[updated] Anybody tried the Fallout 4 High Resolution texture pack? It's out now

Misanthrope

I'm curious to know how much is it hitting performance, if it truly needs a 6 core i7 and a 1080.

Updated: We have some testing by Joker:

-------

Current Rig

-------

I too would love to see how a bump in textures can suddenly make the game require a 6 core processor ಠ_ಠ

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I too would love to see how a bump in textures can suddenly make the game require a 6 core processor ಠ_ಠ

And hyperthreading too

RIP i5 users

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not an expert, but does the game engine even support 6 cores? 

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

*shakes 8 ball*

All signs point to: No!

But alas I'd like to see...before committing to downloading 60gb that is.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

*shakes 8 ball*

what we need is someone with a 6 core intel processor to run the benchmark twice, once with all 6 cores one with 2 disabled 

7 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

*shakes 8 ball*

yes, some games take advantage of 6 cores, in the future, we will have higher cores CPU. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yes, some games take advantage of 6 cores, in the future, we will have higher cores CPU. 

Some but we're talking this game that afaik doesn't or should not need 6 cores and 12 threads as this texture pack recommends.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Some but we're talking this game that afaik doesn't or should not need 6 cores and 12 threads as this texture pack recommends.

that's just poor part of the developer, but the statement on game engine supporting 6 cores. in the future cpus will be more powerful and games will take advantages of these as an example bf1 is a vary cpu heavy game it uses all 6 cores in a 5820k.  

I want to know why the hell everything is uncompressed. I'm willing to bet that there is no reason for this pack to be so damned huge and def no reason for such high requirements.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I want to know why the hell everything is uncompressed. I'm willing to bet that there is no reason for this pack to be so damned huge and def no reason for such high requirements.

I also would like to know. My personal theory: Bethesda has spend millions and millions on dollars on this game but still hasn't invested in texture compression methods their fans can mod on their own personal time: Ultimate fucking laziness: "People have big hard drives and tons of VRAM just push it uncompressed."

-------

Current Rig

-------

this texture pack is a decent excuse to play the game again, but with no mods. i'm nowhere near meeting the supposed requirements but hey, i can do what i want! 

though i probably won't be able to install it on my SSD... 

First hint at the "why" behind the ridiculous specs here:

Also, it's probably not worth downloading 58 GB of textures for Fallout 4 if you don't have a high-resolution monitor. The texture pack adds essentially no visual improvements for those with a 1080p monitor, and the difference is small at best on a 1440p display. On a 4K display you should notice increased sharpness and added detail across all objects and scenery in the Boston area.

Honestly if it focuses on 4k then they're basically giving you minimum specs to sustain 60 FPS at 4k and has nothing to do with the texture size. Still doesn't explain the huge size but well I guess we'll have to wait for someone to properly test it.

EDIT: Joker tested it, and the impact provided you have the vram seems minimal:

-------

Current Rig

-------

I see nothing here what mods dont do way better. Nice its free, but i see no Reason for a DL at all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I have it installed and I like it. I think the space needed for it is silly.
I will use it along side other texture mods, so anything they don't take car of, the texture pack will.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

First hint at the "why" behind the ridiculous specs here:

Honestly if it focuses on 4k then they're basically giving you minimum specs to sustain 60 FPS at 4k and has nothing to do with the texture size. Still doesn't explain the huge size but well I guess we'll have to wait for someone to properly test it.

EDIT: Joker tested it, and the impact provided you have the vram seems minimal:

RIP GTX970 

I remember the original textures where poorly optimized, so hopefully someone can do something with these. Although not sure if this would be enough to get me back into it and  this is the first fallout game I didnt buy the DLC for.

7 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

RIP GTX970 

I remember the original textures where poorly optimized, so hopefully someone can do something with these. Although not sure if this would be enough to get me back into it and  this is the first fallout game I didnt buy the DLC for.

There are Mods which are way better. There is almost no difference with this 58GB  "High Res" Pack.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

6 minutes ago, Praesi said:

There are Mods which are way better. There is almost no difference with this 58GB  "High Res" Pack.

wouldn't it be hilarious if bethesda just downloaded a variety of texture mods and bundled it all into one package and reshipped it? :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wouldn't it be hilarious if bethesda just downloaded a variety of texture mods and bundled it all into one package and reshipped it? :P 

It would be the better choice for sure :P

I like Bethesda and that they do extra work, but serious, this Pack is a Joke.

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Impossible: file size would be too reasonable for their taste.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Fun fact:

Spoiler

Random facts:

• Cubemaps, effects and head textures haven't been touched.
  • There are many duplicate files that greatly increase the download size by around 10 GB, there's a list of them in the sheet.
  • Duplicate means the file size, dimensions and format are the same.
  • Almost all BC5 (normal/specular) and BC3 (diffuse with alpha) are included.
  • Only a little more than half of BC1 (diffuse without alpha) textures are included, mostly due to the missing head textures.

Number of texture files?

• Vanilla: 40963
  • HD DLC: 36623
  • Excluded from the HD DLC: 4688
  • Identical duplicates in the HD DLC: 22414

What percentage of dimensions are 512x512?

• Vanilla: 52.91%
  • HD DLC: 47.71%

What percentage of dimensions are 1024x1024?

• Vanilla: 32.58%
  • HD DLC: 10.54%

What percentage of dimensions are 2048x2048?

• Vanilla: 6.22%
  • HD DLC: 28.46%

What percentage of dimensions are 4096x4096?

• Vanilla: 0.06%
  • HD DLC: 5.10%

Distribution of the texture format?

Vanilla:

• BC1: 13628
  • BC2: 2
  • BC3: 15685
  • BC5: 11314
  • BC7: 1
  • R8: 2
  • B8G8R8A8: 330

HD DLC:

• BC1: 9642
  • BC2: 2
  • BC3: 15638
  • BC5: 11054
  • BC7: 1
  • R8: 2
  • B8G8R8A8: 283

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5343765-hd-dlc-technical-details/

Around 10 GB of junk and nearly half of the textures are 512x512 ... NICE!

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan