Cheapest 1060 and 1070 equipped laptops

Hey,

I recently started college here in the States, and my old laptop isn't holding up to the amount of work I need it to do. I need a portable solution with high specs and a low price (being a self-supported college student isn't exactly the easiest way to save money). I have a budget of less than $1400 US, and have the following minimum requirements:

8GB or more of RAM  

250GB or more internal storage (or user replaceable storage)  

Quad-core CPU (no need for special features, just at least 2GHz per core)  

Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1070  

Everything else can be as low-end as possible, I just need these requirements at the cheapest possible price in a laptop.

for an idea of what I'm looking at, the Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DB71 is as close as I have found at the lowest price.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Ulincsys said:

Hey,

I recently started college here in the States, and my old laptop isn't holding up to the amount of work I need it to do. I need a portable solution with high specs and a low price (being a self-supported college student isn't exactly the easiest way to save money). I have a budget of less than $1400 US, and have the following minimum requirements:

8GB or more of RAM  

250GB or more internal storage (or user replaceable storage)  

Quad-core CPU (no need for special features, just at least 2GHz per core)  

Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1070  

Everything else can be as low-end as possible, I just need these requirements at the cheapest possible price in a laptop.

for an idea of what I'm looking at, the Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DB71 is as close as I have found at the lowest price.

Thanks!

Isn't that laptop a bit too big for college? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP62MVR-Leopard-Pro-406-Performance/dp/B01MY2NJSH/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1486524325&sr=1-8&keywords=MSI+GP62 The best I could find. Though its the GTX 1060 3 GB which isn't exactly much. Has the latest 7700HQ though!

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

3 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Looks really heavy, no offence.

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

get a desktop and a laptop instead of investing in a laptop only. 

The whole point is he needs a laptop for college which is also powerful. Get off of here if you want to suggest PC instead of suggesting him a laptop.

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

its just as heavy as the one you were looking at. 

performs far better too. has better quality of life. is built with aluminum. is just better.

Laptop Main

The ROG strix is big, but it's thin and light (and battery life isn't too shabby either). What I'm really looking for right now though is the absolute lowest price point.

at the lowest price you will get shit cooling and a thermal throttling proc aswell as subpar build. spend some extra money and get a decent machine, it's worth it. 

idk

4 minutes ago, Ulincsys said:

thin and light

• Overview
  • Specifications
  • Warranty & Returns
  • Reviews
  • Q&A

Learn more about the Eluktronics P650RP6

Dimensions & Weight

Dimensions (W x D x H)
15.16" x 10.66" x 1.0"
Weight
5 - 5.9 lbs.

Item Dimensions 16.5 x 10.8 x 0.9 in      
Item Weight 6 lbs
41kpxOvCfML._SL500_AC_SS100_.jpg
This item Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DB71 17.3-Inch. G-SYNC VR Ready Thin and Light Gaming Laptop (NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB Intel Core i7-6700HQ 16GB DDR4 1TB 7200RPM HDD)

thinner by 0.1 inch. same weight. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

at the lowest price you will get shit cooling and a thermal throttling proc aswell as subpar build. spend some extra money and get a decent machine, it's worth it. 

I understand that, but where is the extra money going to come from? The purpose of this post is to find the absolute lowest price for the minimum specifications.

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:
ADD TO CART 
  • $1,199.95
  • + FREE SHIPPING AVAILABLE

thinner by 0.1 inch. same weight. 

I was commenting specifically on the remark that the ROG strix wasn't "Too big for college", not that it was thinner or lighter than any other suggestions.

2 minutes ago, Ulincsys said:

I was commenting specifically on the remark that the ROG strix wasn't "Too big for college", not that it was thinner or lighter than any other suggestions.

yeah, I meant to quote this one below. sorry about that 

15 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

4 minutes ago, Ulincsys said:

I understand that, but where is the extra money going to come from? The purpose of this post is to find the absolute lowest price for the minimum specifications.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100157995 100&IsNodeId=1&Description=1060&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

Check the open-box deals here. There's 1060 machines for as low as $1100 with a 1060 6GB

idk

26 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

The whole point is he needs a laptop for college which is also powerful. Get off of here if you want to suggest PC instead of suggesting him a laptop.

