Recommend me a gaming laptop

Hey guys!

Just before making me feel miserable for wanting a gaming laptop I'd like to say that I live quite a mobile life as a programmer, travelling to different countries, and carrying a desktop everywhere is not a solution :)

So let's get to the topic: I'd like to get myself a gaming laptop 'till summer at a decent price, meaning that overpriced machines are not welcome (yes, I'm talking about you, Alienware, Razer and the other guys).

Currently I live in Budapest, Hungary, so there isn't quite any possibility to order myself a Clevo, Sager, etc.... or is it? Not quite sure...

I was thinking about an ASUS GL502VS with an intel i7 6700HQ, GTX 1070 8GB, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD for 1775 euros ($1895) local price, yet I'd be interested in other machines too in w a similar price (including shipping in case) and global warranty.

Feel free to recommend me a laptop or should I be waiting for this summer's AMD lineup?

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, MEZesUBI said:

Hey guys!

Just before making me feel miserable for wanting a gaming laptop I'd like to say that I live quite a mobile life as a programmer, travelling to different countries, and carrying a desktop everywhere is not a solution :)

So let's get to the topic: I'd like to get myself a gaming laptop 'till summer at a decent price, meaning that overpriced machines are not welcome (yes, I'm talking about you, Alienware, Razer and the other guys).

Currently I live in Budapest, Hungary, so there isn't quite any possibility to order myself a Clevo, Sager, etc.... or is it? Not quite sure...

I was thinking about an ASUS GL502VS with an intel i7 6700HQ, GTX 1070 8GB, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD for 1775 euros ($1895) local price, yet I'd be interested in other machines too in w a similar price (including shipping in case) and global warranty.

Feel free to recommend me a laptop or should I be waiting for this summer's AMD lineup?

Cheers!

What kind of games do you play? That laptop is a beast, even for more demanding titles, so I think you're good as long as you can get it where you are at.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, JR8 said:

What kind of games do you play? That laptop is a beast, even for more demanding titles, so I think you're good as long as you can get it where you are at.

I play mostly story driven games. I'm not an eSport driven kind'a person. Mostly talking abourt titles like Assassin's Creed Unity + Syndicate, Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, more demanding games.

Just want to make sure my purchase would last for a couple of years, meaning that I don't want to replace it with a better one in a year :)

13 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Checking it out now, thank you! :)

3 minutes ago, MEZesUBI said:

I play mostly story driven games. I'm not an eSport driven kind'a person. Mostly talking abourt titles like Assassin's Creed Unity + Syndicate, Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, more demanding games.

Just want to make sure my purchase would last for a couple of years, meaning that I don't want to replace it with a better one in a year :)

Checking it out now, thank you! :)

Maybe you should look into having a mobile rig of some kind.... Like Bitwit's LAN party rig he updated recently... The games you play are quite CPU intensive as well as GPU intensive and you might benefit from that, just a thought.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

22 minutes ago, MEZesUBI said:

Hey guys!

Cheers!

Yeah i mean thats a great Laptop in terms of specs. I know you want it to last and a 1070 will last at 1080p for a long time on say high settings in the future ultra now. its the desktop 1070 they dont do mobile versions so thats even better.  sometimes ultra has some garbage 1 or 2 improvements that tank FPS that will probably have to be turned off in the future but thats about it. 

The Nvidia cards seem to have locked down mobile since there very lower power cards with high performance. I dont think AMD will have an laptop answer to the 1070 but you also never know.

Personally im more into thin and lighter laptops and would go with like the alienware 13 1060 or blade 1060 for the small forms  since i want to use it as a laptop i had a old gaming laptop that was 17 inches and 10ish pounds was a beast to carry around in a backpack ect.  so im not up on crazy big laptops for a decent equal alternate. 

9 minutes ago, MEZesUBI said:

Unfortunately these series do not come with the latest Pascal GPU-s. But still thanks for the link :)

There's one with a 1060 in it: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NH.Q23AA.001

Also for 2000 dollars you probably won't find anything with more than a 1060 in it (maybe a 1070 if your lucky)

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

8 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Maybe you should look into having a mobile rig of some kind.... Like Bitwit's LAN party rig he updated recently... The games you play are quite CPU intensive as well as GPU intensive and you might benefit from that, just a thought.

