Things you wished you would have known before building your first pc?

VicRik
On 2017-02-04 at 11:15 AM, VicRik said:

Title explains itself, about to build my first PC so I thought it would be useful to hear what you guys have to say about this!

-avoid AMD CPU

-get the best CPU/platform you can afford

-don,t listen to people saying ''get the best GPU you can afford and skimp on CPU''

-buy a powerful CPU because a platform upgrade is a PAIN and selling cpu/motherboard is tuff

-you can go lower end on GPU because they are a quick fix, easy sell and they go outdated fast, where as a powerful CPU will last your 3 to 5 years easily

-don't buy a cheap powersupply...and buy something with more wattage than you need so that you can upgrade later without worries

-buy your windows 10 key on kinguin

that's all i can think of right now...

-buy a case with soundproofing material if you care about noise

-don't buy a watercooler they are wasted money, they sound like an aquarium and they don't last very long,.,,buy a good aircooler instead with a good fan they are quieter and last forever.

-get a 120gb SSD for boot and programs, buy a cheap one they are all pretty fast these days anyways.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Don't throw away the packaging until you're sure the PC is good.

I had a bum PSU but since I threw away the packaging, I couldn't return it.

i keep all the boxes that way when i sell stuff for upgrades it's easier to find buyers and also if my machine get stolen i have all the boxes to prove my insurrance company i actually owned the thing :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On 04/02/2017 at 8:05 PM, Bxboy420 said:

Pc/console has its fair share of trolls as the internet should know this by now.

The thing I miss about consoles is more that if someone wanted to talk shit, they either did it over voice or messaged you - no in game chat (which of course has its benefits which is why i tend not to disable/hide it)

21 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

please explain?

I installed one DIMM upside down, because it clicked on one side and I thought that it was in. (I didn't know that half the slots were upside down, so yeaaaahhhh) xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402