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

I appreciate your notion, but my situation is different from that.

1. I am in several programming and multimedia classes that utilize applications which require much more processing power then you'll find in even a $500 notebook   

2. I need a computer that has the capacity to power through multiple resource demanding processes at once on the go (IE: Image editing, video editing, compiling).  

3. I do not have a desktop computer, nor do I have the budget space to purchase two separate computers, both with the power to work on my assignments.  

4. Owning a desktop computer is NOT an option for me, regardless of the cost benefit.  

5 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

That video is coming from a guy that has 4 videos and 30k subscribers. He barely makes videos so his video isn't an excuse since he probably doesn't know anything about laptops.

1 minute ago, NoNamer12345 said:

That video is coming from a guy that has 4 videos and 30k subscribers. He barely makes videos so his video isn't an excuse since he probably doesn't know anything about laptops.

44k. And what does it matter? It's a good video. It gives some good points on both sides of the argument, especially now that laptops have desktop-tier cards

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

44k. And what does it matter? It's a good video. It gives some good points on both sides of the argument, especially now that laptops have desktop-tier cards

The thing is, how can you believe a guy who got popular with 4 videos? 4 videos he made with each video having 4 months. difference.

8 minutes ago, NoNamer12345 said:

The thing is, how can you believe a guy who got popular with 4 videos? 4 videos he made with each video having 4 months. difference.

college student. time is really scarce to make videos when you're working and studying

idk

26 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

college student. time is really scarce to make videos when you're working and studying

no, i wouldn't trust the guy with anything tech related. guy doesn't know wtf a sshd is. and then says chromebooks are great daily drivers when he uses a macbook pro for himself. please. no.

Laptop Main

7 hours ago, Pendragon said:

no, i wouldn't trust the guy with anything tech related. guy doesn't know wtf a sshd is. and then says chromebooks are great daily drivers when he uses a macbook pro for himself. please. no.

well you must know a lot, in university i used a used Thinkpad and a desktop as my main pc. i got a MacBook pro 15 inch my as a gift after i graduated. just because someone uses a certain os it doesn't mean they know nothing, i use windows in a MacBook and i can tell you MacBook pro have the best looking and solid hardware as a laptop a MacBook pro 15 inch retina 2016 is one of the best laptop you can get. shitty "gaming laptop" that weigh 10 pounds and have a battery life of 2 to 3 hours is not a good "laptop". please look at the information rather than your own bias. he is trying to say that you really don't need a shitty bad build quality "gaming" laptop when you can build a desktop and a laptop. even if you are going into engineering you can get by with a thinkpad and a low-end gpu as most program i used, uses gpu acceleration rather than big gpus. 

13 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

well you must know a lot, in university i used a used Thinkpad and a desktop as my main pc. i got a MacBook pro 15 inch my as a gift after i graduated. just because someone uses a certain os it doesn't mean they know nothing, i use windows in a MacBook and i can tell you MacBook pro have the best looking and solid hardware as a laptop a MacBook pro 15 inch retina 2016 is one of the best laptop you can get. shitty "gaming laptop" that weigh 10 pounds and have a battery life of 2 to 3 hours is not a good "laptop". please look at the information rather than your own bias. he is trying to say that you really don't need a shitty bad build quality "gaming" laptop when you can build a desktop and a laptop. even if you are going into engineering you can get by with a thinkpad and a low-end gpu as most program i used, uses gpu acceleration rather than big gpus. 

