Stupid stuff your school/jobs blocks

DiamondShark286

I am making this post because my school has finally done the stupidest thing the could do and blocked linustechtips.com but in the past the have blocked much stupider things at one point the managed to block my online mathe book. I was wondering what other stupid things peoples schools have blocked.

The filter we're subscribed to at work blocks The Verge, which is super annoying.

One day they blocked Reddit out of the blue. The next day it was unblocked because reasons ;)

My office blocks Photobucket and anything with "Forum" or "Blog" in the URL. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

There's 2 Wifi network at work. One for the "core staff" (managers and other scumbags of the earth), the other for "visitors". Regular employees aren't allowed to have either regardless of the reason.

Is that stupid enough?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Work is currently blocking all and every known internet Webmail sites like gmail, yahoo, etc. 

all it took was one idiot opening a virus on their computer that they got from their yahoo email.

that, and they've also decided to block copy and pasting through RDP sessions. Which, as someone who supports clients servers, is a pain in the bloody rear end

also imgur is blocked. don't affect work, but would be nice :P

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

Reddit, kinda annoying considering almost everything else I use isn't blocked including steam.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

In my school they don't even know how to block websites. the whole school is just a pathetic pentesting playground

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

13 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

In my school they don't even know how to block websites. the whole school is just a pathetic pentesting playground

Thats how my old school was they also left cmd unblocked with admin privliges and finally they switched to seperate users for each student instead of one central student account then they were dumb enough to switch from normal desktops to a windows multipoint server which took 30 minutes to detect a flash drive.(not an exageration) 

1 hour ago, Sprawlie said:

Work is currently blocking all and every known internet Webmail sites like gmail, yahoo, etc. 

all it took was one idiot opening a virus on their computer that they got from their yahoo email.

that, and they've also decided to block copy and pasting through RDP sessions. Which, as someone who supports clients servers, is a pain in the bloody rear end

also imgur is blocked. don't affect work, but would be nice :P

That might be the stupidest thing to block ever no email for anyone 

The only thing my school has blocked that I've figured out is Komplett.se a site much like newegg and such. Is there btw any way to check all sites that the school has blocked? And you get them in a list or something.

The world "model."

Seriously, if you google search anything containing the world "model" you're pushed to a "this webpage contains inappropriate content" page.

And they don't block the word "models."

They also block the speedsolving wiki for "prohibited games content."

I haven't yet found a video game wiki that was blocked.

YouTube. That sounds mundane, but think about it, that's a massive resource. They're just making it a pain in the ass to do work that involves videos.

They don't block Twitch.

Nvidia's GeForce website, for "prohibited games content."

They don't block AMD's.

I've run into intermittent blocks on Intel Ark.

My US history teacher once had a handout that talked about the Non-Intercourse Act, and when he printed it through the School's printers, it became the "Non- Act."

In the same document, "Propaganda" became "Proda."

By far the most stupid part:

My school's network redirects you to a logon page before you can access it. It's horribly set up, it often forgets you logged on after 5 minutes and starts redirecting you again, sometimes it just keeps doing it constantly, and one time, for a day or two, they blocked that.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, MacHiver said:

The only thing my school has blocked that I've figured out is Komplett.se a site much like newegg and such. Is there btw any way to check all sites that the school has blocked? And you get them in a list or something.

Does it tell yoy what servace is blocking it because you might be able to check their website. My school at one point blocked us.gigabyte.com but noy www.gigabyte.com like wtf.

2 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

Thats how my old school was they also left cmd unblocked with admin privliges and finally they switched to seperate users for each student instead of one central student account then they were dumb enough to switch from normal desktops to a windows multipoint server which took 30 minutes to detect a flash drive.

My school: useless AV, separate admin account with a password so idiotic it took me seconds to bruteforce, network router has the same admin password as the admin account, BIOS isn't password protected (a friend of mine managed to install hackintosh on a pc) and those who should manage all the IT stuff are so damn stupid they think that a student installed hackintosh throu wifi with a phone. 

The only decent thing that they've done is MAC filter clients in the network. Too bad it took me a simple MAC spoof to bypass this

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

2 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

My school: useless AV, separate admin account with a password so idiotic it took me seconds to bruteforce, network router has the same admin password as the admin account, BIOS isn't password protected (a friend of mine managed to install hackintosh on a pc) and those who should manage all the IT stuff are so damn stupid they think that a student installed hackintosh throu wifi with a phone. 

The only decent thing that they've done is MAC filter clients in the network. Too bad it took me a simple MAC spoof to bypass this

I just wlked past 3 acess points and it tried to redirect me all 3 times evn though i signed in 30 secomds ago.

5 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

The world "model."

Seriously, if you google search anything containing the world "model" you're pushed to a "this webpage contains inappropriate content" page.

And they don't block the word "models."

They also block the speedsolving wiki for "prohibited games content."

I haven't yet found a video game wiki that was blocked.

YouTube. That sounds mundane, but think about it, that's a massive resource. They're just making it a pain in the ass to do work that involves videos.

They don't block Twitch.

Nvidia's GeForce website, for "prohibited games content."

They don't block AMD's.

I've run into intermittent blocks on Intel Ark.

My US history teacher once had a handout that talked about the Non-Intercourse Act, and when he printed it through the School's printers, it became the "Non- Act."

In the same document, "Propaganda" became "Proda."

By far the most stupid part:

My school's network redirects you to a logon page before you can access it. It's horribly set up, it often forgets you logged on after 5 minutes and starts redirecting you again, sometimes it just keeps doing it constantly, and one time, for a day or two, they blocked that.

Yea my school recently blocked pretty much anything tech related they blocked 90% hardware manufacture sites and intel ark and now this forum but all wenstore sites are unblocked like ebay.com and amazon.com

23 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I work in the film industry.  Our workstations have no internet as a security measure.   You guys can cry me a river. :P

That sounds like the biggest unnessecary security measure ever

Work is pretty reasonable when it comes to block it: Only obvious time wasters like youtube, facebook, steam and twitter are fully blocked but all things that could be useful for work are free.

And even the stuff that is blocked has a quota acces: you get 15 minutes per day on the "blocked" sites (not all of them but some) in case someone really needs to watch a video tutorial on youtube or something they can get to it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Tb428 said:

That sounds like the biggest unnessecary security measure ever

Imagine a building that holds a treasure trove of unleaked upcoming feature film content.  Now imagine if any idiot could use the 50gbe internet connection that would otherwise be heavily restricted to upload that content anywhere on the internet they wanted.  Imagine the lawsuits to follow.

Still sound unnecessary?

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Imagine a build that holds a treasure trove of unleaked upcoming feature film content.  Now imagine if any idiot could use the 50gbe internet connection that would otherwise be heavily restricted to upload that content anywhere on the internet they wanted.  Imagine the lawsuits to follow.

Still sound unnecessary?

Yes because you have to a complete dumbass to even try doing that but i guess they would rather be safe than sorry

Fun fact: You can view the google cached web pages of blocked website ;)

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...Do you think that you live in a world where dumbasses don't exist or something?

Good point

23 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Fun fact: You can view the google cached web pages of blocked website ;)

Not on school chromebooks they don't just block websites on wifi they block directly on the chromebook its annoying af