The i7 6700HQ will be just fine for running games at the pannels refresh rate i dont see anything on the product page showing its like a 144hz or anything it says G sync and it  is probably less then 75HZ. It should not struggle with that type of frame rate 

3 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

There's one with a 1060 in it: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NH.Q23AA.001

Also for 2000 dollars you probably won't find anything with more than a 1060 in it (maybe a 1070 if your lucky)

He already posted a Laptop under 2k with a 1070... Euro price.  This laptops pretty cheap in america too only $1599  Gsync pannel 16gb ram 1070 SSD & HDD not bad at all.

Look around here https://us.msi.com/Laptops/

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Ever since I bought one of their barebones I've been hooked on clevo laptops, this little company sells a model without ram or storage so you can add your own (at a cheaper price) build quality is pretty good and on the right settings can last through binge watching a season of Archer. The only downside is that does get kinda hot for my liking but then again I hate anything going over 60C under full load :p. (1070 model) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S14YK2087&cm_re=eluktronics_barebones-_-9SIA8S14YK2087-_-Product

(1060 Model) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S14XJ2215&cm_re=eluktronics_barebones-_-9SIA8S14XJ2215-_-Product

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

32 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

Ever since I bought one of their barebones I've been hooked on clevo laptops, this little company sells a model without ram or storage so you can add your own (at a cheaper price) build quality is pretty good and on the right settings can last through binge watching a season of Archer. The only downside is that does get kinda hot for my liking but then again I hate anything going over 60C under full load :p. (1070 model) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S14YK2087&cm_re=eluktronics_barebones-_-9SIA8S14YK2087-_-Product

(1060 Model) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S14XJ2215&cm_re=eluktronics_barebones-_-9SIA8S14XJ2215-_-Product

The only problem is that NewEgg doesn't ship to most of the EU countries. I'll still consider looking into this model if it's worth it.

2 hours ago, MEZesUBI said:

so there isn't quite any possibility to order myself a Clevo, Sager

Um, can you order from UK or Poland?

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

17 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Depends on the shipping services. There are several companies which ship internationally free or with shipping fee. Unfortunately most of the American colleagues do not support this service.

21 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

or Portugal (obsidian PC)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

Yeah, I looked at the second one, as I'm interested only in Pascal GPU models. Yet this one is slightly more expensive than the Asus I targeted. 

18 minutes ago, MEZesUBI said:

Yeah, I looked at the second one, as I'm interested only in Pascal GPU models. Yet this one is slightly more expensive than the Asus I targeted. 

I'm guessing the extra price comes from the fact that it has a 7700HQ instead of a 6700HQ and because it has a 120hz display.

System

1 hour ago, MEZesUBI said:

Also a 980 even the desktop in the laptops  is slower then the 1070 

I would recommend holding of your decision till March if you can. Aside from MSI and Dell, some laptop manufacturers are rolling out Pascal with Kaby Lake in March which isn't that far out. We will have a refresh of the Aspire V Nitro series from Acer, and a few more models which would greatly increase your choices and let you make a better decision.

PC in Profile

12 hours ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

I would recommend holding of your decision till March if you can. Aside from MSI and Dell, some laptop manufacturers are rolling out Pascal with Kaby Lake in March which isn't that far out. We will have a refresh of the Aspire V Nitro series from Acer, and a few more models which would greatly increase your choices and let you make a better decision.

Thanks for the info :)

I looked at the Aspire V Nitro series laptops and have to say that I'm impressed. The only thing I'm not sure about is the size - thermal support ratio. I mean these beauties are quite slim and they're set up with two separate coolers for CPU and GPU, yet I'm afraid of the possibility of thermal throttling due to its size.

Isn't focusing on the Predator series more considerable? I mean the Predator series are not that expensive compared to other manufacturers big sized gaming laptops, and are equipped with a quite good thermal system