Samsung laptop weirdness

Automobili3XF

I picked up a laptop from a colleague at work just to do a basic hdd format and Windows install, like i do it all the time.

But this time the laptop decided it would be a pita. It was a Samsung NP270E4E.

For a start a number of keys on the keyboard do not work, including the right arow key, thus making it impossible to navigate the bios on the laptop, and i can't use an external keyboard of any kind, i tried my trusty K400R, a Dell keyboard, a HP keyboard, a Lenovo keyboard and none worked, since it will only detect external input devices when booted on the OS.

Fine, i yanked the HDD out and made the system installation on my own machine, hoping it would boot just fine on the laptop, but it wasn't the case. Apparently the secure boot has to be deactivated on the BIOS for the HDD to be detected as the primary boot device, and for that to happen a need a keyboard with working arrow keys, a figure of 8 back to the beginning.

And the keyboard isn't removable either, like it would be on well design laptops like my Acer 5536, its secured to the external shell with melted plastic pegs on the bottom.

So now what? Replace the entire shell?

P.S.: Before anyone asks, the Windows key i was going to use on this laptop was bought by said colleague at Kinguin, like Paul explains on this video.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

2 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

I picked up a laptop from a colleague at work just to do a basic hdd format and Windows install, like i do it all the time.

But this time the laptop decided it would be a pita. It was a Samsung NP270E4E.

For a start a number of keys on the keyboard do not work, including the right arow key, thus making it impossible to navigate the bios on the laptop, and i can't use an external keyboard of any kind, i tried my trusty K400R, a Dell keyboard, a HP keyboard, a Lenovo keyboard and none worked, since it will only detect external input devices when booted on the OS.

Fine, i yanked the HDD out and made the system installation on my own machine, hoping it would boot just fine on the laptop, but it wasn't the case. Apparently the secure boot has to be deactivated on the BIOS for the HDD to be detected as the primary boot device, and for that to happen a need a keyboard with working arrow keys, a figure of 8 back to the beginning.

And the keyboard isn't removable either, like it would be on well design laptops like my Acer 5536, its secured to the external shell with melted plastic pegs on the bottom.

So now what? Replace the entire shell?

So first, you should be able to boot into bios by fail booting, once or 3 times on some machines,

to fail boot, you need to hold down he power button in between the bios screen with spinning dots and before the windows lock screen, you want the pc to shutdown during that period, if successful, during the next boot you will get a screen with 2 buttons, hit the one does NOT say "restart normally", then hit troubleshoot, adcvanced options and then uefi firmware settings or bios settings

I had this problem on a laptop last week, do you know how to access the keyboard ribbon cable, if not youtube some disssassemblies for your laptop. The keyboard connector is likely loose (it wont look loose) but you should take it out and reinsert it

It normally involves, removing all covers from the back, then all screws, the hard drive and optical drive, then flipping the laptop over, open the hinge so you can see the keyboard and pry the top plastic (the keyboard is fixed to) up.

I had this issue last week of troubles getting into bios when I cannot actually disable secureboot

3 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

So first, you should be able to boot into bios by fail booting, once or 3 times on some machines,

to fail boot, you need to hold down he power button in between the bios screen with spinning dots and before the windows lock screen, you want the pc to shutdown during that period, if successful, during the next boot you will get a screen with 2 buttons, hit the one does NOT say "restart normally", then hit troubleshoot, adcvanced options and then uefi firmware settings or bios settings

I had this problem on a laptop last week, do you know how to access the keyboard ribbon cable, if not youtube some disssassemblies for your laptop. The keyboard connector is likely loose (it wont look loose) but you should take it out and reinsert it

It normally involves, removing all covers from the back, then all screws, the hard drive and optical drive, then flipping the laptop over, open the hinge so you can see the keyboard and pry the top plastic (the keyboard is fixed to) up.

From what I read, the OP can get into the BIOS, but can't navigate through it because of the broken keyboard and the lack of external input. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

From what I read, the OP can get into the BIOS, but can't navigate through it because of the broken keyboard and the lack of external input. 

Precisely

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

1 minute ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Precisely

my bad, just check the keyboard cable then, its most likely your problem.

Its always been the problem on the 5 times ive had laptop keyboards half work
Sorry I cant read. In my defence im playing games whilst reading

1 minute ago, kris2340k said:

my bad, just check the keyboard cable then, its most likely your problem.

Its always been the problem on the 5 times ive had laptop keyboards half work
Sorry I cant read. In my defence im playing games whilst reading

No problem, i understand.

I already tried to clean the end of the ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard, no sucess.

No problem, i understand.

I already tried to clean the end of the ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard, no sucess.

Have you got USB keyboards to spare then?

1 minute ago, kris2340k said:

Have you got USB keyboards to spare then?

I have, but like i said, it doesn't detect external input devices outside the OS due the BIOS security options built in.

I tested with some different models.

I have, but like i said, it doesn't detect external input devices outside the OS due the BIOS security options built in.

I tested with some different models.

Have you tried using other keys, such as PGUP/PGDN?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I tried now, they navigate up and down on the bios, but no side to side, which is what i need.