anything.

Your product key is linked to your laptop's mainboard. It will acitvate itself automaticlly

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jvNnH

3 minutes ago, Lyle912 said:

Isn't there a Windows code on your power brick or on the laptop itself?

What he means is connect an external drive, and move all of the data you want to keep onto it. (I think).

Then move the data back over.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A RAID is seen in software as one drive. Just mirror the entire thing onto another drive, boot off the new drive to ensure it works properly, then proceed to format RAID drives. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A RAID is seen in software as one drive. Just mirror the entire thing onto another drive, boot off the new drive to ensure it works properly, then proceed to format RAID drives. 

I'm sorry for this dumb question, but is booting off a new drive as symbol as making up backup onto an external hard drive (or just copy and pasting my entire C: Drive), then going into the bios and telling it to boot of that drive? Or will I have to make a drive just with windows on it? Again I apologize for being so new and bad at this stuff

4 minutes ago, Lyle912 said:

I'm sorry for this dumb question, but is booting off a new drive as symbol as making up backup onto an external hard drive (or just copy and pasting my entire C: Drive), then going into the bios and telling it to boot of that drive? Or will I have to make a drive just with windows on it? Again I apologize for being so new and bad at this stuff

make a image of the boot drive using somethign like dd or macrum reflect. Then you can put that image on a external drive or a network share. Then delete the raid in the bios, and copy the image back.

17 minutes ago, Lyle912 said:

well, what i'd do is load up a linux usb stick to first shrink the partition with gparted, then use dd to copy it over to a scratch disk, set up the new raid, dd the image back over, and thne use gparted to expand the partition to the full size of the disk.

but i feel like that explanation is probably slightly over your head :D

Get a new drive, they're not that expensive.  Sandisk is like $75 for 240GB, it'd be far less stressful than dicking around raid. 

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

make a image of the boot drive using somethign like dd or macrum reflect. Then you can put that image on a external drive or a network share. Then delete the raid in the bios, and copy the image back.

11 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, what i'd do is load up a linux usb stick to first shrink the partition with gparted, then use dd to copy it over to a scratch disk, set up the new raid, dd the image back over, and thne use gparted to expand the partition to the full size of the disk.

but i feel like that explanation is probably slightly over your head :D

So I think I understand everything, just want to make one last check. What I've done so far is: Cope and Paste my C Drive onto external hardrive, Use the windows backup tool to make a backup onto the external hardrive, and used Macrium Reflect to make an image now saved on the external hardrive. Now I'm gonna restart my computer, go into the BIOS, and find a way to delete the raid. Then go and remove 1 of the SSDs from my computer. Then reboot my computer from the external hardrive (still a bit confused on this part (i.e. if I'll need a specific folder with just the OS, or how'll the computer will be able to find my Windows 10 to boot from - I'm a noob I know)), and transfer my C Drive / Backup / Image from the external hard drive, back onto the now 2 SSDs. Then restart my computer again, go into the BIOS, and tell it to boot from the SSDs, and go on with my day and my new SSD. Is this all right, or am I missing a step  / completely wrong? Again thank you for all your help!

2 minutes ago, Lyle912 said:

So I think I understand everything, just want to make one last check. What I've done so far is: Cope and Paste my C Drive onto external hardrive, Use the windows backup tool to make a backup onto the external hardrive, and used Macrium Reflect to make an image now saved on the external hardrive. Now I'm gonna restart my computer, go into the BIOS, and find a way to delete the raid. Then go and remove 1 of the SSDs from my computer. Then reboot my computer from the external hardrive (still a bit confused on this part (i.e. if I'll need a specific folder with just the OS, or how'll the computer will be able to find my Windows 10 to boot from - I'm a noob I know)), and transfer my C Drive / Backup / Image from the external hard drive, back onto the now 2 SSDs. Then restart my computer again, go into the BIOS, and tell it to boot from the SSDs, and go on with my day and my new SSD. Is this all right, or am I missing a step  / completely wrong? Again thank you for all your help!

Thats not gonna work.

Make sure you using less that half of the space of the drive, then go in diskmgmt, and shrink the volume.

Then boot into linux from a usb or network. Use dd to copy the raid volume to the hdd. THen delete the array and copy the image back and expand the partittion.

29 minutes ago, Lyle912 said:

Mirroring a drive is what is required, and you will need a new drive for this. A copy/paste will not work. Mirroring your drive replicates your data, boot files and all settings onto the new drive. After that, it should be as simple as putting in this new drive and booting from it.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…