Mechanical Keyboard

Hello all. I am currently using Razer Starcraft Marauders (have 2 sealed, got am on sales, got rid of the third one yday) and a brand new Microsoft Sidewinder x4 (using it since yday, wanted a change). Still, although having 2 more spare keyboards to use, I want to make a big step and get my first mechanical. Since I am married and kids have.. oversensitive ears, I need this mech keyboard to be silent so first of all, what switches should I get (brown or red) and second, please suggest me a keyboard with less than 150 euros (don't care much for those high end multicolored chroma versions tbh). Finally, between the Corsair k70 and Strafe, which one would you choose? 

Strafe with MX Silents. They're blues without the click noise, like Reds.

idk

Browns or reds are the most comment non-clicky switches; up to you which you prefer. You can also fit a Cherry keyboard with O-rings that make it a LOT quieter when you "bottom out" (fully press) the keys

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

26 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Browns or reds are the most comment non-clicky switches; up to you which you prefer. You can also fit a Cherry keyboard with O-rings that make it a LOT quieter when you "bottom out" (fully press) the keys

Can you define which switch is more silent? Brown or Red? I don't care much if Reds are more gaming oriented, I just intend to buy the most silent one (probably by picking a Corsair and not Razer).

10 minutes ago, Krinidon said:

Can you define which switch is more silent? Brown or Red? I don't care much if Reds are more gaming oriented, I just intend to buy the most silent one (probably by picking a Corsair and not Razer).

well, neither makes noise other than the noise from bottoming out the key (pushing it all the way down). If you can learn to use the keyboard without having to push the keys all the way down (the "actuation point" is not the bottom of the key, you only have to push it part way down), then you can use either one silently. imo it is easier to actuate the Browns because they have a tactile (but silent) bump when the key is actuated. Reds on the other hand are completely linear and you don't feel anything.

I have a device that features 9 different Cherry MX switches and in my opinion it's easiest to use the Brown quietly.

But, if you're bottoming out the key then it is going to make a noise, no matter what switch you get. As I said O-rings will make a big difference against bottoming out noise.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

14 minutes ago, Krinidon said:

Hi,

Reds and Browns are both silent, the difference is that you can feel when you actuate the switch when pressing the key with Browns. But the keys themselves make a clacky noise when they hit against the base of the keyboard - this can be resolved with o-rings or dampeners as @treeroy mentioned.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3