Pc Security cameras?

llahneb

I'm looking to add a video surveillance system that is based in my pc, I'm trying to find PCIe dir. cards that will write and rewrite automatically 24/7 to a wd purple but i'm finding very few of them. Does anyone know where to find them or do they just not exist?

You could just use IP Cameras that write to a drive over the network. You can set up remote management and viewing fairly easy with most. 

I'm finding a lot of ip cameras but I haven't found any that write to a hdd just to a micro sd card

Would something like a webcam not be an option?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I was thinking about getting a Logitech c922 if I could set that up to constantly write to a wd purple hdd that would work as well

I have the c920 and it has good video imaging. I'd try a solution like that, since for the most part is plug and (download driver and) play. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

How do you get it to constantly write to a drive?

I believe thats up to software at that point. 

4 hours ago, llahneb said:

I'm finding a lot of ip cameras but I haven't found any that write to a hdd just to a micro sd card

Doesn't IP stand for internet protocol? you'd be setting it up to your network to save directly into the HDD you want. i would assume the micro SD card is not for mass storage maybe it for network failure, backup if server breaks/ Someone steals it? 

I think you need to read up quite a bit more on security systems.  First off is their a reason you want to run it from your PC and not a DVR / NVR.  Are you aware of how much of your CPU power it will eat up processing all that video?  As said before the cameras don't do the recording its all handled on the software side.

Second you need to know some basic differences between cameras.

-CCTV old school system that uses coax and HAS to go to a compatible DVR.  these require two different cables to be ran power and signal. 

-IP  These connect using your regular old Ethernet jacks but still require a separate power cable to be ran.  They can plug right into your router and you can monitor them from any PC on that network.

-POE IP  this is the best route and as every camera only requires one single cable to be ran.  That being said a bit more hardware is required in the form of either a POE injector or a NVR with POE ports.  It works the same as the IP camera above just makes running cables simpler.  (if the camera is pan/tilt/zoom (ptz) you still need the separate power cable to move the camera)

Now for recording blue iris software is probably what you want to use its loaded with features and is compatible with 99% of IP cameras.  It will allow you to choose what when and how you record those incoming streams.  As well as giving you the framework to simultaneously view all your cameras.

But with NVRs being as cheap as they are I highly suggest getting one of those as opposed to tasking your PC with it.  You still get all the functionality without the CPU performance hit.  Hell for a beginner there definatly the way to go since they are so much simpler to set up.

I find the hikvision stuff to be the best bang for your buck and so many of the kits you buy in stores are just these rebranded.

13 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

I think you need to read up quite a bit more on security systems.  First off is their a reason you want to run it from your PC and not a DVR / NVR.  Are you aware of how much of your CPU power it will eat up processing all that video?  As said before the cameras don't do the recording its all handled on the software side.

Second you need to know some basic differences between cameras.

-CCTV old school system that uses coax and HAS to go to a compatible DVR.  these require two different cables to be ran power and signal. 

-IP  These connect using your regular old Ethernet jacks but still require a separate power cable to be ran.  They can plug right into your router and you can monitor them from any PC on that network.

-POE IP  this is the best route and as every camera only requires one single cable to be ran.  That being said a bit more hardware is required in the form of either a POE injector or a NVR with POE ports.  It works the same as the IP camera above just makes running cables simpler.  (if the camera is pan/tilt/zoom (ptz) you still need the separate power cable to move the camera)

Now for recording blue iris software is probably what you want to use its loaded with features and is compatible with 99% of IP cameras.  It will allow you to choose what when and how you record those incoming streams.  As well as giving you the framework to simultaneously view all your cameras.

But with NVRs being as cheap as they are I highly suggest getting one of those as opposed to tasking your PC with it.  You still get all the functionality without the CPU performance hit.  Hell for a beginner there definatly the way to go since they are so much simpler to set up.

I find the hikvision stuff to be the best bang for your buck and so many of the kits you buy in stores are just these rebranded.

As my first post that's why I was tring to find a pcie dvr