Skylake non -k overclocking experiences

1 minute ago, LukaH said:

it is not officially supported is the name of the problem 

but it is possible because Intel disconnected the bus Speeds from the baseclock  in skylake. Intel must have had an Intention with that

Still need modified bios. I did it with i3-6100, got it to 4.6 GHz with 1h RealBench stability test at up to 1.4v. AVX is broken (still present but performance isn't there) and I lost the ability to view individual core temperatures, although in my case I still saw the package temp. iGPU doesn't work so you need add in GPU. I found RealBench to be a good first test to quickly find instability. It would crash faster than Aida64, OCCT, Prime95 would...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Still need modified bios. I did it with i3-6100, got it to 4.6 GHz with 1h RealBench stability test at up to 1.4v. AVX is broken (still present but performance isn't there) and I lost the ability to view individual core temperatures, although in my case I still saw the package temp. iGPU doesn't work so you need add in GPU. I found RealBench to be a good first test to quickly find instability. It would crash faster than Aida64, OCCT, Prime95 would...

yes. modified bios is a must, because Intel forced the manufacturers to disable this function after asrock introduced it

6 minutes ago, porina said:

my i5 6500 tops out at 4.4ghz 1.4 Volts  with a msi z170a pc mate

ok yes you "can" overclock it but it was a mistake on intels part. it was the motherboard makers that released a modified bios so you could OC the CPU but i think there were some trouble in doing so in some specific cases i cant remember. nobody really talked about massive gains or that it was super duper worth it so... meh better buy an i3 7xxxK if you want to OC on the cheap

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

26 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

Just post experiences and Problems about non k oc into this topic!

Problems:

• loss of iGPU
  • loss of AVX
  • loss of thermal sensors (must get readings from PECI)
  • loss of 75% cache speeds
  • loss of C-States
  • forced to use antiquated bios versions

As for my experience, it's... okay. Nothing spectacular, and certainly nothing to warrant much attention. The money saved from buying a locked i5 over an unlocked i5 simply isn't worth the losses of the aforementioned features, and being limited by the internal clock gen (depending on board) hinders your potential overclock. Using an i5 6400 or 6600T, you are limited to a maximum BCLK of 170 (4.59ghz) unless your board has an external clock gen. Chances are, if you sprung for a board that could afford the external clock gen, the extra $20-$40 for the unlocked i5 shouldn't have been out of the question in the first place.

For Pentiums and i3's, it makes slightly more sense as these chips don't get much value out of AVX (Pentiums outright don't have AVX) and their power consumption is already so low that loss of C-States and thermal sensors don't really matter. Performance gained from overclocking these chips isn't that great however, and one would be better off buying a locked i5 anyways. It's fun to do, but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone go this route if they were trying to save money for a gaming PC on a budget. There are just many better alternatives out there.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, LukaH said:

ok yes you "can" overclock it but it was a mistake on intels part. it was the motherboard makers that released a modified bios so you could OC the CPU but i think there were some trouble in doing so in some specific cases i cant remember. nobody really talked about massive gains or that it was super duper worth it so... meh better buy an i3 7xxxK if you want to OC on the cheap

no it was a mistake on intels part to lock the locked cpus in the first place:P also the i3 7350k is a ripoff and worse in pretty much every way than an oc'ed 6400. 

i had 3 z170 boards, 7 locked cpus and 1 unlocked cpu,  the only difference in performance i saw was in intel xtu. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016