wtf are you saying??? I use have a Macbook Pro LOL. I don't think you understood what I wrote. I wasn't bashing about the Macbook Pro. (Which I have and I still think it's a terrible professional laptop). He has no idea what he's talking about because Chromebooks at that kind of price point are shit. Has never used a Chromebook himself cause he uses a Macbook Pro so he doesn't have a dog in the fight saying Chromebooks are great. Spec wise sure. Price wise sure. When you actually need to do work, you're shit out of luck. Need to go to a place without wifi? Fucked. Wifi down for a bit? Fucked. Doesn't know what a SSHD is. Doesn't know how to build a PC or know that it needs to include monitors and peripherals into the price. Doesn't understand that at the 1000 dollar price point, it's hard to get both a laptop and decently specced PC. You could get a used Thinkpad and a meh built PC at best (please include a decent monitor and peripherals like a webcam and microphone in a PC because those are still required). Also, PCs are immobile as fuck. He also compares the WORSE laptops for value, like Alienware's and Razer's. You could get a great 1000 dollar laptop with 6 hour battery life, relatively light.

Laptop Main

4 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

wtf are you saying??? I use have a Macbook Pro LOL. I don't think you understood what I wrote. I wasn't bashing about the Macbook Pro. (Which I have and I still think it's a terrible professional laptop). He has no idea what he's talking about because Chromebooks at that kind of price point are shit. Has never used a Chromebook himself cause he uses a Macbook Pro so he doesn't have a dog in the fight saying Chromebooks are great. Spec wise sure. Price wise sure. When you actually need to do work, you're shit out of luck. Need to go to a place without wifi? Fucked. Wifi down for a bit? Fucked. Doesn't know what a SSHD is. Doesn't know how to build a PC or know that it needs to include monitors and peripherals into the price. Doesn't understand that at the 1000 dollar price point, it's hard to get both a laptop and decently specced PC. You could get a used Thinkpad and a meh built PC at best (please include a decent monitor and peripherals like a webcam and microphone in a PC because those are still required). Also, PCs are immobile as fuck. He also compares the WORSE laptops for value, like Alienware's and Razer's. You could get a great 1000 dollar laptop with 6 hour battery life, relatively light.

If the mods would ever respond to my initial message about stickying the guide, I almost want to follow up with a message about gaming laptop pricing.  

People still think Alienwares at MSRP are what you should expect to pay for a gaming machine...  Linus's love of Razer makes people also think that's the dream machine.

I'm tempted to make a guide showing what you should expect to spend for a certain gpu.  If your spending 2000 dollars for a 1060 your doing it wrong.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo

1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

wtf are you saying??? I use a Macbook Pro LOL. I don't think you understood what I wrote. I wasn't bashing about the Macbook Pro. (Which I have and I still think it's a terrible professional laptop). He has no idea what he's talking about because Chromebooks at that kind of price point are shit. Has never used a Chromebook himself cause he uses a Macbook Pro so he doesn't have a dog in the fight saying Chromebooks are great. Spec wise sure. Price wise sure. When you actually need to do work, you're shit out of luck. Need to go to a place without wifi? Fucked. Wifi down for a bit? Fucked. Doesn't know what a SSHD is. Doesn't know how to build a PC or know that it needs to include monitors and peripherals into the price. Doesn't understand that at the 1000 dollar price point, it's hard to get both a laptop and decently specced PC. You could get a used Thinkpad and a meh built PC at best (please include a decent monitor and peripherals like a webcam and microphone in a PC because those are still required). Also, PCs are immobile as fuck. He also compares the WORSE laptops for value, like Alienware's and Razer's. You could get a great 1000 dollar laptop with 6 hour battery life, relatively light.

no offence but you really don't understand much without your bias leaking out, (which MacBook pro do you have?) SSDHD are not great, 8gb of ssd for your os is not enough also constant slowness and really bad pricing. get me a laptop that has 6 hours of battery life not very heavy, "relatively light" yea a gt titan is very light compared to my car. a lot of people use MacBooks as a pro laptop, lot of my coworker uses MacBook for AutoCAD, Revit to looking at a spreadsheet. yes you can use it depending on the job you have. please understand my point of view that no one wants to lug around a heavy laptop unless they have to. my friend had a Alienware 15 inch, he lasted for a week lugging around that garbage. unless you have a video editing or a job that requires lots of power no one wants to carry around an big gaming laptop which has 6 hours of battery life when turned off.